Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling out rarely helps as democracy bundled with fake and biased/grift news has its flaws. Russia is a prime example, and they operate globally, but are not alone. I won't digress further.

I wonder at what extent people living in Western Democracies are aware just at what kind of degree the Russian Dictator, as well as others of his Dictator ilks, are trying to influence Western Democracies... The comments on Youtube and Twitter/X seem to have quite a lot of trolls/bots that are parroting the Russian Dictator's lies and propaganda. Don't know about Instagram, Facebook, Snap, Tiktok et. al.

Democracy is obviously being undermined. Are enough people helping to inform others around them about what the Russian Dictator's troll/bot-farms are doing?

Entropy dictates any system left unattended will decay to its lowest form. We in the US inherited a functioning representative democracy and, having not "paid" for it, do not seem to value it. Combine this with growing inequality and you have a receipt ripe for outside influence.

Up is defended as down and anyone wishing to accelerate the process to our detriment has ample opportunities to do so.

I want to applaud, of course, but if the Russian people think they're under attack from the outside, that might be counter-productive.
IIUC, the attack was at night so no one was injured. I agree it's a trade-off: alienating part of the Russian population versus degrading their trust and confidence in Putin. He seems weak now so I think this is a good tradeoff for Ukraine.

Anders Puck Nielsen says backing out of the grain deal was a bad move by Russia. Nielsen even suggested that Ukraine may have chosen the timing of the Kerch bridge strike to coincide with the renewal of the grain deal in order to get Putin to pull out of it in a pique of anger.

The idea is the grain deal was good for Russia because it allowed them to get a blockade on the cheap. If Putin is making bad decisions then this is a good time to make him look weak.

I know people have different opinions on this but IMO getting Putin ousted would be the most direct way to end the war in Ukraine. The war is costing so much in blood and treasure that any successor, even a blood thirsty war monger, will take the opportunity to end the war and blame everything on Putin. If they don't end the war then they will own it and the costs will all be on their head.

Nielsen even suggested that Ukraine may have chosen the timing of the Kerch bridge strike to coincide with the renewal of the grain deal in order to get Putin to pull out of it in a pique of anger.
I like his work but I don't buy this particular theory.

Ukraine was always going to damage or destroy the bridge ASAP, the timing is more about the ability to achieve it.

We can say the threat of Russia pulling out of the grain deal wasn't enough to stop Ukraine from damaging the bridge, and IMO it probably wasn't even a consideration..

Hungry people need food, so I am sure they will find another way of transporting the grain.

I'm surprised that nearby countries like Poland feel threatened by imports of Ukrainian grain, their farmers seem to want to ensure that every grain imported is exported.

Sooner or later, I expect total destruction of all parts of the bridge. It is important for military, political and symbolic reasons. It would take a lot of Ukraine to stray from that objective.

There isn't much focus on the weapons the Ukrainians themselves are developing as the old saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention". I bet the marine drone designs are constantly being improved, the bridge and the fleet a big targets the Ukraine would love to hit.

If Ukraine takes back Crimea, and forces the Russian fleet to relocate, there is no threat to grain exports.

Most people think the war will end of Putin is ousted, however the West and Ukraine have little influence on that outcome aside from ensuring a Ukrainian military victory and keeping sanction as tight as possible..

I am also sure that ending the war ASAP and blaming Putin will be the first order of business for any replacement. The chances of an future wat depend on the nature of that replacement, No matter how nice and sensible any Russian replacement appears to be, we need to maintain suitable military deterrents. However, we do need to engage on trade and culture, demonstrating the benefits of being a constructive part of the global community.

Last edited:
I'm not at all surprised by Poland's unwillingness to allow the import of Ukrainian grain. Poland's PiS government relies on the votes of the farmers. Their support would nosedive if they were to suffer severe cuts to their income because of Ukraine. Expect the same to happen if Ukraine were admitted to the EU and the Western EU countries were not willing to expand agricultural subsidies massively.

Ukraine was always going to damage or destroy the bridge ASAP, the timing is more about the ability to achieve it.

We can say the threat of Russia pulling out of the grain deal wasn't enough to stop Ukraine from damaging the bridge, and IMO it probably wasn't even a consideration..

Hungry people need food, so I am sure they will find another way of transporting the grain.

I'm surprised that nearby countries like Poland feel threatened by imports of Ukrainian grain, their farmers seem to want to ensure that every grain imported is exported.

Sooner or later, I expect total destruction of all parts of the bridge. It is important for military, political and symbolic reasons. It would take a lot of Ukraine to stray from that objective.

There isn't much focus on the weapons the Ukrainians themselves are developing as the old saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention". I bet the marine drone designs are constantly being improved, the bridge and the fleet a big targets the Ukraine would love to hit.

If Ukraine takes back Crimea, and forces the Russian fleet to relocate, there is no threat to grain exports.

Most people think the war will end of Putin is ousted, however the West and Ukraine have little influence on that outcome aside from ensuring a Ukrainian military victory and keeping sanction as tight as possible..

I am also sure that ending the war ASAP and blaming Putin will be the first order of business for any replacement. The chances of an future wat depend on the nature of that replacement, No matter how nice and sensible any Russian replacement appears to be, we need to maintain suitable military deterrents. However, we do need to engage on trade and culture, demonstrating the benefits of being a constructive part of the global community.

The "hungry people" simply don't have an alternative way of transporting the grain. There is no alternative route(s) of the required capacity.

The rail and barge routes westwards through Poland, Romania, etc have very significant capacity constraints as they were built to handle the excess production from those grain-growing areas, and there was previously no point in constructing excess transport capacity at great cost that would never be used. This means that to the extent that grain is moved westwards out of Ukraine then it has to price itself below Polish grain in order to get a slot on the westbound rail/barge/port/etc. If it doesn't get that slot it undeprices Polish/etc grain in the local market. And the silos are full. Either way the Polish/etc get undercut and see their prices reduce. Hence their valid economic grumpiness, even before one gets into the politics of it.

Building sufficient westwards transport capacity to substitute for the seaborne capacity is a massively expensive and time-consuming undertaking (years). There are efforts going on but we are talking 10-20% of the required volumes, not the ability to take the vast majority of it.

The fastest solution is for Ukraine to win the war and restore normal service.

Continued surprise that they are bothering to flank Bahkmut. But bother they do and I guess it forces Russia to respond. Can russia continue the offensive toward Kupyansk if they are threatened with encirclement here?

Mick Ryan had a nice piece on Gerasimovs defense strategy ....which was only possible because a competent person actually created the defense posture in the south.

Mother of invention says hi

70 years old raise is just for the most senior officers who may never leave their desks/bunkers, so probably not much change on that age end of the spectrum in real terms.

Seen reported that some soldier ranks apparently go to age 40 now, sailors to 50, and sergeants to 55. Some other more senior officer ranks have risen to age 65, and junior officers ranks up to age 60. General reservists can be brought back into service until the age of 55 (10 years older than previously).

We should expect another wave of Russian men fleeing their country, probably age 28 and over this time.

...] Continued surprise that they are bothering to flank Bahkmut. [...

Bahkmut is basically the only town the Russian Dictator has managed to occupy since UKR stopped the initial RU attack. And Prig/Girkin and the 'mil bloggers' have informed the Russian public about what kind of a mass slaughter of RU serfs that 'operation' was.

Guessing that the 'optics' of a liberated and free B-mut back in UKR hands is a part of this. Hopefully that could accelerate disagreement and division among the 'Russian elites'. Hopefully within the military/FSB/GRU as well. A best case would result in a successful removal of the Russian Dictator by some internal RU actors followed by Putin as 'scapegoat' and an end to the war.