Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripple Energy: "shared solar" -- views?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently saw a news item about Ripple Energy, which offers buy-in (“investment opportunity”) to shared solar electricity generation. I’ve been trying to think it through and would be grateful for ideas/thoughts.

The main benefit would seem to be reduced electricity costs.

There are also claims about using “green” energy. I’m more doubtful about that angle. I’m currently on Octopus, already 100% “green”, and in any event the whole sector is moving towards renewables.

So, on reduced costs. I can see the basis for this: in the electricity sector more broadly, prices are set by an opaque formula rooted in bizarre rules that protect the revenues coming from generation via gas. If we paid prices more tightly tied to the cost of solar/wind generation, we’d be paying a lot less. So, if Ripple helps (somehow) bypass those regulations and offers a genuine wind/solar-based price, then great.

The problem, I figure, is that expectations about savings depend really heavily on predictions about where the broader market will go. Ripple’s website says that if I invest £4514 (via 9 monthly instalments), I will save £10,106 over the course of 40 years (and enjoy a 17-year payback period). That prediction relies on a BEIS document, “Updated energy and emissions projections 2021 to 2040”. So, there’s some basis for it. But I struggle with the idea of relying on a government projection 40 years into the future.

A “pessimistic” scenario (i.e., pessimistic with regard to whether Ripple is a good investment) contemplates the possibility that the “market” cost of electricity is likely to decline, especially now that there is more public knowledge about the way it’s currently a completely bizarre non-market mechanism that determines prices.

Still, the idea of shared solar makes a lot of sense to me: it seems much more efficient, you can “take it with you” when you move (something I’m likely to do in the next ~10 years), and it reduces individual risk associated with individual ownership.

Anyway, I’m curious to hear others’ views.

Splitting the investment as a co-op is the Ripple Business model - they cream off a bit setting up the projects etc. For the customers part of the motivation is directly backing a green energy producer, not just as a financial investment with the pay-off as credits to your electricity bill.

Compared to their first two projects (both wind turbines), project three (solar) has a much longer lifetime - to the point where I may not live long enough to outlast it, but my stake would transferable on death.

On the face of it I think that rather than putting PV panels on each house, with an inverter, scaffolding, and fiddling-about to hook it up, a "big solar farm" should have better economies of scale and thus it should be cheaper to "buy some panels" at a solar farm, than putting them on the roof.

And you can "take them with you when you move", as the O/P said.

Same thing for North Sea wind. Got to be more economic than the panels on my roof, let alone a 3 blade domestic turbine bolted to my gable end ...

... I like the energy independence of my Solar Panels and House Battery. I work from home, power cuts (rural location, iffy infrastructure trips out more often than is acceptable, DNO upgrade-coming-soon promises are worse than Elon's ...) are a nuisance.

But when the car doesn't need charging, and the sun is shining ... I'm making best part of naff-all on my exports.

It feels to me like they put an enormous amount of money and effort into promotion of the scheme, which makes me feel like those investing are paying a significant portion of their investment in promotion, shareholder management and soforth.

The difficulty with the scheme are
  • You've still got to pay for distribution costs, which makes the savings much lower than rooftop solar, especially with battery storage and high self consumption (A little offset by the economies of scale of doing a whole solar farm)
  • The payback is long, much longer than rooftop solar.
  • Restrictions on selling shares. Restrictions and extra admin / paperwork when moving electric companies
  • I've not found a decent explanation of the tax implications
I might have been more tempted if I couldn't put solar on my house, or didn't expect to stay here long term

I'm an investor. Both in Derril Water and in Kirk Hill. We already have solar on the roof. Due to the shapes and orientations we can't put more on there and still draw 7500kWh from the grid a year (and 33000 kWh in gas which will have to be dealt with too). So it's a way of bringing down the electricity costs whilst putting my money where my mouth is when it comes to climate change.

I hope to live the 40 years the solar farm will be active for. If not the shares pass down to my children.

It's certainly not about making money: as noted above the payback is worse than just sticking the cash in the bank. It's about driving forwards a cleaner energy system.

it's a way of bringing down the electricity costs whilst putting my money where my mouth is when it comes to climate change.
I'd actually be super interested in a pension fund which would allow for renewable investment, that would deal with pretty much all of the concerns I have. But I'd want one which is actually putting turbines in, not just keeping the share prices up

Reactions: ringi
I can’t remember the exact figures but their solar return was something like 3% on thei central government payment projection and 5% on their most optimistic projection, so not exactly a great return. Also as I’m 55 I may not get my money back in my lifetime given how long the payback period is. Not surprisingly I decided not to invest.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
On the face of it I think that rather than putting PV panels on each house, with an inverter, scaffolding, and fiddling-about to hook it up, a "big solar farm" should have better economies of scale and thus it should be cheaper to "buy some panels" at a solar farm, than putting them on the roof.

At present most cost of building and running the grid is charged per kWh of the power you import. These costs don't reduce if you install your own rooftop PV, but someone else have to pay them.

I'd actually be super interested in a pension fund which would allow for renewable investment, that would deal with pretty much all of the concerns I have. But I'd want one which is actually putting turbines in, not just keeping the share prices up
Like a minefield. This ESG stuff is just spin for me. Let’s say you choose the ‘ethical’ option from a pension company. Probably then invested in part in a tracker fund against something like FTSE4Good UK. So you invest in Shell and Rio Tinto. No quite what was in mind!

I looked at mine and other than the likes of the above funds they invested in Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust. That part at least was a welcome surprise.

Like a minefield. This ESG stuff is just spin for me. Let’s say you choose the ‘ethical’ option from a pension company. Probably then invested in part in a tracker fund against something like FTSE4Good UK. So you invest in Shell and Rio Tinto. No quite what was in mind!

I looked at mine and other than the likes of the above funds they invested in Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust. That part at least was a welcome surprise.
Also, any thing ethical that is ‘All World’ or ‘Global’ is very North America biased, stuffed full of tech companies, Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft etc

I’ve invested into Derril Water, at about 50% of our current electricity usage.

I agree the projected returns are not very attractive compared to other investment opportunities, but I think part-funding a new solar park is worthwhile. Calculating returns over such a long period is obviously very difficult. Who knows what energy prices will be in a couple of years, never mind 10 or 20. I think the Review of Energy Market Arrangements and/or other policy changes are a risk.

I saw the stories this week about green projects being delayed due to grid connection issues, but I understand Derril Water has an agreed grid connection.

I also read the share offer document and watched the Ripple webinars and YouTube videos. Sarah Merrick and the team seem like good people, doing this for the right reasons - around sustainability and community ownership.

Lastly, I expect the return from Derril Water to outperform owning a Tesla 😉. Although maybe my RHD Model S is now going to start appreciating…

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
If you want to invest in renewables, for return on investment, or for climate change reasons - then there are vehicles available which give a much higher ROI, more flexibility to sell, etc.

Ripple seems an incredibly expensive way of doing it. Not for me.

Reactions: dbartram
I was really hoping to be able to go large with Ripple's solar farm. Unfortunately I just don't think it makes financial sense (though I think it does make environmental sense). I think the video that Gary produced really helps understand how little of the cost of electricity you will end up saving (especially when compared to solar panels on your roof which allows you to save all of that electricity). And to be fair, they mention several times that this is not really about making financial savings - it is more about the environment and smoothing out electrical wholesale price swings.
I am also not sure about their claim that their economies of scale are so much cheaper than getting panels on your own roof.
One thing that may impact on others, and was another reason I shied away from buying shares was that the savings on your energy bill are treated in the same way as Interest Income... So if you have / plan to have any substantial interest income over the 40 year lifespan then this eats further into your financial returns as you will need to declare these savings on your Self Assessment.
So whilst I applaud what they are trying to do, I am afraid that for me it is just not suitable.
Good luck to anyone that does decide to go ahead with the shares!

If you want to invest in renewables, for return on investment, or for climate change reasons - then there are vehicles available which give a much higher ROI, more flexibility to sell, etc.

Ripple seems an incredibly expensive way of doing it. Not for me.

I’m aware of companies like Greencoat and the Octopus Renewable Infrastructure Trust.

Are there others you can mention?
Thanks

Reactions: Mrklaw
Ripple wind looks good and I believe that to date returns have been higher than forecast.

The main thing that stopped me from throwing any money into the pot was the apparent lock-in for 25 years on which energy providers you can use. I'm a massive Octopus fanboy but even I balked at the idea of being stuck with the Ripple's choice of supplier agreements and potentially allowable tariffs for that long a period.

When I think back to the number of energy providers I've shopped around with and how much the market has changed over just the last ten years, I couldn't square the risk of that much supplier/tariff lock-in.

This was when I looked at it around 12 months ago. Maybe it's changed now.

Reactions: NewbieT and ringi