Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Announcement Next Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't you sorta new to Tesla? At least the Roadster right? You only got yours in the past 6 months right?

Some of the folks here been waiting for 7 years.

Now, tesla does kinda suck at communication and deadlines but look at your alternatives, the only communication I ever receive from any car manufacturer is recall notices.

Just relax, he said this week, at least wait until end of the week to bitch him out. You wouldn't whine to Tim Cook about iphone 7 right?

Patience my young padawan.

Some of us are tired with the lack of transparency and the games.

Just say what you need to say and get it out into the open.

If this is the future of TESLA I may need to re-think my future car choices.

I want clear direction and promises kept on schedule without hokus pokus.

I want clear statements without unnecessary fanfare.

I grew out of this kind of crap in adolescence. Is Elon MUsk trying to become the next GM (and I don't mean that in a positive way)?

Best,

T

Communication from other car companies... "We are working on something new and exciting which should be incorporated into a new model in 2020"... The pace that Tesla is moving at is astonishing compared to their peers. I'll be patient and waiting, still better than waiting on MB or BMW.

I think the complaining is because of Elon being Elon -- he likes to throw teasers out there to keep the community buzzing. It's meant to be playful banter -- to get people talking and speculating. The teasers leading up to the dual drive announcement were more of the same, and Elon himself later tweeted that he was getting a kick out of some of the speculation going on. Yeah, just Elon being Elon.

The problem is that some people don't like to be teased. My daughter is like that. Apparently TOBASH is, too. All I gotta say is lighten up and don't sweat the small stuff. Tesla's a great brand doing great things for the automotive industry. The face of Tesla is not a hard core, impersonal, over serious and all too dry and boring person. If it were, I don't think Tesla would be where it is today. Elon Musk is a marketing genius who knows how to play the public and peak their interest with one thing or another. It's just who he is. Most of us like that about him. Some people are bound to hate it about him.

What I write below is not meant to be perceived as an attack. I am voicing myself.

I'm not meaning to pick a fight or fights here, but I prefer transparency and predictability. Without that you get fiascos like Steve Jobs Eliza (for those of you who go back in computers a ways.)

If a corporate leader makes a promise he or she needs to keep it AND work with management prior to making the promise so everyone is on the same page. Multiple errors and or multiple missed deadlines lead to unsatisfied customers. That then makes the stock market and industry edgy. Then they look towards change of leadership.

MassModel3... "Elon being Elon" as you call it, is a sign that he is not following a proper formula, hence he is perceived as being different by you and others. I interpret his actions as arrogance and lack of discipline and lack of respect for the customer base. So do others on this BB, but when we voice such concerns we get shouted down, as if that changes our perceptions or reality.

Jackyche... I don't know you, so no, I have been around more than 6 months. Too often on this BB, Mods and more senior BB members attribute statements about Elon to be due to a new presence on TeslaMotorsClub. I'm not sure what one has to do with another. We all are able to afford a higher end luxury vehicle, so we all must have earned our stripes somewhere, meaning none of us is either wet behind the ears or born yesterday. In our own ways we all know business and the rules of the dollar. As for me, not only was I able to get into my professional school out of High School, I also worked hard and earned moneys on my own in order to get there. I chose to be an auto guy. I have restored every aspect of high end cars, acted as a purchasing agent on classic cars, and been a mechanic and classic car mechanic for more years than I care to count...all while putting myself through school and residency training.

I remember Tesla as a start-up, I remember the initial promises and missed deadlines. I do know Tesla, from its first designs, through it's initial transmission disasters with the 2 speed, to the current models. I have always followed with interest, even test driving a few times in the middle. When I could financially justify purchase of a new Roadster, the Roadsters were out of production by several weeks. I searched until I found what I wanted without having to settle. That process took time, but that does not mean I have not been around. Now I can afford several, and I would expect professional behavior from any company asking for my future hard earned dollars.

A fun car is a fun car, (and there is no denying that the Roadster is a fun car), but business is still business. If any of you in your professional careers pulled Elon Musk's kind of behavior, then you most likely would be sending out new CV's almost immediately.

Elon Musk's vision and successes in the stock market have allowed him to start a company, but now he needs to march to a different drum beat. Rarely anyone on Wall Street likes a maverick. Steady, even keeled, predictable, respectable, clear speaking management is the key.

Don't mistake my comments for a hatred of the car I drive, or for hatred of the designer or the company owner. I enjoy driving the Roadster, but that doesn't mean I feel compelled to say all is perfect. Yes, Elon created a product I bought, but that doesn't mean he is perfect either.

So, feel free to go ahead and try to invalidate my statements. That does not make them any less real. Good business is good business, and deadlines are deadlines, and promises are promises.

I think I will go out for a drive in the Roadster, top off. Its 55 degrees in NYC today.

Happy Holidays to you all, and may you all enjoy a wonderful New Year.

T

According to this article the battery swap program will be applied also to the Roadster? :confused:

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Roadster Update Will Be Unveiled This Week

Written by someone who has no knowledge of Tesla Motors' plans, no technical knowledge, and no knowledge of the battery case and where it sits in the Roadster.

Raffy, after all the shoddy articles that you've seen on climate change, you have to understand there are an equal number of shoddy and incorrect articles on Tesla. This is one of them.

^isnt raffy the one that bought that $30 "fuel booster" or whatever, and then persuaded himself that it works? ;)

@tobash: i feel for you, mate. personally, i think elon is trying to be the next steve jobs: revolutionary, but in a flashy, punkish way. jobs was also notorious for the 'reality distortion' on his folllowers, re-setting expectations (copy paste function or notification in iphone, for ex.).

tesla is still years ahead of any other current car, but the man himself has flaws.

If you don't want to follow the link:

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 3.47.45 PM.png

So Bonnie, are you offering rides?
:)

I have to admit it was a bit of a challenge to fit all my stuff AND my sister's stuff in the Roadster for a roadtrip ... but we did it. Strict packing guidelines! And this new battery will definitely make it easier. The question is WHEN I'll opt in - I'm very interested to hear what the details will be for those who purchased the battery replacement option originally.

^isnt raffy the one that bought that $30 "fuel booster" or whatever, and then persuaded himself that it works? ;)

I didn't persuade myself that it works. I only wanted to test it. My commute is 250 km so I would like to save lpg. Hope that in 2015 I will manage to buy a Roadster and reduce my commute. That's why I am interested in the announcement about the battery pack upgrade.

I hope all of this cheered up TOBASH. Yes friend, Elon's not marching to Wall Street's drum... but undisciplined? Well, I'll grant you he often can't help but spill the beans on interesting developments, but, come on, he's the hardest working billionaire in the galaxy!