Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weak link in using drones is it's only a matter of time until somebody figures out how to jam the ground link the drones use.
Some U.S. drones use a satellite link, to the U.S. So not possible to jam the ground link, unless jamming in the U.S. Unless can jam satellite communications.
A manned fighter can operate separate from ground control if the pilot is trained correctly (which is standard in the west).
Check out the loyal wingman project. Autonomous drones are being programmed to operate without ground control.
China has a major weakness though. They are much more tied into the global economy than Russia ever was.
Opinion: Many in China value money more than they value what they can get through military action.
The damage to their economy from the sorts of sanctions Russia is facing would crash China's economy very fast.
Yep.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidYak
For the Russians on the street war with Ukraine is very unpopular, but going to war with the west is much more popular. If the war can be successfully cast as Russia vs the US or NATO instead of Russia vs Ukraine, that is a win on the home front. That's why he's saying this. It's trying to change the narrative.

The initial sanctions may not have included Russian oil to give various other countries a chance to ramp up production and fill the gap left when Russian oil leaves the market. As pointed out, the sale of Russian oil has dropped significantly since the war began. Shell bought some Russian oil and they have been heavily criticized for it.

The oligarchs are mostly craven and cowed, but the FSB and increasingly the military is unhappy with him. Those are two other legs of the stool holding him up.

Another factor she is missing is that the common people have been kept mostly quiet for years with an ever increasing standard of living. They have been enjoying the benefits of western consumer goods and the ability to travel to European destinations for over 20 years. Despite that, the political opposition has been growing. The people born after 1980 are increasingly unhappy with Putin even before this war.

In the past Putin has done a military operation when his support has flagged as a wag the dog thing. He invaded and took a slice of Georgia in 2008 and later in 2014 he took Crimea and part of Donbas. This is his biggest military operation yet. It could show how weak he really is with the public.

A story came out yesterday that workers at a factory somewhere had gone on strike because they didn't get paid. With the ruble in freefall, no access to credit, and a lot of key goods no longer made in Russia and need to be imported as nose bleed prices, hyper inflation is almost certain very soon. We in the west have seen what disruptions of some imported goods do to the economy as we've tried to climb out of the pandemic shut downs. Russia's upcoming shortages are going to be significantly worse.

The under 42s who are already unhappy with Putin are going to see their standard of living drop back to Soviet era and worse. The older than 42s understand it, but it's an alien landscape to those too young to remember the USSR. The protests are going to ramp up. And if the protests get too big for the police to handle, the military is not there to back up the police. They will be able to put some troops on the streets, but not as many because the bulk of the army is in Ukraine.

If the polices and soldiers sent to put down the protests aren't getting paid, they will probably be sympathetic to the protesters and might deliberately let things get out of hand and let the protesters occupy carious critical places.

Even if Putin orders these protesters arrested or even shot, the people tasked with carrying out his orders will be outnumbered and might not be all that inclined to do it. Even if they tried they would not be able to put a dent in the protests. You can't arrest 20 million people.

Not that long ago Alexander Lukashenko in Belarus faced mass protests and his government almost toppled. Authoritarian leaders have been ousted when the public got fed up and rose up against them. The massive Russian army has always been a looming threat for this in Russia, but with the army tied down, the door is open.

Since 1900 Russia has had popular uprisings after ever military defeat. One was put down (1906), but the others were the 1917 Revolution and the 1989 collapse of the USSR. And the operation in Afghanistan was chicken feed compared to this war.

He is an authoritarian, but he's stayed in power over 20 years because he is very good at playing off factions and keeping the masses quiet. But he's losing control.

According to UK sources it's now believed that Putin has colon cancer and it may be quite advanced
Vladimir Putin may have cancer, according to source

He's had it at least two years. Early in the pandemic I recall reading about the elaborate decontamination procedures anybody had to go through to see him face too face. He has been behaving like someone immune compromised for two years. He's also exhibited the signs of someone with severe lower back pain from before the pandemic and chronic lower back pain is one symptom.

Another thing I noticed is nobody has seen him in several days. They released a video of him meeting with people yesterday, but it appears he was added electronically too another video and the metadata on the video was from February 21.

Putin may be dying. Interestingly the person who is officially second in line, their head of the military, was ousted today. Putin dying and leaving a power vacuum could also set off a civil war.

Russian tanks are all rooted in the 1950s designs which were in turn evolved from WW II designs. The Russians introduced the main battle tank concept then and every army in the world has adopted it since. The T number on their tanks is the year they were accepted for production. The T-90 is their front line tank today, though I believe they have a T-14 in the works. They are taking T-62s out of storage to send to Ukraine right now. T-62s that have been sitting outside in Siberia for 30 years.

The American Abrams saw action in the first Gulf War. It originally had Chobham armor which was made from layered fabric and is very resistant to conventional armor piercing rounds, but when it became evident that the Russians used HEAT rounds (high explosive anti-tank) the armor was replaced with depleted uranium armor. The Abrams is literally radioactive.

The uranium armor is highly resistant to all anti-tank weapons, including rocket munitions.

The Abrams wiped out the Republican Guards in Iraq in a very short and fast armor battle. I believe there was not a single US tank lost.

Insurgency warfare has been around a long time. The American colonies employed it in the American Revolution. It's always been the way a weaker opponent who is determined can fight back against a stronger invader. There are various weapons used against insurgents, but the only way insurgencies are eventually put down is putting enough infantry on the streets to stop the insurgents before they get going. Most invaders are unwilling or unable to do this.

Russia's population is only a little over 3X Ukraine's. It would take a serious effort and commitment on the part of Russia to subdue Ukraine and they don't have the manpower in arms right now nor the budget to do it. Even if they don't pay the soldiers, they need to outlay resources to put them in the field and keep them there. And unhappy soldiers are not going to do their job very well.

Other countries outside of the Russian sphere have developed their own tanks and most have designed them more on the line of the Abrams than the Russian tanks. What's obsolete is tank designs rooted in WW II and the early cold war.

It's been clear from the start that US intel has been fed to the Ukrainians. Additionally leaks from the FSB have helped both the US and Ukraine stay ahead of the Russians.

I don't see Ukraine surrendering. Their cites are getting destroyed, but when the public is willing to keep up the fight, destroying the cities only has the effect of making the enemy dig in deeper.

Think of the British resiliency during the Blitz and the Germans were just as resilient when the western Allies bombed their cities to dust. Germany was virtually leveled by the war, but they kept fighting to the bitter end. Ultimately the Germans lost because they ran out of everything: men, weapons, and ground to defend. They fought for every inch of it though, especially against the Russians.

I read today that those three guys were actually police. The Russians figured this was going to be such an easy cake walk that they sent civilian police groups in to police places like Kyiv after they had been taken.

I didn't watch the whole video, but is this guy in Russia? If so he almost certainly does not have access to high quality information about the war. I plan to watch the whole thing a bit later.

I don't know why Zelansky keeps calling for a no fly zone. I'm sure he's been told this would lead to the conflict getting worse and possibly go nuclear and imposing a no fly zone is not going to stop artillery attacks unless the people flying the no fly zone are also going to be attacking Russian positions on the ground, at which point NATO has fully joined the war.
Some people believes Zelansky is baiting Nato to join obviously. Russia's air attacks are so weak that a no fly zone essentially makes zero difference.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Russia's population is only a little over 3X Ukraine's. It would take a serious effort and commitment on the part of Russia to subdue Ukraine and they don't have the manpower in arms right now nor the budget to do it. Even if they don't pay the soldiers, they need to outlay resources to put them in the field and keep them there. And unhappy soldiers are not going to do their job very well.
There is also an accumulation of attrition:-
  • Trucks - with army trucks being destroyed, regular trucks are shipped to war, with a shortage of parts, they are increasingly going to need to rely on building new Russian made trucks. A shortage of trucks impacts on the whole economy.
  • They also need to replenish, planes, missiles, ammunition etc.
  • Young men dying in war will add to a declining birth rate.
  • With workers being drafted into the army, someone needs to replace that worker in their regular job.
In contrast, as long as borders stay open Ukraine is replenished to some extent with imported equipment and weapons..

The ugly part now is deaths of Ukraine civilians, getting young children out of the country, provides a means of replenishing the population.

With the benefit of hindsight I would have advanced plans to shift the civilian population of the south and east earlier.

Most professional ex-soldiers hate unnecessary civilian casualties, at least the good ones do. That is going to be a motivating factor for many foreign fighters.

Looks like Tesla just killed the only Supercharger in Russia? It's 'nice' that plugshare is still supporting these monsters.

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 9.00.36 PM.png

Translation: 'Writes ready to charge and nothing happens'

I don't know why Zelansky keeps calling for a no fly zone. I'm sure he's been told this would lead to the conflict getting worse and possibly go nuclear and imposing a no fly zone is not going to stop artillery attacks unless the people flying the no fly zone are also going to be attacking Russian positions on the ground, at which point NATO has fully joined the war.
It's a negotiating posture. He asked for an undeliverable option in hopes of getting something less than that. I bet that he will. Besides it allows the US and Europe to continue to deny that they are an active participant in the war.

There's 3 minutes 15 seconds (all I could stand) that I will never get back. This guy work for Tucker Carlson?

There still are some Russian trolls out there trying to do Putin's bidding changing hearts and minds in the west.

It's a negotiating posture. He asked for an undeliverable option in hopes of getting something less than that. I bet that he will. Besides it allows the US and Europe to continue to deny that they are an active participant in the war.

True.

I was thinking today that those Russian fighters coming from NATO may have been modified to use NATO weaponry. If so NATO could give Ukraine a bunch of AGM-88 HARM missiles. Those seek out radar and take them out.

I bet the Russians have gotten lazy with their targeting radar and leave it on all the time. If they have, the Ukrainians could blind all radar guided SAMs in one afternoon. Essentially eliminating threats from medium and long range anti-aircraft.

The Ukrainians did counter battery fire on the Russians today and took out a large number of artillery pieces.

I just stared at the closed caption words for the entire video and it was moving.

Quote: This, out of #Ukraine, is 100% one of the most incredible videos I have ever seen.
This Russian POW has the heart of a lion 🦁 EndQuote

Some of the comments suggest that this is fake news, that he is really a Ukrainian soldier. I tend to believe that. Why would a Russian soldier go to these lengths? Wouldn't there be a heavy price for him to pay if/when he goes home?

Some of the comments suggest that this is fake news, that he is really a Ukrainian soldier. I tend to believe that. Why would a Russian soldier go to these lengths? Wouldn't there be a heavy price for him to pay if/when he goes home?

He wasn't a soldier. He was police sent in to keep order in Kyiv after Ukraine collapsed on the first day. He was part of a police unit sent in with the first wave. They had no idea what was going on until they were in Ukraine.

Video has also surfaced of Ukrainians looking through abandoned Russian vehicles full of police riot gear and other police equipment.

He may also be one of the many Russians who have Ukrainian relatives and he is speaking out because his family is in danger because of Putin. He may not be planning to go back to Russia after the war.

Belarus could topple Lukashenko in the next week or two. The war is so unpopular there they couldn't even raise a battalion of Belarusian troops to join Russia's. The country had massive protests a year ago. That sentiment is probably still there.
2020–2021 Belarusian protests - Wikipedia

If Belarus kicks out Lukashenko, the new government's first order of business will probably be to side with Ukraine and tell the Russians to get out of their country, then they might get violent if the Russians refuse to leave. If that happens, the Russian troops to the west of Kyiv will be completely cut off including the convoy to nowhere. The Russians will not have the troops to hold the bases they have in Belarus.

Their second order of business will probably be to request to join the EU and start flirting with NATO.

Russia could end up with Putin's worst nightmare: every country on their western border belonging to NATO.

A few ships carrying Russian oil have been refused service by dock workers, in UK and I think elsewhere. Buy Russian oil and never unload it - Hotel California?
The dockworkers union in UK won’t issue an official “no offload” order this is just the worker’s who are refusing. The union doesn’t have the funds to fight a courtcase if they made it official.
Apparently now ships are transferring oil cargo to other flagged ships in an attempt to get it sold. Pretty sure some will slip through but not a lot.

I have also seen rumours that Russian soldiers are just saying what they've been told to say, that they don't know anything etc, and are just acting like it.. well from looking at the videos of these crying soldiers calling their mothers, they sure are world class actors! With those acting skills they should be welcomed by Hollywood with open arms!

The Scorpion in the Falklands for example. Story of a commander who jumped off the tank and ended up deep in the bog that the Scorpion/Scimitar was happily sitting on. Lower ground pressure than a person.
Awesome vehicles, all versions of it apart from being petrol engined. Only a light reconnaissance vehicle though not heavily armoured enough to stop much above a light machine gun round, possibly a 50cal from distance. Having said that 60mph, amazing manoeuvrability and as said v v light on the ground. That from personal experience, you learned to lower yourself rather than jump off when the ground was suspect🤣

...] I don't know why Zelansky keeps calling for a no fly zone. I'm sure he's been told this would lead to the conflict getting worse and possibly go nuclear and imposing a no fly zone is not going to stop artillery attacks unless the people flying the no fly zone are also going to be attacking Russian positions on the ground, at which point NATO has fully joined the war.
I understand why he's calling for a no fly zone. IF Putin won't use nuclear weapons a no fly zone would create conditions were the Ukrainians could start taking out the artillery positions. I would also end the Russian air bombardment. There are currently hellish conditions in Mariupol and some other Ukrainian cities. Large number of people are dying. A no fly zone would end this a lot faster. It would probably force Putin to withdraw his forces. All of this is as already mentioned dependent on Putin not using nukes of course. And Zelenskyy apparently doesn't believe that Putin would use nukes.

Reactions: BornToFly
I understand why he's calling for a no fly zone. IF Putin won't use nuclear weapons a no fly zone would create conditions were the Ukrainians could start taking out the artillery positions. I would also end the Russian air bombardment. There are currently hellish conditions in Mariupol and some other Ukrainian cities. Large number of people are dying. A no fly zone would end this a lot faster. It would probably force Putin to withdraw his forces. All of this is as already mentioned dependent on Putin not using nukes of course. And Zelenskyy apparently doesn't believe that Putin would use nukes.

We just need to be patient.

Apparently Russian air defences are being degraded, very expensive equipment lost.
Russia will need to organise replacements, or we might see the Ukrainian drones start doing a lot of damage.

The war is popular with a lot of the public in Russia, they have been sold the dream that it will make them great again. Their opinion will flip when they realise how badly it is going.

Putin resorting to nukes is the big risk, but most of the the others have an easy out. Let Putin take the blame. We don't know how strong his grip on power is.
Those goons beating up protesters are a private army loyal to Putin, if a regular army unit took them on they would be no hope.

Reactions: navguy12
The dockworkers union in UK won’t issue an official “no offload” order this is just the worker’s who are refusing. The union doesn’t have the funds to fight a courtcase if they made it official.
Apparently now ships are transferring oil cargo to other flagged ships in an attempt to get it sold. Pretty sure some will slip through but not a lot.
Enough of a speedbump to make even the greediest pause. At the least adds extra expense and risk. They could end up as pariah companies with pariah ships unable to offload - too much of a risk. Oil embargo may still happen.

Awesome vehicles, all versions of it apart from being petrol engined. Only a light reconnaissance vehicle though not heavily armoured enough to stop much above a light machine gun round, possibly a 50cal from distance. Having said that 60mph, amazing manoeuvrability and as said v v light on the ground. That from personal experience, you learned to lower yourself rather than jump off when the ground was suspect🤣
Are you mates with Mike Jackson and do you apologise every time you sing "You're Beautiful". Thanks for stopping World War 3 a few years ago.

Edit: on a serious note, the Russians ran out of supplies even then.
"After two days the Russians asked if they could share food and water with us – which they didn't have – and we said of course we can, if you share the airport."