Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Any insights on the longevity of the new 3.0 pack? Someone?
Tesla seems to deliver still 3.0 packs of the last generation (after 2020). I wonder if they approach me someday after I have ordered one 5.5 years ago if I should go for it or wait for an after market solution not being original Tesla.
@Marius, if you are concerned about the longevity of the 3.0 pack, I wouldn't consider installing an aftermarket pack for at least the next two years.

The one I am developing, which Carl mentioned, has only logged about 500 km and is just a few months old, which are both not significant. That's also why I am not planning to sell it until at least next summer, except maybe some prototype for a rebuild project.

In general, there are two types of longevity: calendar and mileage. Accelerated testing of mileage longevity is possible by driving the pack extensively, but there's no way to "quickly" test calendar longevity. The first Roadster batteries were probably among the best EV batteries for quite some time.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
We just got confirmation from the Tempe, AZ SC that the 3.0 pack in our Roadster has hit the dreaded power degradation issue. We took it in after it shut off under acceleration throwing codes #924 and #259, and now it will only drive in limp mode with the current limited to 150A. The pack was installed just over 6 years ago, and the CAC was 183.48Ah the last time it was charged.

At this point we haven't decided what to do next. Tesla's quote for the newer 3.0 pack is $42,000.

Bummer!
I got my 3.0 pack in 2016 and have had decrease in milage over past few years but it had stabilized at 170-172 standard charge if i leave it on trickle charge between driving. I can't get the CAC because my OVMS just went unresponsive.
If you listen to Gruber Motors podcasts you fine many problems with these "upgrades"
Sounds like these 3.0 upgrades are the eventual death of Roadsters while the legacy packs just keep rolling along.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
We just got confirmation from the Tempe, AZ SC that the 3.0 pack in our Roadster has hit the dreaded power degradation issue. We took it in after it shut off under acceleration throwing codes #924 and #259, and now it will only drive in limp mode with the current limited to 150A. The pack was installed just over 6 years ago, and the CAC was 183.48Ah the last time it was charged.

At this point we haven't decided what to do next. Tesla's quote for the newer 3.0 pack is $42,000.
Contact Carl Medford in WA

I'm looking at purchasing a 3.0 Roadster,
I've noticed the car won't pull more than 160kw, I believe all R80 3.0's are supposed to draw 215kw.
Is this reduction in power normal with 3.0 roadsters, I'm under the assumption this is a sign of a failing pack?

I'm looking at purchasing a 3.0 Roadster,
I've noticed the car won't pull more than 160kw, I believe all R80 3.0's are supposed to draw 215kw.
Is this reduction in power normal with 3.0 roadsters, I'm under the assumption this is a sign of a failing pack?
I assume you’re looking at the carsandbids.com listing. It’s a gen 2 r80 pack. So, it should not have any problems since it’s still under warranty. I’m not sure what mode it was driven and video in; but, there are 3 drive mode settings in a sport roadster with varying KW output. That car has at least 200k in it base on MSRP and a new r80 ESS.