Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats ticking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Todd, your Customer Story is great!
Thank you for being an early adopter. I wish I had been as well.
We have a Customer Story as well-- from June of 2016. A Model S surprise

Vern & Sandy
The Watertown MA service center took care of that problem in my 2013 P85 10K miles ago. It hasn't been a problem since. My Model S now has 45K miles and is remarkably rattle-free. One area to be aware of however: if Tesla Service removes the interior trim on your doors more than twice, you might want to request that they replace the nylon retaining clips that hold the trim in place. The speaker grilles and the uppermost trim piece (just below the window) seem to be the first parts to require clip replacement ... This is an area where Tesla would have benefitted from having a former Audi or BMW interior engineer involved in the interior planning. It's the kind of stuff that luxury car makers glean from decades of refinement, much of it invisible to the owner but important nonetheless. Tesla does perform a rattle test on every vehicle at the end of the assembly line, but of course this does not account for the effects of several years of driving.

Last edited:
Try driving without your seatbelt for a minute and see if it stops. I noticed that my seatbelt makes these sounds.

We have a 2015, S85D. The ticking sound in our car was caused by the lower plastic shroud, around the seat belt where it is bolted onto the floor mount.
Try placing a micro fiber towel between the seat bottom's frame and the seat belt shrouding.
The seat belt's plastic shrouding was bouncing against the seat bottoms hard plastic frame.
Our SC fix was to place a felt pad between the seat belt's housing and the seat bottom housing.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Nice fix, Vern!
Thanks Todd.
Drove the car from L.A. area to Las Vegas and back last night and today.
No noise from the seat.
That 40-stall Baker SC is awesome!
And we saw our first Model 3 there! A white one belonging to Vince of the Design Studios at Hawthorne. He said he's had it 3 or 4 days and everyone at every SC comes up to look at it, just like I did. It looked so good. Really a nice-looking car.

Just bought a used S85D from Tesla, and it came with a ticking passenger seat. Does anyone have the text of the bulletin where this is allegedly addressed? RONC9827006695
We don't have a bulletin text, but if you jam your clean rag down in the space between your driver's seat, and the console, you can buffer the space that produces that annoying noise. Or a sheet of waxed paper. Or junk mail.

Anything fixed this issue? My next gen driver seat does that. Driving me nuts lol
Yep. Traded the Model S for a Taycan, no more ticking, and overall so much quieter cabin. ;)

Just kidding (ok, not entirely, I did trade it for a Taycan). I did have Tesla change the seat out back in 2015 when it first started happening, but it only helped for a short time. Then it was happening on and off for a while, then it either stopped, my brain completely tuned it out, or it got drowned out by other noises, because I have no recollection of the seats ticking for a few years before selling it (I owned it for almost 8 years). So perhaps it self heals after some time?