Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside Assist when >80km from Tesla S.C.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla provide Roadside Assist when outside the 80km radius of a Tesla Service Centre, or should one consider taking up Roadside Assist with a motoring club such as RACV, NRMA, RACQ etc (only for when travelling >80km from a TSC)?

I have NRMA membership for my car. You get a discount with ChargeFox and some other things that makes up for some of the cost. They have very wide coverage and are pushing the change to EVs along, so seem worth supporting for several reasons.
I have RACV Roadside Assist for our other car (a Mazda 3) but not for the M3.
The M3 is insured with the RACV, but I don't think that gives me Roadside Assist for the M3.

Thanks for mentioning the Chargefox motoring club discount. I was aware of that and have had that discussion with other folks charging at Chargefox locations who were not aware they should add their motoring club membership number to the Chargefox app.

Reactions: Hairyman
See https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

There are big limitations for Tesla road side assistance. e.g. towing only available for warrantable issue and not for flat battery (either low voltage or high voltage battery). So don't rely on it if car is out of warranty, I guess.

Wonder if "car undrivable due to bad software update" would be considered a warrantable issue.

I think when I looked up RACV, they didn't have such strict limitations, and would tow your car because the battery was flat, for example.

Does Tesla provide Roadside Assist when outside the 80km radius of a Tesla Service Centre, or should one consider taking up Roadside Assist with a motoring club such as RACV, NRMA, RACQ etc (only for when travelling >80km from a TSC)?
Tesla Roadside assist covers you for 800km from a SC for a warrantable issue or 80km if its a flat tyre. They will still help you if further than 80km but you have to pay for the extra distance. The policy is available online. For other non-warrantable issues you have virtually no roadside assistance from tesla.

I don't care what Tesla roadside does or doesn't cover. (Though I'm way out of warranty, so they don't cover anything anymore). I maintain full NRMA road service membership.

Always have, always will.

And no, my name isn't Wallace Fairweather!

Seriously though, they're putting a lot of members funds into charging infrastructure, free (thus far) power, and advocacy services. Least we can do is chip them $200/yr!

It's also my understanding in Australia that the 80km is actually more than just to the nearest SC. Particularly on the Hume/Pacific Tesla has a network of tow-truck drivers who have loan Tesla tyres that can be provided to those with a puncture.

NRMA membership also has tiers of coverage.

Reactions: Epping2023
I have NRMA membership for my car. You get a discount with ChargeFox and some other things that makes up for some of the cost.

I think that discount only applies at NRMA branded Chargefox sites. When I used Chargefox at Coolangatta - no NRMA discount.

But yeah, having NRMA roadside membership is a bit like insurance. I’ve probably only used them twice in the past decade (and never with either of my EVs!) but it’s there for peace of mind.

• Informative
I think that discount only applies at NRMA branded Chargefox sites. When I used Chargefox at Coolangatta - no NRMA discount.
It applied at all the first-party Chargefox sites, which was basically all the sites with ultrafast chargers.

It still seems to apply at all those, though they have now been transferred to the ownership of various motoring clubs and EHT in Tasmania (so not just the NRMA branded ones, but also eg the RACV branded ones in Victoria).

• Informative
I have read somewhere that RAC etc are investing in mobile chargers to get you going again. My understanding is that they would be enough to give you 20 km or so of charge to get you to the nearest charging point, similar in principle to the small jerry can of fuel they can supply for ICE vehicles.

Reactions: cafz and Hairyman
But yeah, having NRMA roadside membership is a bit like insurance. I’ve probably only used them twice in the past decade (and never with either of my EVs!) but it’s there for peace of mind.
Used them twice in 59 years and many vehicles covered. As you said, insurance and particularly useful for members of the family who might otherwise struggle. Have appreciated the occasional discount at Chargefox Goulburn.

Picked up my MYLR on Saturday and last week when getting Insurance sorted, I chose to go with NRMA and tried adding the Roadside Assistance as well. (Discounted during Insurance signup)

Got to the final screen when I went to pay and then it errored and said Roadside Assistance not available for my vehicle and was removed from my quote.

Anyone had similar issue?

Picked up my MYLR on Saturday and last week when getting Insurance sorted, I chose to go with NRMA and tried adding the Roadside Assistance as well. (Discounted during Insurance signup)

Got to the final screen when I went to pay and then it errored and said Roadside Assistance not available for my vehicle and was removed from my quote.

"Our roadside assistance includes cover for electric and hybrid vehicles without paying extra. You'll be reassured to know that our trained technicians are on hand to help you at the roadside if you break down."

"Our roadside assistance includes cover for electric and hybrid vehicles without paying extra. You'll be reassured to know that our trained technicians are on hand to help you at the roadside if you break down."

No. I and I think several others have NRMA membership for our cars. NRMA is encouraging EV take up, so sounds like a glitch on their end.
Thanks guys, will call them up and get it added manually.