Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E and combined electric rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering, when people throw numbers out like $.09, $.12 per kwh, are they taking into account the other fees as well?

There is still the flat "generation rate" per kwh that gets added to that, as well as transmission charge as well. Its come out to about $.25-.$28 kwh with TOU-5 and you still gotta pay the flat $16 monthly fee.

Granted still not as expensive as 91 octane gas for my turbo car, but wow!

Just wondering, when people throw numbers out like $.09, $.12 per kwh, are they taking into account the other fees as well?

There is still the flat "generation rate" per kwh that gets added to that, as well as transmission charge as well. Its come out to about $.25-.$28 kwh with TOU-5 and you still gotta pay the flat $16 monthly fee.

For EV-TOU-5, the rates are $0.53, $0.29, and $.093 (summer on-peak, off-peak, super off-peak, respectively). That includes transmission, generation, and everything else, except for the $16/month flat fee.

Here's the most up-to-rate rate for EV-TOU-5: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/6-1-19 Schedule EV-TOU-5 Total Rates Table.pdf

And here is a useful link to the total electric rates for every SDG&E rate schedule: Total Electric Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

• Informative
Reactions: liuping
I'll also add that my EV-TOU-5 bill is only a few hundred dollars per year (not including the EV credit SDG&E gave me this year, which will make my true up bill negative). That includes a 3kW solar array installed in 2012 that's paid for itself already, and one electric car which I use for virtually all my driving. I don't commute very far, but if it did, it's only a few cents/mile in marginal fuel costs. A gasoline car would cost me at least four times as much in marginal fuel costs, at today's gas rates.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

I have been wondering about some the same things you mentioned. Now that it is November and the winter rates kicked in, I'm looking at my current bill and unless I am reading something wrong, I think supercharging might actually be cheaper all things considered.

I'm on TOU-DR1 and charge on 120V during the so-called super off peak times.

I have been wondering about some the same things you mentioned. Now that it is November and the winter rates kicked in, I'm looking at my current bill and unless I am reading something wrong, I think supercharging might actually be cheaper all things considered.

I'm on TOU-DR1 and charge on 120V during the so-called super off peak times.

Switch to EV-TOU-5! You'll only pay 9 cents/kWh plus $16/month at home, versus 28 cents/kWh at a supercharger. Unless you do very little driving, you'll come at way ahead by charging at home.

Although, TOU-DR1 is cheaper at other times of day than EV-TOU-5, if you stay under the baseline. I suggest using SDG&E's rate calculator to see which rate plan would be cheapest for you. (Log into your account and select "Finding the Right Time-of-Use Plan".)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and mnml