Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road and Track test drives the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny that they said they only used one charge in the test, but the price as tested lists a $3000 "high power connector".
"Price as tested" is for consumers to have a better idea of the actual purchase price of vehicle. A car might have a certain base price, but the tested car might have had a bunch of options on it. The consumer wants to know what it really cost to get the car that was reviewed.

JLGO
Orlando, FL
December 17, 2008

This Tesla electric car maker wants to help the enviroment by making an electric car that costs over $100,000. How many people in this country could afford that? Who or what are you helping? I hope that Tesla chokes on the money that the EPA will give them.

Do we think that JLGO, the first comment there, is another bot?

One thing to note is that most of the "KBeuchert" type postings have originated from central Florida...

"Test Notes: Acceleration
Enable Max. Perf. Mode, disable traction control and wait for the “P” in the
VDS to turn green. Leftfoot brake and smoothly add accelerator pedal to
charge the motor. Release the brake once accelerator is floored."

Eh? This sounds like "launch control/assist" in a gas car where you rev the engine so that once you get going, the engine is already in its optimum rev band.

Last edited:
"Test Notes: Acceleration
Enable Max. Perf. Mode, disable traction control and wait for the “P” in the
VDS to turn green. Leftfoot brake and smoothly add accelerator pedal to
charge the motor. Release the brake once accelerator is floored."

Eh? This sounds like "launch control/assist" in a gas car where you rev the engine so that once you get going, the engine is already in its optimum rev band.

To get a good launch, you need to apply high torque to the driveline *before* you start moving. This is really a chassis/vehicle dynamics requirement, regardless of engine type (ICE or Electric).

To get full torque from the Roadster, you likely have to floor the accelerator. Unlike an ICE the Roadster *can* do this at zero motor speed.

Last edited:
To get full torque from the Roadster, you likely have to floor the accelerator. Unlike an ICE the Roadster *can* do this at zero motor speed.
As long as your foot is on the brake there is no current going through the motor, but when you remove it full power is immediately demanded and delivered.

Last edited:
Not sure in an EV why that technique would produce better results than simply stomping on the go pedal. Perhaps that is just a way to avoid that fraction of a second it takes for your foot to take the pedal from standby to all the way down. This way once the brakes let go you have full torque instead of having to build up in that brief instant as your right foot moves the accelerator pedal down.

When they do these timed runs I wonder what the start mark is? Is it the moment the vehicle starts moving? A drop of a flag?

When they do these timed runs I wonder what the start mark is? Is it the moment the vehicle starts moving? A drop of a flag?

My neighbor is a mechanic and in to cars. He's got a nice Mustang (newer one with retro look) that he takes to the track. I'm pretty sure it was him (or a show on Speed) that told me it's all electronically controlled. It's something like when the car passes a certain point, it breaks a beam and the timing starts. So that is how it works at the modern race tracks.

Edit: Thinking about it, I could have read that on the Tesla Blog where they talked about the 1/4 mile time.

-Shark2k

Many cars have all sorts of secret computer backdoors like that.
On my Highlander hybrid if you play tricks with the ignition key and the odometer trip computer button you can reset the oil change needed nag.

Also if you push the corners of the DVD nav screen in the correct order various diagnostics screens come up that let you see inner workings of the car computers.

Pitty the uniformed motorist who stumbles onto one of these by mistake.

R&T describes their "technique" as some quasi-launch-control feature, but is electricity actually being delivered to the motor while the brakes are
applied?

--- "Leftfoot brake and smoothly add accelerator pedal to charge the motor. Release the brake once accelerator is floored"---

I'd think TEG is right; this is just some feature to cut down on that fraction of a second spent pushing the pedal to the floor, right?

Many cars have all sorts of secret computer backdoors like that.
On my Highlander hybrid if you play tricks with the ignition key and the odometer trip computer button you can reset the oil change needed nag.

Also if you push the corners of the DVD nav screen in the correct order various diagnostics screens come up that let you see inner workings of the car computers.

Pitty the uniformed motorist who stumbles onto one of these by mistake.

Wow, didn't know. As I mentioned into an earlier post, I'm not really that into cars. I enjoy them, but I basically know squat (aside from the basics)

-Shark2k