Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster owner generosity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Thread titled somewhat generally because I suspect there are others with similar experiences to share.

Thank you, bradleybang, for offering a drive in your Roadster @ the Fremont factory private road. A very different, and memorable experience, from my S Sig P85. I have a newfound appreciation for how difficult it is for Roadster owners to consider ever letting go of these prized vehicles.

Thread titled somewhat generally because I suspect there are others with similar experiences to share.

Thank you, bradleybang, for offering a drive in your Roadster @ the Fremont factory private road. A very different, and memorable experience, from my S Sig P85. I have a newfound appreciation for how difficult it is for Roadster owners to consider ever letting go of these prized vehicles.
Because? :)

It is something you kinda have to experience to really understand, but here are a few reasons that resonate with me:

- The Tesla grin.
TeslaGrin.mov - YouTube
The Tesla Grin is Born! - YouTube
It is addictive and mind-blowing. It is a big part of why the sell through percentage on test drives was so high. Watching in these videos and in real life how people can't help but smile, and how unexpected it is, provides a taste of the driving experience. And they aren't even driving it!

- Electric mobility.
This isn't unique to the Roadster, given that the Model S has it, but I don't buy gas. I have solar panels that generate more electricity than my home use AND my two Roadsters use, each of which is a daily driver (yellow for me and orange for my wife).

- It all started here.
These cars will always be where it all started. The more Tesla does in the future, the more people will appreciate the Roadster. I get more fans now than I did before the Model S. Almost every boy in my daughter's school runs to the fence when I drive by. Adults are trained not to react strongly in public to their emotions, but kids don't have that limiter. About 15% of the time I park on public I come back to fans taking pictures of the car. This was last night when I stopped to get dinner.
IMAG0324_1.jpg

- The coolest car ever (if you're into sports cars).
The car looks like a sports car. It is small, nimble, low to the ground, and looks like it drives. While the Model S is a wolf in sheep's clothing, the Roadster looks the part. But it does so with electric mobility and acceleration that humbles supercars that get 12 mpg and shake the neighborhood when they drive by. While the Model S offers supreme functionality, the Roadster is the best of Ferrari and a LEAF, with better range and battery technology. It is my dream car beyond what I dreamed possible, and I derive great joy every day when I drive it. It is weird when there is no car in the world you'd rather have, at any price. For me, that is the Roadster.

- Great for commuting.
It fits in small parking spots. Not terrible w blind spots. You can change lanes better than with any other car because it is small and can accelerate phenomenally. You skip the lines to get on the freeway. You get the carpool lane. You never have to stop to get gas. When you drive by people are constantly giving you the thumbs up. The one downside on commuting is Tesla time. But if you don't have time to talk to fans, just politely say so.

Last edited:
Thanks, ipdamages, for your reply. My reply was a little rhetorical. Giving Brian a little coaxing.

I have driven a Roadster once, and been a passenger several times. I understand your points, but I found the car (having driven the S for 6 months) ... cramped (with two people?) ... very hard to get in and out of. And my friends who own them only gripe about visibility; the ability for other cars to see them. Otherwise LOVE them.

Tesla tried to sell me one 5 years ago but with 2 kids in town and one car, I couldn't justify it. A test drive was hard to come by. Had I driven it, I may have succumbed to Teslaitis 5 years sooner than I did.

I may still end up owning one one day. Thanks for sharing!

I understand your points, but I found the car (having driven the S for 6 months) ... cramped (with two people?) ... very hard to get in and out of. And my friends who own them only gripe about visibility; the ability for other cars to see them. Otherwise LOVE them.

On my smartphone I hadn't seen your smiley face, so I took you literally.

Ingress and egress are definitely what would be expected of a sports car rather than a luxury sedan. I'm a pretty serious runner (5'9", 135 lbs) so ingress and egress aren't really a problem for me. Also, you get to know how to get in and out once you own the car, so you figure it out. But if the average American were to drive the car ingress and egress would be much harder.

Not being seen? Yes, indeed. You need to be a good defensive driver as you sit low to the ground in the Roadster. In my case I'm usually passing cars, so I'm watching carefully ahead to see where I can go, and I sort of expect people to pull out in front of me. With my car being bright yellow, it is pretty visible, but with all the SUVs out there you have to be on the lookout.

Cramped? I like the low-to-the-ground driving experience, and I'm a small guy so I'm fine with it. But it's a sports car to be sure. More of a cockpit feeling. It doesn't seat 7 people and it isn't good for taking a nap in the car, but that isn't its purpose for me. It heightens the joy of being alive. Take the top off, enjoy the wind (and its noise), and experience pure exhilaration. Happily, that is just about every day for me.

I think that Tesla has made the greatest sports car imaginable (if you don't crave a big growling ICE), as well as the greatest luxury sedan. I personally am not a luxury sedan guy, but I'm very happy that Tesla made the Model S because the true sports car market is pretty small and by selling the Model S the world is changing and Tesla can then build cars that break the mold in more market segments.

Last edited:
I have driven a Roadster once, and been a passenger several times. I understand your points, but I found the car (having driven the S for 6 months) ... cramped (with two people?) ... very hard to get in and out of. And my friends who own them only gripe about visibility; the ability for other cars to see them. Otherwise LOVE them.
As someone in another thread mentioned at one point, the Model S is like a lifelong companion (wife/husband) that satisfies the rational, practical needs of long-term daily and road-trip transportation. The roadster is like a fling in Hawaii.

Model S is a sedan. High-tech (several years of advancement vs. Roadster). Roomy (storage and passengers). Comfortable (climate control). Etc. It's a compelling offering and I'm glad I have mine.

Roadster is simply a different animal. It has its own driving feel (the actual vehicle) and aura (rarity and role in Tesla history). The latter I think I've understood well for a while. The former I had an intellectual understanding of, but no physical experience to go with it -- until I drove (bradleybang) and (briefly) rode (1194).

Your welcome. Given the event, it was the least I could do. I let others drive as well... Including Craig (Leilani's husband) on Sunday morning. He now knows the roadster grin.

I had someone at TESLIVE very politely ask me for a ride after the group drive. I declined because we were in pack-up mode and I still needed get the car plugged in for the range back to LA. Maybe next year we have a Roadster ride signup for all the poor MS owners who have not experienced the fun. :)

+1 to ipdamages!! Nice explanation of the Roadster emotions.

If I have a day where my patients blame me for everything from birth defects to old age dementia, my computer system looses a record or my staff revolts I just need to get into old 992 and drive the 10 mile windy backroad home and I walk into the house with my own Tesla grin! It hasn't failed for the last two years and I believe each ride in 992 is the best therapy possible.

Dont get me wrong, I love the P85 I drove for three days as a loaner at my last service ......... but .......... grins are grins!

I know it may sound pathetic to MS owners but a major motivating factor in my running, taiji, hours at the gym is to allow me to keep getting in and out of 992! At 66 years old motivation comes in funny colors ........ Electric Blue is mine!!

It is something you kinda have to experience to really understand, but here are a few reasons that resonate with me:
Way to sum it up and this coming from an owner of both!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a pretty serious runner (5'9", 135 lbs) so ingress and egress aren't really a problem for me. Also, you get to know how to get in and out once you own the car, so you figure it out.
I got 60 lbs. on you in about the same frame and the only place I run to is the fridge! I have no problem with the ingress & egress because I'm used to it; like so much else in life... adapt or die! :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

If I have a day where my patients blame me for everything from birth defects to old age dementia, my computer system looses a record or my staff revolts I just need to get into old 992 and drive the 10 mile windy backroad home and I walk into the house with my own Tesla grin! It hasn't failed for the last two years and I believe each ride in 992 is the best therapy possible.
Ditto for me only I'm not driving 992 and for me its been 4 years! I call it my therapy "serenity now"!

Last edited by a moderator: