Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost a week into another PR gaff and still no communication from Tesla to the masses concerning the now limited lifespan of the 1.5s. Maybe there is a plan in the works, and if so, some communication would be nice (even just saying "we're working on something, will get back to you later, don't panic"), but that is not the Tesla way. Very disappointing.

Brings the cynic out in me, and I have the feeling that at least this is saving me from the next uproar. "You took my deposit 6 months ago, and I was #4 on the list, but you still haven't contacted me to schedule it. What do you mean the certification testing that was going to happen last July isn't actually completed yet? And you still can't say when you're going to start fulfilling orders?" Good luck to the folks who have moved on to the next level of waiting.

There, that felt good. :smile:

Hate to say I saw this coming. Though since they allowed 1.5's to send in deposits I am in the queue too. Glad I could join, get a comfy seat, we may be here awhile.:biggrin:

1) Very happy for 1.5 owners who now get to play too, if they wish.

2) I'll always be bummed that packs in great condition pay the same price on the battery trade-in as the most worn packs in the field, or theoretically, bricks. But oh well.

3) A few days later on the battery order than others here, so I'm sure I'm going to get mine a lot later than some of you fine folks here who were quicker to hit the button than I did a few days later. i'm sure I'll get everything (that comes out) but the tires (if they come out, until I need them).

4) Once in a while, I scour the internet to see if I can find even a HINT of what, if it ever exists, what the "aerodynamic retrofit" looks / will look like. I have never found a single picture, nor even I single rendering I don't think. Personally, I hope it does look cool and different, to differentiate the 3.0s from non 3.0s ... because the whole 3.0 package when all totalled won't exactly be cheap, and model S upgrade history suggests that after spending many dozens of thousands of dollars on 3.0 upgrades, that Tesla will not be shelling out the 50 cents or so required for a "3.0" badge for those of us who would like that to affix to our 3.0s, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now it really is one year to the day since this blog article and still no reports of customer cars.

Roadster 3.0 | Tesla Motors

LOL -- that would work for me, fine, though I'm sure I'm about the only one for whom it would work. they'll put out one battery a year :wink: then by the time they get to me, my current pack won't be almost as good as new, for which I get zero extra $ credit as opposed to a far more used one ... or theoretically, a brick. Yet, I will have ordered a dozen years before it's ready ... so I hopefully won't be left out of the upgrade (only reason I ordered now). COOL!!! :wink:

4) Once in a while, I scour the internet to see if I can find even a HINT of what, if it ever exists, what the "aerodynamic retrofit" looks / will look like. I have never found a single picture, nor even I single rendering I don't think.

I thought Tesla already canceled the aero kit, along with the wheel bearings.

Edit: Ignore, I'm apparently imagining things.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Tesla has not announced through any official channel that the 3.0 upgrade wheel bearings, brake drag reduction mod, aero mods, or low rolling resistance tire offering has been cancelled. There have been rumors, but none of the have been verified so I am treating them as just that; rumors. I think the rumors are driven by the fact that we have no official news on the status of those items.
All Tesla has announced is that they are taking deposits on the 3.0 battery, as shown in the online Tesla store.
So far one TMC member has posted that they were informed by a Tesla Los Angeles Service Center employee that a 3.0 battery had been installed in one customer's car that had a bricked original battery. I have not seen any other posts that anyone has even been given a timeframe for installing a 3.0 battery that they had put down a deposit on.
So yes, this waiting is really starting to drag on...

So far one TMC member has posted that they were informed by a Tesla Los Angeles Service Center employee that a 3.0 battery had been installed in one customer's car that had a bricked original battery. I have not seen any other posts that anyone has even been given a timeframe for installing a 3.0 battery that they had put down a deposit on.
So yes, this waiting is really starting to drag on...

So simple answer is to intentionally brick your current battery and see if that jumps you up the queue! :p ;)

So simple answer is to intentionally brick your current battery and see if that jumps you up the queue! :p ;)

I was the one told by Torrance SC that one of the Roadsters in for service got the 3.0 upgrade... They did not mention anything about the previous battery being bricked, so I wouldn't recommend bricking your battery to jump the line.

We stopped off for TPMS issues with my wife's Roadster.

I didn't hear any word that they canceled them, but then again I never called a service center to verify. Just what I've been observing on Tesla's site and the Web.

Is there any good source on this?

I really hope they didn't axe it with so many Roadster owners appearing to want the upgrade, I was down for the bearings. Its not the 1st time Tesla has silently killed an awesome Roadster upgrade, i.e.: The original Big Brake upgrade, not this one that was to be included in this upgrade.... With this happening there's only a few Tesla engineers and/or their close friends able to take advantage of the limited run on their own Roadsters. Its odd since getting all that stuff designed and engineered to work is typically the hardest part.

If Tesla is not offering these upgrades I do hope they publicly adjust their range test number they calculated last year when they drove from SF down to LA, otherwise to me it appeared to all be a publicity stunt. Especially when their blog stated that this would not be the end of the upgrades as if Tesla would provide more neat things for the Roadster owners in the future. Again, when someone or some company lacks communicating back to their loyal customers, the customers will assume the worse. Its just like a husband/wife always going out, saying hey hun, I'm working late. But then there's no proof of any real work getting done, and a year has passed. The spouse then starts talking to their friends saying, I think they're working late, but they have not communicating with me. The friends then start saying, well darling, I hate to say it, but I think he may be cheating on you. And then the spouse, who might have still have been honestly working has a tarnished image from both the spouse and their friends. Why? Lack of communication. For any relationship no-matter between a couple, family or a business/customer, communication is key or without it the relationship is bound to fail. Same with driving, if the car can't communicate to you clearly on how its handling on the road, the driver can only assume what's happening and use their best judgement to make a proper decision that may or may not help them avoid an accident. Communication is key for anything.

Now that the Model-X has been released I don't see why they can't do this, Roadster owners are patient and understanding.

Last edited:
I didn't hear any word that they canceled them, but then again I never called a service center to verify. Just what I've been observing on Tesla's site and the Web.

I really hope they didn't axe it with so many Roadster owners appearing to want the upgrade, I was down for the bearings. Its not the 1st time Tesla has silently killed an awesome Roadster upgrade, i.e.: The original Big Brake upgrade, not this one that was to be included in this upgrade.... With this happening there's only a few Tesla engineers and/or their close friends able to take advantage of the limited run on their own Roadsters. Its odd since getting all that stuff designed and engineered to work is typically the hardest part.

If Tesla is not offering these upgrades I do hope they publicly adjust their range test number they calculated last year when they drove from SF down to LA, otherwise to me it appeared to all be a publicity stunt. Especially when their blog stated that this would not be the end of the upgrades as if Tesla would provide more neat things for the Roadster owners in the future. Again, when someone or some company lacks communicating back to their loyal customers, the customers will assume the worse. Its just like a husband/wife always going out, saying hey hun, I'm working late. But then there's no proof of any real work getting done, and a year has passed. The spouse then starts talking to their friends saying, I think they're working late, but he's not communicating. The friends then start saying, well darling, I hate to say it, but I think he may be cheating on you. And then the spouse, who might have still have been honestly working has a tarnished image from both the spouse and their friends. Why? Lack of communication.

Now that the Model-X has been released I don't see why they can't do this, Roadster owners are patient and understanding.

Agreed with much of what you said. It would be slightly out of character for Tesla to get all the publicity they achieved with all components of the 3.0 upgrade and then just never get around to it this ... well ... this century ... sometime. The way I understand Tesla works is "maximum publicity for something cool ASAP. Then, get to it. sometime."

Glad to hear some Roadsters are allegedly getting their batteries, as I patiently wait for mine, but with the quality of my current pack, hey, no rush for me personally.

I guess not. I thought I read it in this thread but can't find it, so I guess I just came up with it myself :redface: Sorry for starting an unsubstantiated rumor.

I think many are expecting an "aero kit" to be a new front-end, but I believe that in order to get the cD number change they need, there have to be rear-end changes as well. The way the rear window is inset to the carbon fiber roll-bar, for instance (and worse with the hard top) has to be creating drag-inducing eddies.

Look at any low-cD car. Here's a list, with pictures. They're just about all hatchbacks, and none have a flat vertical rear window like Roadster does.

Roadster's rear trunk lid is a huge piece of carbon fiber. Re-doing that while working the rear window thing is an expensive way to get a a little bit of aerodynamics.

Of course, Roadster could benefit from a shuttered front grill and a better rear diffuser. But I'm guessing those aren't big enough changes.

I think many are expecting an "aero kit" to be a new front-end, but I believe that in order to get the cD number change they need, there have to be rear-end changes as well. The way the rear window is inset to the carbon fiber roll-bar, for instance (and worse with the hard top) has to be creating drag-inducing eddies..

I agree the easiest way to improve cD would be to put a hatch back on, it's a design throw back from the Elise. The purpose of the vertical window, buttresses and flat deck are to create a low pressure zone above the ICE to aid in cooling in that application (especially handy with the old Rover K series engine they first came with.)

Dodge Circuit (and Lotus Europa S) certainly went down the hatchback root. Why Elon chose the buttressed style of the Elise at the time, over the Europa, one can only speculate. Maybe it involved less expensive bespoke glass, maybe it was to differentiate from the Circuit.

0901_01_z+2010_dodge_circuit_eV+rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

Quite how you'd retrofit this to a Roadster is anyone's guess, but it would probably be eye-wateringly expensive as you'd need a new rear clam design to do it properly. I guess you could have a simple perspex cover that went in between the buttresses, but it could end up looking tacky.

I believe one of the UK guys did some extensive aero testing. One of which was to put a simple sheet of plastic over this area, and it did show promise. (Though there were a load of other mods, so not sure which made the single biggest difference.)