Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous things you've done to save money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done the whole head shaving thing for a while. I've also been going bald for a while, so I don't see why I wouldn't just buzz it at home. I used to drive slower when I didn't own hybrids since the reduction in marginal cost from going faster was more than my post tax wages, and I liked driving a lot more than working. With a couple hybrids now it doesn't matter as much.

I try to do all my own repairs/maintenance. I haven't been to a mechanic or had a repair person come over and fix something outside of warranty in a decade or so. At this point I think it's hardest for me to find time outside of work to tackle a whole slew of DIY projects that are only economically feasible to do myself, and improve my skillset as it relates to work (mostly computer programming, systems analysis, and some light (for me) math).

I almost always postpone purchases until I think a product has at least reached a local minimum in price. Or the reduction in other costs from said product outweight any reasonable decreases in price.

Like I said to my wife yesterday in the car, at this point it would be best if my employer laid me off and I had 12 months of UI to finish/organize my projects and bone up on skills that will land me a much better (in terms of experience and pay) job.

I suppose I could cook more and do other things to reduce costs further, and I've done so in the past, but at this point learning new skills so I can get a job that pays ~2-3x more than what I make now has a better ROI than cooking unfortunately.

I always hated how all the fruits and vegetables at Trader Joe's were pre-packaged in plastic wrap. Now I know the benefit, great for dumpster diving, and fed my friend Rolo. :)

for or the record I had a really good friend in grad school in CA that also ate "reclaimed food" from dumpsters.

It's called the Freegan diet. I wasn't the only one to eat from that dumpster either. Though after that experience I always told the panhandlers that if they really needed food they should go to the Trader Joe's dumpster... I don't think they appreciated it.

- - - Updated - - -

I always hated how all the fruits and vegetables at Trader Joe's were pre-packaged in plastic wrap. Now I know the benefit, great for dumpster diving, and fed my friend Rolo. :)

for or the record I had a really good friend in grad school in CA that also ate "reclaimed food" from dumpsters.

True story. If a single veggie went bad in a multipack they'd throw the whole thing out. That's where most of my stuff came from. And then there were the pies...

I bought a large ladder, buckets and squeegee and then went up on my roof to clean my solar panels. It's dangerous as the house was high and the roof steep, it probably didn't make any noticeable difference in power generation. And walking around on the roof probably isn't good for the long term life of the roof materials.

This thread reminds me of gas car drivers who drive out of town to refuel at the cheaper gas station. Then one day they realize that they spent more money on the extra gas to get there than they saved!

For this thread, I would just like to point out time and money can be exchanged pretty easily.

Here are a few ways to trade money for time:
• Buy a house closer to work
• Buy a car instead of taking the bus (this usually helps... not always)
• Pay someone to do your landscaping for you
• Go to a car wash instead of hand washing your car
• Buy an electric car so you don't have go to the gas station any more
• etc.

Here’s how you trade time for money:
• Work

Luckily we’re all given 24 hours per day (for free!) to do with what we see fit. If you spend an hour saving five dollars, maybe you should have just spent that hour working. You probably would have made more than five dollars. This is why people who make a lot of money per hour pay huge amounts of money to park their cars in parking garages right next to the office. It allows them to spend more time at work, which more than pays for the garage cost.

I do not use cash unless I have to, all payments are with cards. That gives me 55 days of free rolling credit.

I pay all bills including credit card bills on the last day payable, without incurring the late payment fee. Payments due dates are scheduled in my online calendar. When payment reminders pop out I either pay online (credit card payments) or with the credit card (bills).

This maximises free credit. Silly but makes me happy. :smile: