Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is astounding how few people know how powerful extreme religious fervor can be. That is a prime tool for the extreme right in US, Brasil, Israel, Iran, Turkey, Saudi, Yemen and elsewhere, notably Russia. In most cases the drift rightward is gradual and largely undetected. How can anybody be surprised when that has been with us since before The First Crusade in 1096.

Putin & coexplicitly understood they could do better than Stalin if they actively promoted the Russian Orthodox Church, not least be rebuilding cathedrals to help rekindle ethnic pride.
We all should be acutely aware that the USSR had many Ukrainian and Georgian leaders so ethnic Russian nationalism was subordinate to Communist ideology and even Russian nationalism. Putin finally used the tools established by Stalin, but made them pure. This fact alone allows much greater latitude than would a purely secular rule.
Extrapolate from the virgin birth, the talking snake story, and whatever other nutty tales the Russian Orthodox book might foist upon otherwise rational people from an early age, (that requires partitioning off from basic right-vs. wrong reality to accept) and you've got the basis for a worldwide disconnect from reality all packaged up and ready for exploitation by institutions generously bankrolled with tax-exempt dollars, (at least in the US) and driven via the likes of Cambridge Analytica, as directed by the highest bidder, be that Putin or whoever.

Once the basic on/off switch for reality is installed in someone's brain... there's no limit how far into crazy land someone can be driven (Pizzagate, The Steal, Q-Anon...) by astute handlers.

Last edited:
Apologies ...

I read the Yanukovych story in Wikipedia. Is public revolt a 'coup' ? I suppose so, in the narrow definition of removal by extra-legal means. Although even that is a bit of a stretch because Yanukovych removed himself. We will never know for sure whether it was the impending impeachment or threat of public violence against him that convinced him to run away, although his earlier indiscriminate use of violence to suppress the Pro-West demonstrations suggests that Parliament's repudiation of his presidency was the prime mover.

I used to employ a retired F-16 instructor as a sales guy (not just a pilot, but an Air Force instructor). For existing pilots, the F-16 is not that hard to learn (2 months). It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Fat Amy (the F35) and it is not hard to learn for someone that has jet fighter experience.

Getting proper support in place (maintenance crews and their training) takes much longer than that, and would be the hold up. But even then, I think this is politics, and not a "practicality problem".
Yes and no.

I absolutely agree on the flying side. If you've used fast jets in war, the rest is relatively easy in the 16. The maintenance side is a problem.

The Russians build their planes so that they do not require so much per flight maintenance and, instead, get "overhauls" at short intervals via depot service. There are several NATO countries within a short hop that could provide a lot of that 16 support. Not all, but a lot.

Last edited:
Stills from Swedish TV4. Besides the two Public Service TV-channels, this is Sweden's only other TV-channel with a proper news desk.

I didn’t see the segment myself, so this is most likely a translation of a translation…

The Swedish captions (in the tweet below) translated to English.

1. We have very good relations with Sweden.
2. We are in the process of making a very important decision.
3. It’s a difficult undertaking and I don’t want to reveal any details now.
4. We must all prepare diligently.

What could this be?…

Could it be anything else than Swedish Gripen Fighter Jets?…

The Gripen is supposedly the best fit for the Ukrainian fighter jet mission…

And I guess it's possible that other nations fill in for the Swedish Air Force (FV) while the FV rebuilds with new fighter jets, just as it was previously discussed regarding the Slovak Air Force (if I remember correctly)...

Last edited:
I read the Yanukovych story in Wikipedia. Is public revolt a 'coup' ? I suppose so, in the narrow definition of removal by extra-legal means. Although even that is a bit of a stretch because Yanukovych removed himself. We will never know for sure whether it was the impending impeachment or threat of public violence against him that convinced him to run away, although his earlier indiscriminate use of violence to suppress the Pro-West demonstrations suggests that Parliament's repudiation of his presidency was the prime mover.
Yes bringing in Russian special forces to kill protesters seems to have been the tipping point.

Stills from Swedish TV4. Besides the two Public Service TV-channels, this is Sweden's only other TV-channel with a proper news desk.

I didn’t see the segment myself, so this is most likely a translation of a translation…

The Swedish captions (in the tweet below) translated to English.

1. We have very good relations with Sweden.
2. We are in the process of making a very important decision.
3. It’s a difficult undertaking and I don’t want to reveal any details now.
4. We must all prepare diligently.

What could this be?…

Could it be anything else than Swedish Gripen Fighter Jets?…

The Gripen is supposedly the best fit for the Ukrainian fighter jet mission…

And I guess it's possible that other nations fill in for the Swedish Air Force (FV) while the FV rebuilds with new fighter jets, just as it was previously discussed regarding the Slovak Air Force (if I remember correctly)...

Slovakia flys Gripins don't they? Fingers crossed. The Gripin is a great plane. India was foolish not to have chosen it, would have been perfect. Not enough bribes.

But it could equally be a massive amount of Swedish Combat Vehicle 90. They have pledged some but this is simply one of the best IFV out there. Far better than the Stryker or Maruder from what I hear.

Bradleys have more integration into the a unified armored command so things like speciality vehicles for identifying artillery targets, medic units, etc. The FV 90 though is awesome and designed to fight in wet boggy terrain. Good memories of Northern Sweden when I see those.

32 minutes mostly covering things we in the West got wrong about the war in Ukraine followed by four (sometimes heartbreaking) interviews with Ukrainians and experts:
  • FT reporter and longtime Ukraine resident Christopher Miller,
  • 18-year old Ukrainian student and artist Assia Vlasenko who escaped Ukraine after 6 months of occupation,
  • Research Director at the European Expert Association Maria Avdeeva who has been documenting Russian war crimes
  • FT reporter and Putin expert Max Seddon.
The hosts, Tommy Vietor and Ben Rhodes, were both members of the Obama administration. I don't remember this segment being overtly political, but if you want to skip it, the interviews start at 32:08. Here is the entire video:

It is astounding how few people know how powerful extreme religious fervor can be. That is a prime tool for the extreme right in US, Brasil, Israel, Iran, Turkey, Saudi, Yemen and elsewhere, notably Russia. In most cases the drift rightward is gradual and largely undetected. How can anybody be surprised when that has been with us since before The First Crusade in 1096.

Putin & coexplicitly understood they could do better than Stalin if they actively promoted the Russian Orthodox Church, not least be rebuilding cathedrals to help rekindle ethnic pride.
We all should be acutely aware that the USSR had many Ukrainian and Georgian leaders so ethnic Russian nationalism was subordinate to Communist ideology and even Russian nationalism. Putin finally used the tools established by Stalin, but made them pure. This fact alone allows much greater latitude than would a purely secular rule.

In WW II Stalin brought back the Russian Orthodox Church to help the war effort, but all the priests became KGB agents. Post USSR the church is still controlled by the FSB. There have been accusations of Russian Orthodox churches around the world spying for mother Russia.

Not all religions do this, but some religions have historically or are actively trying to control the minds of their congregations for political purposes. The Russian Orthodox Church effort goes right to the top in a way rare in most countries these days.

This is administration, politics, not the military. I guarantee you that the military has pretty much stated the following:
"You want Ukraine to win? Give them what they need, in overwhelming numbers. Stringing along support will only increase casualties on both sides, and runs the risk of preventing Ukraine from wining back their land."

No, this is politics, not the military. I've been around military, retired and active duty, all my life. If you give them clear goals (give Ukraine what it needs to win), they are going to lay out a clear plan for you. It's the politicians that muck it up.

I smell geopolitics as the culprit. We found out last fall that the MiG-29 transfer to Ukraine last spring was axed due to pressure from China. China might be in the middle of this too.

In this article from Re:Russia, Russian economist and banker Vyugin writes about the reasons Russia confounded expectations and did not suffer economic collapse in 2022, and then adds some guesses about the future.

I thought it was pretty good reading, and I think underscores a basic reality: the sooner W. Europe weans itself off Russian fossils and does so with renewable eneryg , the sooner economic pressures will become effective against Russia. The replacement has to be renewable and not just fossil imports because the market is essentially fungible

Europe has some pretty significant challenges converting completely to renewables. I don't think they can do it without also adopting nuclear power. Cambridge Physics professor David MacKay laid out the math making an all renewable future for Europe problematic.

He unfortunately died in 2016 and some advancements have been made since, but the hill is still very steep. Carbon Commentary updated his figures in 2017 based on what was known then. They point out the problem is a little easier, but it was still huge. The cost of installing enough renewables to serve all of the UK at a level of 50KWH per person per day had dropped from 93K Euros to 18K Euros. It may be lower today, but the at 18K Euros that costs 1.1 trillion Euros. And that's just the UK.
Keeping David MacKay's 'Sustainable Energy - without the hot air' up-to-date | Carbon Commentary

To me the greatest impact of the sanctions is increasing costs associated with Russian NG exports and petroleum to the EU. It's forced Europe to acknowledge that they had energy issues and that those issues enabled Putin. It's more the societal awareness of a problem and the immediate realignment of trade that has impacts vs sanctions on Russia. It's the rapid hastening of energy transition in Europe. This will hasten the decline of the petro states globally and that's the impact. Russia has helped bring about a renewable energy future...irony...sad terrible irony

Europe came to dominate the world when wind power moving ships was the key technology. They were able to move the largest ships with wind and had sophisticated sail systems other parts of the world didn't have. That combined with better weaponry allowed Europe to dominate the world.

Then as fossil fuels started to come into use, the first major source was coal and Europe had plenty. With the technological advantages to start with Europe dominated the industrial revolution along with European cultural spin off the United States. Then technologies to use oil instead of coal came into use and the country that had a lot of oil and a large industrial base has dominated the world ever since. The US was able to make the transition to an oil based economy easily.

Europe still had a lot of wealth and the ability to export a lot of technological goods that were difficult to find anywhere else in the world so they traded their goods for oil and kept going. But Europe has been almost completely dependent on the rest of the world for its energy needs since oil became the main source of energy.

Germany was able to succeed in the early phases of WW II because it had a supply of oil from Russia. They thought it would be cheaper to seize the oil instead of buying it so they invaded and it went pear shaped. Rommel in North Africa thought that if he had enough resources, he could push the British out of North Africa and tap Middle Eastern oil for Germany. It was a pipe dream. As brilliant as Rommel was as a battlefield commander, he never really grasped that what he wanted to logistically impossible.

The Afrika Korps was never going to get the resources it needed to conquer Egypt. The Italians were doing all they could to supply his forces, but there were limits to how much could be moved to Libya and how much it took to get those supplies to the front. The further Rommel got, the longer his supply lines got. By El Alamein, the Afrika Korps was burning 90% of it's fuel moving supplies to the front line. That's not sustainable.

Rommel expended massive resources capturing Tobruk hoping to shorten his overland supply lines, but even after capturing Tobruk the port was within air strike distance for the RAF and that shut it down as a viable port. Rommel didn't have the air assets to protect Tobruk and its approaches. He got some supply through Tobruk, but the RAF managed to sink many of the ships.

Anyway, Germany's war effort completely hinged on oil. In some ways WW II was the world's first energy war.

Europe should pursue renewables as much as is feasible, but they are not going to get 100% there with renewables alone.

Europe has some pretty significant challenges converting completely to renewables. I don't think they can do it without also adopting nuclear power. Cambridge Physics professor David MacKay laid out the math making an all renewable future for Europe problematic.

He unfortunately died in 2016 and some advancements have been made since, but the hill is still very steep. Carbon Commentary updated his figures in 2017 based on what was known then. They point out the problem is a little easier, but it was still huge. The cost of installing enough renewables to serve all of the UK at a level of 50KWH per person per day had dropped from 93K Euros to 18K Euros. It may be lower today, but the at 18K Euros that costs 1.1 trillion Euros. And that's just the UK.
Good that Europe is doing so well with Nuclear expansion so that the European industry don't have to worry about competing with other countries' industries with lower energy costs:
1677375077116.jpeg

Things seem to be getting desperate near Bakhmut, the Ukrainians blew up a dam to flood a river and slow down the Russians and may do the same to another.

IMO, Russia has long wanted Bakmut for regional purposes: Ukranian control there was a barrier for Russian control of Donetsk/east Ukraine where Russia hopes to outlast the West in their worst case scenario, leaving festering wounds to capitalize on many years later.

Strategically, Ukraine did the right thing letting Russia kill multiples of their own troops compared to Ukraine who played the less lethal role of defender. Like Mariupol they have held out far longer than expected. This also importantly buys Ukraine more needed time to prepare for their Spring/Summer offensive.

Reactions: cusetownusa
"During the Cold War, the US made an effort to keep Russia and China divided, despite both being murderous communist regimes," Sacks posted on Twitter on Feb. 23. "Now we’re pushing them closer together as a result of Biden’s war on autocracy. This is dangerous and foolish."

This is silly. The alternative is to cede Ukraine to Russia and cede Taiwan to China, weakening NATO while encouraging further imperial conquests by both aggressors. It's even more silly because by almost all accounts a cold war between the US and China was inevitable even without the war in Ukraine.

The best that can be done now is to quickly ramp up vital industries in the US to ease our reliance on China and to have the EU quickly develop alternatives to Russian energy. The "IRA" bill that Biden signed is doing the first and by refusing to cede Ukraine to Russia, Biden is also doing everything he can to help the second.

The world has changed and continues to change. Optimal policies from thirty years ago are often either not possible or not optimal now. Both China and Russia see the US as their main adversary. This was not caused by Biden. Although Sacks is right in the sense that letting the US slip into autocracy might be the only way to avoid having China and Russia view us as their common enemy.

OTOH, I agree with this statement in the article:
This pessimism, even despair, had led the tech mogul [Musk] to propose a controversial peace plan, which incorporated many of Putin's demands. The proposal, one of his first big mistakes on the world stage, brought him severe criticism from all sides.

@unk45 what do you think the endgame will be here inside Russia?
One thing I won’t do is try to guess about any endgame. My closest Russian contact, a formerly very well connected person, says he has no insight other than being sure that major military shuffling will continue. If he has no firm opinion, for the first time since I’ve known him in that last 20 years I’ll not guess.

Last edited: