Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised to hear that. Other than people on this forum I've never met anybody who's had work on their battery pack. Sure would be nice to have some real data before we're asked to plunk down a chunk of change for an extended warranty.
One of the problems is that only a small proportion of Roadster drivers are on this (or any) forum so I don't think you should take the feedback here as representative of the cars on the road. Remember that for many European owners english is not the first language and historically TMC didn't meet their needs.

I fully agree that it would be good to see real data before shelling out for an extended warranty. I don't have one but given what's gone wrong with my car I would buy one today if offered.

The more I think about it, the more expensive I think this warranty is. If you consider that these cars have significantly depreciated from their new price, this warranty price represents a large chunk of their current value.
As someone mentioned earlier: if Tesla is trying to make the case that EV ownership is less than ICE ownership, this is sort of falling flat on its face.
To make 20,000 new car buyers per year feel comfortable with buying a new car with new technology from a new company, I think Tesla should show more faith in their current cars.
If this warranty is too expensive, many owners won't buy it and if they start having major issues that will cost a large % of the car to repair, you will start seeing more and more broken-down Roadsters for sale on ebay! I really don't think that Tesla wants to see that either!

Last edited:
That indicates to either give the warranty a miss or abandon your TMC account. Now we can put a price tag on being a forum member!
I don't understand this post. :confused:

When considering the warranty, it's worth keeping in mind that it only covers issues that happen between year 3 and year 6. Anything before year 3 is covered by the original warranty, and anything after year 6 is not covered. And as a rule, extended warranties are not renewable.

The first (and only) problem I had with my computer happened a couple of months after the date that the extended warranty would have expired, if I had bought it. The store wanted to replace the entire logic board, at a cost nearly equal to a new computer. I solved the problem with about a $30 gadget.

5k a year is too rich for my blood, I would consider 3k for the bumper to bumper. Other than the PEM and battery there is nothing I'm concerned about the car, all suspension type stuff is inexpensive and can even be performed by someone other than Tesla.. The motor is very reliable and is not likely to be an issue in year 3-6... Also a battery warranty will on fix the battery, what about higher denser cells to add more range? thats a larger question.. I would pay for a battery upgrade at some point if it gets me 200 real miles to a charge (I currently get about 140 real miles a charge)

I read these messages and it's as if this extended warranty is a reality! If it is why doesn't TM in DC know anything about it????

Because on a forum it's all to easy to make 2 + 2 = 7.....

P.S. Enough of us have heard from various places that Tesla is working on an extended warranty; but its neither 100% definite nor do any of us have any idea what it might look like.

I was told by TM in Dania Beach that it is currently going through legal "the slowest department at Tesla!" and that the cost is not final. Note there is nothing about copay or what is actually covered.

Well the numbers quoted below are just not reasonable. $5,000 a year? $11,500 for three years? Not too long and you could buy an other used Roadster for driving or parts. It does not show that Tesla has faith in their batteries and PEM and are putting the onus on owners. I almost want to ask who has not had a battery problem.

I have some good news for you! Our Global Service Manager announced yesterday that we will be offering extended warranties for purchase on all Roadsters provided they are current with their maintenance regime (which I believe yours is). Here is the breakdown of offerings/costs:

BatteryVehicle (exl. battery)
1 yr / 12k miles$3,000$2,000
2 yr / 24k miles$5,500$3,300
3 yr / 36k miles$7,500$4,000

So, where did that chart come from? I spoke to an employee that was adamant about Tesla not offering an extended battery warranty on any roadsters, and the extended vehicle warranty would only apply if you bought your roadster new. Used cars would not be eligible.

I spoke to an employee that was adamant about Tesla not offering an extended battery warranty on any roadsters, and the extended vehicle warranty would only apply if you bought your roadster new. Used cars would not be eligible.

Bonnie spoke to Joost (VP of Service) who claimed that there would be an extended warranty (nothing to do with this chart just information with regards to an extended warranty being offered in the future)...It seems that he would be more "in the know" than the employee you spoke with (unless you also spoke with Joost)?

Bonnie spoke to Joost (VP of Service) who claimed that there would be an extended warranty (nothing to do with this chart just information with regards to an extended warranty being offered in the future)...It seems that he would be more "in the know" than the employee you spoke with (unless you also spoke with Joost)?
No, I didn't speak with Joost.Yes, he would definately be a more reliable source of info.

My car officially goes out of warranty tomorrow and is in for its 3 year service today. I'm having them go over everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure anything that is on the verge of breaking (bad PEM, bad battery sheet, etc) gets replaced today while it is still under warranty. I too am waiting for an official response on the extended warranty for our cars. Since I was the first delivered 2.0, all other 2.0s from today forward are going out of warranty. Tesla better have an answer sooner than later.

Tesla would be better off swallowing some costs with Roadster owners (within reason) in terms of warranty at this point. Losing some money on Roadster owners won't make or break the company but really bad press might harm the company. Look at the ginned up story that DeGusta did and that was his fault.