Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do they get that TESLA painted on the side? I've seen that on a few of the Roadsters online. At a custom paint shop? I think it looks pretty cool. In the Arctic White I'm getting, maybe putting that in black or grey would look nice. I also noticed they had the Tesla logo painted on each side in front of the doors in black.

I believe that is vinyl, not paint. I was thinking the same thing as you, but I have jet black... I was thinking about either white lettering or reflective(grey) on jet black.

The main reason I was thinking of doing that is because I would die if people came up to me and asked, "How do you like your Lotus?"

I believe that is vinyl, not paint. I was thinking the same thing as you, but I have jet black... I was thinking about either white lettering or reflective(grey) on jet black.
The main reason I was thinking of doing that is because I would die if people came up to me and asked, "How do you like your Lotus?"
Funny. Anyone know where they got this done? The lettering is identical in the pictures I've seen so I wonder if Tesla ordered it and put it on demo/show cars.

Tesla had them done as vinyl stickers for certain cars to show. I first saw them on their blue car at the LA Rally this year. I'm sure you can order them from Tesla.

If you can't, I think I know where to get them

This question is related to Roadster 2.5, but not to anything previously on this thread.

I see that there is a tool kit under the floor of the "trunk" space. Has that always been there or was that new for 2.0 or 2.5? In anticipation of getting my Roadster, I have been changing my habits to include smaller packages (so they'd fit in the trunk). To my surprise, I didn't plan small enough. I can't get a rigid overhead bag into the trunk. It's about a 1/2 inch too wide. When I looked under the floor of the trunk I found that toolkit. That's what is robbing me of the 1/2 inch I need. I may have to find a smaller case or perhaps try a duffel.

Is this kit under the trunk new for 2.5?

Is this kit under the trunk new for 2.5?

The tool kit, and the flat tire repair can (As Seen on TV), are not new to the 2.5 Roadster. In previous cars, the can was attached to the underside of the trunk lid and the toolkit was velcroed to the floor of the trunk. (Note: the velcro setup isn't secure enough to keep the tools from getting loose in the trunk when driving on an autocross style track.)

Recently, perhaps late in the 2.0 production run, they changed the trunk design to allow those two items to fit under the floor. At some point in the progression, they also changed the trunk from the original carbon fiber to plastic.

Ok, so based on what you are saying: all the roadsters had these tools, but it wasn't until model 2.0 & 2.5 that they were placed under the floor of the trunk. In that case, it is possible that it is not my imagination that the trunk is less deep than I remember.

In any case, the tools in their special hidden compartment is a more professional set up, but it takes volume from the biggest part of the trunk. If I were to redesign the trunk (for my purposes), I would have put these tools & can in the upper right or upper left of the trunk.

I haven't measured, but I don't think the trunk is any smaller. In the 2008 and early 2010 Roadsters, if you lift the floor cover, there are gaps between the ribs, but they aren't big enough to hold the tools or the fix-a-flat can. It looked to me like they just changed the spacing of the ribs to make enough room to stow those items.

At some point (+500 I think) the trunk got bigger. 2008's has a carbon fiber trunk (!) but in 2010 they went to a flocked plastic to save money. The trunk grew in depth and front to back. I would wild guess it's a 8 to 12 inches square of volume increase.

What owners wants to fill their trunk with sand or water to empirically check the numbers? :)