Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to leave sleeping kid in car in garage with A/C running?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have an issue with keeping the A/C on. I believe it turns off automatically if the doors are shut and no one is in the driver seat. This can be overridden with the mobile app, but I'm not sure how long that lasts.

The other thing to think about is that the A/C just pumps heat from the inside of the car to the inside of your garage. This will raise the temperature of the garage, and at some point the A/C may not be able to cope, if the heat has nowhere to escape to.

This. There are tricks but without them the AC will turn off after 15 minutes, or 30 minutes if using the app.

My daughter is 6, so she can buckle/unbuckle herself and walk into the house upon awakening. I suspect a viable work-around to the car shutting itself off is leaving a door partially open. Also, leaving the garage door open to allow adequate venting of the heat from the car would prevent heating up the garage too much.

Thanks for all the replies.

Even the partially open door will cause the car to shut off its systems after 30 minutes. There is one way to leave them on without a driver in the seat, it's the same instructions used for drive-in movies. Take the car out of park - doesn't matter which of reverse/neutral/drive - and use the touchscreen, not the stalk, to engage the parking brake, which leaves the car in neutral with the parking brake set. This, however, leaves the car in the "on" mode which would allow anyone to jump into the driver's seat, shift into reverse, and take off without the key present. So, obviously with kids present, it may not be a really viable solution either.