Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article theorizes that U.S. experimental longshot drone is responsible for A-50 downings.

Careful what you wish for, lol. A US/Russian alliance first move would be to divy up Canada.

Yeah, that might be their 2nd move, but their 1st move would be to divy up the Arctic. Offshore drilling in sea ice, with the occassional floating iceburg, anyone? If folks think the regional military conflict in Ukraine is bad, just wait until the first big oil spill in -2C coastal waters.

Have I mentioned the Arctic Gyre yet? Never-ending international ecological diaster awaits. Remember when Saddam set the Kuwaiti oilfields ablaze? This would complete the dictator cycle: Fire & Ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Yeah, that might be their 2nd move, but their 1st move would be to divy up the Arctic. Offshore drilling in sea ice, with the occassional floating iceburg, anyone? If lolks think the regional military conflict in Ukraine is bad, just wait until the first big oil spill in -2C coastal water. Have I mentioned the Arctic Gyre yet? Remember when Saddam set the Kuwaiti oilfields ablaze? This would complete the dictator cycle: Fire & Ice.
There won't be an alliance between the US and Putin's Russia. Period. Webeevdrivers needs to cheer up and take a page out of navguy12's book and watch/rewatch Band of Brothers. America is still a great nation, despite the circus show in DC.

Yeah, that might be their 2nd move, but their 1st move would be to divy up the Arctic. Offshore drilling in sea ice, with the occassional floating iceburg, anyone? If lolks think the regional military conflict in Ukraine is bad, just wait until the first big oil spill in -2C coastal water. Have I mentioned the Arctic Gyre yet? Remember when Saddam set the Kuwaiti oilfields ablaze? This would complete the dictator cycle: Fire & Ice.
I’ve been contemplating the idea of IceStationZebra^99th in recent weeks. My conclusion is that the utter vulnerability of any platform - military or resource-extractive - on the polar ice cap is so fantastically high to even the lowest-cost/highest-effect attack as to make any such a non-starter.
Glub Glub Glub Glub…….

You need to pay more taxes. Until then police won’t come to your house. All murderers and thieves should break in and can have at it in there. Good luck.

Sorry that logical fallacy to encourage an enemy state to invade your allies is just as ludicrous as the peace at any cost even if it means letting Russia have its way.
It’s not a philosophic question in my mind...but nonetheless it is a question for you...an American taxpayer...if you feel that if a rich Western country doesn’t want to contribute to it’s own defense because it sincerely believes that American taxpayers should pay...then fine, go ahead. But I suspect that President Trump was speaking for his base when he asked all of NATO to pay their commitment. As I said, no skin off my nose...

I guess there is a price to their 30k casualties.

We should add "never do business" to the statement "never negotiate with terrorists".

It can be a little confusing to the general public how gas pipelines work in this regard, but it's not quite as black and white as your are portraying. At the point the gas is in Ukraine, it may not be Russian from a title standpoint. Title to gas inside a pipeline can trade hands at various points along the route. Ukraine taking action against gas in their pipelines may be taking action against European assets at that point.

In more simplistic terms, it may be Europeans "pulling" gas through Ukraine rather than Russians "pushing" it. In fact it likely is... it's unusual for a producer to hold long distance transportation contracts (although not unheard of).

There is a lot of speculation about former President Trump being an unreliable ally of Europe which is scaring European leaders...when all he has said is that Europe needs to meet its NATO financial commitments instead of being a burden to US taxpayers...despite dragging their heels the message has (so so) slowly got through. And this in effect is strengthening NATO
I agree that this is the effect he's having. If only I thought this was what he was trying to accomplish.

European leaders are right to be scared, or at least proactively assuming that the US is a non-participant after decades of support. (Europe under spending NATO spending targets certainly feeds the problem).

If he gets elected the world's biggest military by a mind boggling amount will have him as its commander in chief. The world should be afraid of that. His superpower is the ability to make up, down; or anything else he wants it to be. Orwell's 1984 and double think come to life.

Make border reform a priority while simultaneously scotching any efforts at border reform, transforming people that have invested huge amounts of work and political capital into making that border reform happen into strong opponents of the effort. And be glad to do it, at least publicly.

He's got the legal system bending over backward to be fair to him, while simultaneously that same legal system is on a witch hunt for him. Any guesses where me, or approximately anybody else, would be spending their time, waiting for trial for having boxes of highly sensitive classified material sitting around the house, showing them off to people? And actively obstructing efforts to get those documents back? Hint - not talking to the press about how unfair the government is being.

If anybody could transform an isolationist message into an aggressive expansionist message its him. The seeds are already laid for the US to "help" Mexico with its drug cartel problem. To an outside observer that "help" might look like an invasion. These 2 messages already go together in his stump speeches with no cognitive dissonance whatsoever - how hard to keep going and help Central and South America with their problems to protect the US southern border from the illegal immigrants?

Sorry not-sorry, and this isn't aimed at you. I completely agree that his message is indeed strengthening the rest of NATO.

Okay, I'll bite: when did NATO aid a non-European country? Shirley not the FLQ crisis in Quebec? :p
IIRC, a long time ago, when the UN Security Council actually did something, they intervened in Korea--some who supplied troops are current NATO members. Because political conditions have changed, it's possible that NATO could replace the UN Security Council.

It’s not a philosophic question in my mind...but nonetheless it is a question for you...an American taxpayer...if you feel that if a rich Western country doesn’t want to contribute to it’s own defense because it sincerely believes that American taxpayers should pay...then fine, go ahead. But I suspect that President Trump was speaking for his base when he asked all of NATO to pay their commitment. As I said, no skin off my nose...
It truly will be amazing if Putin and his propaganda machine pulls off of the sleight of hand being parroted here, that somehow funding NATO is a waste of US taxpayer money. No American foreign spending is without strings that advance our interests, likely to some inconvenience of many recipients desirous of such aid. We always attach strings - and that's to just the "free" direct foreign aid. NATO funding has strings out the wazoo in that it commits other dudes to fight and die for our interests - a lot of other dudes - but more fundamentally, it is blindingly obviously in our direct interests, unless one believes the post WW2 low-war, largely rules-based, largely America and Europe-led order is somehow against American interests.
This, really, is what Putin and his parrots and bots are trying to do: convince us that the world America excels in and (with NATO allies and diplomacy) keeps largely peaceful with a focus against wars of conquest, and for international diplomacy, commerce, and unprecedented cooperation since WWII ... is awful, and must be burnt down, and replaced with alternative they are demonstrating for us right now, in real time: dictatorship, massive lies, repeated military invasions (Ukraine ain't the first), publicly announced genocides ("Ukraine did not exist, Ukraine does not exist, Ukraine must not exist"), sham elections...
Of course, as part of accepting Putin and friends' new vision, rule of law gets in the way and must be removed ... in favor of the rule of one strong man, presumably one strongman per country (unless you live next to Russia - they will then loan you theirs!)
The question was asked, was The Former Guy speaking to his base, as quoted above, when he once again misrepresented NATO financial commitments? Absolutely - his base responds repeatedly to the "I'm a victim - they are taking advantage of me" trope. A huge theme in his campaign last time, and continues to paint himself as the biggest victim of them all. I find it likely that they cheered and ate it up.
And of course, from the above quote, a "if a rich Western country doesn't want to contribute to its own defense" - a laughable falsehood / strawman.
Perhaps someone here can educate me on which NATO country has a 0% defense budget?

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has announced he will step down at the end of this year, but remain in the Senate. He cited his views on national security are no longer those of the majority of his party. That is not good news with regard to Ukraine. With the US Senate archaic rule (not a law) that 20 Senators can block any legislation, a small minority can block any bill even if it is supported by up to 80 of the 100 Senators.

McConnell to Step Down as Leader at the End of the Year

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has announced he will step down at the end of this year, but remain in the Senate. He cited his views on national security are no longer those of the majority of his party. That is not good news with regard to Ukraine. With the US Senate archaic rule (not a law) that 20 Senators can block any legislation, a small minority can block any bill even if it is supported by up to 80 of the 100 Senators.

McConnell to Step Down as Leader at the End of the Year
Too old to be leader at 83 but okay to be a senator until 87.

Reactions: phantasms
Have I posted this before, on this platform? I believe not.

Leaving aside any discussion of the continuity of claims spanning the gap between Imperial and Soviet Russia - a revolution’s erasure of past shackles also erases asset claims as well (and there weren’t any such vis-a-vis Alaska)….

Russia never colonized Alaska. Not at all.
Their interests were solely commercial: developing the massively lucrative fur trade in sea otter pelts and the concomitant proselytizing by E. Orthdox clergy of the enslaved Natives who were that industry’s workforce; a minuscule amount of exploration for other natural resources: whales, gold and so forth; and a joint Imperial/commercial administrative force to oversee those activities. NO colonial settlements. Unalaska, Three Saints Bay, Sitka - all those were peopled soley by the fur industry’s overseers, a minuscule military presence, clergy, and the government administrators. I haven’t the numbers at hand - will append this when I find them - my recollection is that the number of Russians present at time of sale was around 500.