Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bravo tesla...now if they could certify some aftermarket nav head units (which will not void the warranty) so that we can replace the horrible Alpine unit, I would be in heaven! (also please create a permanent J1772 solution)

+1 on that. I also hope that they make the upgrade able to support DC fast charging.

Can't do that; the battery pack and supporting systems just aren't built to take it.

I'm already trying to figure out how to afford all the currently available upgrades I want.

- I really want replacement rotors that don't suffer from rust and the resulting rust stick. I'd also want replacement rotors that were made of a black or gunmetal colored material to go with the wheels, but I know that's highly unlikely.

- I want CF replacements for the tail light surrounds. It's the one place where the plastic sticks out annoyingly.

- Yup, I want a socket replacement. I have no idea what I'd do with the way-too-much I have invested in Tesla machined plugs (burnish them up as bookends or paperweights?) at ~$650/pop (est), but screw it.

- I really want yellow blinkers in back.

I had a good talk with the new VP of Worldwide Service, Joost de Vries. Joost has has over 20 years of experience in automotive service & joined Tesla about 3 months ago. He will be based in Fremont, at the factory, and is busy staffing up to provide 'the same level of customer service to new Tesla customers that Roadster owners have come to expect'. Good guy, I liked him.

A few things that should be of interest to current Roadster owners:

• The Model S iPhone app for monitoring car information will be available to Roadster owners sometime this summer. I saw it running on Joost's phone, they're testing now. If you will have more than one Tesla vehicle in your garage, you should be able to monitor all with one app.
  • Brakes. There will be a brake system upgrade available.
  • Stockpiling of parts. Joost has been buying up many of the salvage Roadsters & also has new parts 'enough for 15 years or so'.
  • Extended Warranty to be offered to current owners who didn't purchase.
  • Certified Used Roadster program -this will allow new buyers of Roadsters to also get a warranty for their used Roadster.
  • There should be some news on battery replacement options soon.

He told me several times that he is committed to making sure Roadster owners continue to have exciting choices going forward. I, for one, was really glad to hear we weren't becoming 'old news'.

This is all exciting to hear!
I concur on the battery costs and specs it's my biggest fear for the car right now. (other concern is overheating motor when agressive driving or summer heat)
Hope they can give details on the connector as well, we do want to get an S so interoperability would be nice.
Brake upgrades, excellent hopefully aluminum rotors to reduce weight and improved calipers.
I would be very likely to take the extended warranty if us sig 100 owners are eligible for another year.

"Overheat" suggests "damage". "Too hot" -> "reduce power output" -> "safe operation".

When my Fiat Spyder would overheat (big surprise) the car would come to a stop on the side of the road in a plume of steam and oily smoke. Totally inoperable. Often needing labor to replace new parts like head gasket and block plugs, then new oil, and coolant.

An EV is smart enough to say," I'm slowing you down to reasonable driving speeds until I'm cooled off."

Can't do that; the battery pack and supporting systems just aren't built to take it.

I don't see why not, the control systems are in place. After that it is just a simple matter of an upgrade to the PEM. (I smell a package deal coming.)

I'd hope a modern ICE would do that too.

Some do. Take for instance the ECM (engine control module), or rather PCM (powertrain control module), of some vehicles can shut down a number of cylinders to allow for air-cooling of the engine in the event of a coolant loss. (also known as "Limp home" mode)

I don't see why not, the control systems are in place. After that it is just a simple matter of an upgrade to the PEM. (I smell a package deal coming.)

The battery pack is also involved with distribution of that power, and it's quite possible that there's something in there that needs an upgrade. Anything between the socket and the individual cell could be an issue (assuming the cells could take their share).

I hope that an upgrade would be possible, I just wouldn't count on it.

Even more than all of the above though is I want the new Model S 2.0 socket in my Roadster. Not something that I can trust many to do and would love to take it into a store and have the sexy plug installed and show off at EVents to everyone.

I would like to see the roadster converted, then make available the male portion of the connector available for purchase so we can replace the old Tesla connector on our Clipper Creek TS-70's. Then all the Tesla's are on the same page.

When my Fiat Spyder would overheat (big surprise) the car would come to a stop on the side of the road in a plume of steam and oily smoke. Totally inoperable. Often needing labor to replace new parts like head gasket and block plugs, then new oil, and coolant. "

I guess I was somewhat lucky - when my '69 Fiat 850 Spider got hot it would simply vapor lock - leaving you standed along side the road! Of course in the 34k miles that I owned it the overheating didn't cause the clutch mount to deteriorate putting pressure on the clutch disc and wearing it out, or the alternator going bad, or the using winter spark plugs in the spring which burnt the valves, or ..." God I loved that piece of ...

I just dropped in on the Roadster Upgrades section of the online shop. There are a LOT of interior and exterior CF options for sale now. You can buy the individually or in a kit. Installed or just parts.

cf.jpg

A lot of them are showing "Sold Out" though, which probably means they're "not in stock yet". But the pricing is available and it looks pretty decent.

I guess I was somewhat lucky - when my '69 Fiat 850 Spider got hot it would simply vapor lock - leaving you standed along side the road! Of course in the 34k miles that I owned it the overheating didn't cause the clutch mount to deteriorate putting pressure on the clutch disc and wearing it out, or the alternator going bad, or the using winter spark plugs in the spring which burnt the valves, or ..." God I loved that piece of ...

Mine was my first so the love will always be there. Sigh. I had the sloping glass headlight covers and later a 124 motor conversion from PBS engineering.

The Roaster brought back a lot of the feelings that convertible had. Some CF bits would have been cool back then.

I just dropped in on the Roadster Upgrades section of the online shop. There are a LOT of interior and exterior CF options for sale now. You can buy the individually or in a kit. Installed or just parts.

A lot of them are showing "Sold Out" though, which probably means they're "not in stock yet". But the pricing is available and it looks pretty decent.

And it's definitely safer to buy the CF parts from Tesla than from some of the other sources people have had problems with.