Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolling backwards on an incline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? I've never used a clutch in a forward gear to back into a spot either. I've had the transmission in a forward gear and used the clutch (disengaged of course) and the brake to either move forward, or roll back as needed when parking on a hill. No shifting required. How else are you going to do it? Under your scenario, if the Tesla ALWAYS did hill hold, I'd have to shift into reverse to go backwards or back into a spot that I could just roll into. Do you not have parallel parking in SF?

BTW, you're not the only one who has driven a lot of miles in a manual trans, as-if that makes you smarter then everyone else. I know plenty of people who have driven millions of miles, and they're still pretty bad drivers.

I guess I'm not allowed to qualify my opinion with experience without being accused of saying I'm smarter than everyone else, right? :)

Under my scenario, the MS would act more like other automatic transmissions cars. How would I do it? I'd do it like I've done on every other automatic car. When backing downhill into a parking spot, I'd put the car into neutral and use the brake to control my backwards decent. Some people might use reverse but then they'd have the additional force of reverse creep to overcome and I've never liked that.

The MS is easier to put into neutral than almost any car and is about as easy as putting a Prius into Neutral. BTW, this is exactly what I do when parallel parking a prius with the rear pointing downward on a hill.

I'll go one step further in my opinion. I think that when you come to a stop, it shouldn't matter if you're flat, pointing down on a hill or up on a hill. I think that once you've stopped, the MS should hold it's place until you press the accelerator pedal and that while you're still at low speed if you lift off the accelerator pedal the MS should completely stop in place regardless of whether you're in drive or reverse or what incline or decline hill. This way low speed maneuvers including parking could act more like being on level ground and you wouldn't have to go back and fourth between the accelerator and the brake.

The torque converter on an ICE automatic is never locked below 30 or 40 MPH so since there's no physical connection between the engine and the transmission except via fluid, nothing will happen.

The MS should always prevent rollback when you're in drive. If you're not in reverse, it should always apply enough juice to at least prevent backwards travel at any grade PERIOD. I can't fathom why it doesn't do this as they've already demonstrated they can do it for a finite amount of time. Why not always??????

Where is this demonstrated? If you're talking about hill hold, that used the brake, not the motor.