Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous things you've done to save money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband likes to make fun of my "penny poor and pound foolish" tendencies, especially after I've bought a Tesla. But my reasoning is: after a big splurge like this, I _have_ to save pennies where I can. So things like:

- Driving around the block looking for parking because I don't want to pay for metered parking (this is more of a principal thing because it's ridiculous how expensive metered parking in some places is, and I don't want to worry about the meter expiring while I'm away!)

- Same thing with valet parking. If there is free street parking nearby, no way am I going to pay a valet to drive the car 10 feet to park it.

- Making my own granola b/c store bought is way more expensive

- I refuse to buy lemons at the store. (It's ridiculous to spend $0.50 on a single lemon when there are tons of lemon trees in my neighborhood that I can just pluck from! -- with the permission of my neighbors)

- Same thing with herbs that I can forage for instead of paying $1.50 for 3 sprigs of rosemary.

I spent $110,000 to save a few dollars on gas. 

Me: 130K for the same damn thing (and because I'm in LOVE)!

I cut my hair too.
I reuse EVERYTHING!

I'm a Yankee. It is physically impossible for me to waste anything. If I do, I'll explode (which would be too expensive to clean up).

- - - Updated - - -

I think he's moonlighting and that is paying for everything else (taxes?)...

Tesla Model S P85+. There is nothing else.

OK, now serously...

I used to rinse, dry and reuse my paper towels in college in the 70-80s. I couldn't afford towels. Any towels! But I was FLAT broke. Hungry all the time. Living on baked potatoes, tuna and water for a whole year, basically. Now I still do whatever I can. Like doing essentially all the contruction on my house/yard. But I have found, as I have hit my late 50's, with career and all, that I finally have broken down and hired people to help me do stuff in the last year. Finally, after all these years, I finally gave in and hired a house cleaner. It was a hard decision for me. But I'm a CFO in Silicon Valley. Enough already! It's the aforementioned Yankee in me.

For almost all my life, my belief has been that if I can physically do it, then I will learn and do it myself: construction, landscape, electric, plumbing (I HATE plumbing), gas lines, all auto work except the most difficult (I have done every oil change since I was sixteen, without exception, and used to rotate my tires myself [a total PIA]), whatever it took. It has allowed me to live at a much higher standard of living than almost all I know who make a similar income. And it's been really fun! I know all this stuff because of it!

But on Miss Tess, no compromises. I'll only use the best people to care for her, though I will ALWAYS be the ONLY person to wash her, as with every other car. It's a spiritual thing for me. Sooo enjoyable to do.

Last edited:
I skimp on my asthma medicine. If I used as directed it would cost $78/month, so I use it regularly if my lungs are acting up, then stop totally until I have issues again. It means I pay $78 about 3 times a year instead of 12x a year, but I cough more.

(before we get into discussions about insurance, I do have premium drug coverage, it is just that I can no longer use standard medicine the insurance would like me to use so copays are higher)

Edit: thanks for the PM concern. I only admitted this here because the title was "Ridiculous" things...ok, in my case, "stupid"...

Last edited:
Me: 130K for the same damn thing (and because I'm in LOVE)!

I cut my hair too.
I reuse EVERYTHING!

I'm a Yankee. It is physically impossible for me to waste anything. If I do, I'll explode (which would be too expensive to clean up).

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla Model S P85+. There is nothing else.

OK, now serously...

I used to rinse, dry and reuse my paper towels in college in the 70-80s. I couldn't afford towels. Any towels! But I was FLAT broke. Hungry all the time. Living on baked potatoes, tuna and water for a whole year, basically. Now I still do whatever I can. Like doing essentially all the contruction on my house/yard. But I have found, as I have hit my late 50's, with career and all, that I finally have broken down and hired people to help me do stuff in the last year. Finally, after all these years, I finally gave in and hired a house cleaner. It was a hard decision for me. But I'm a CFO in Silicon Valley. Enough already! It's the aforementioned Yankee in me.

For almost all my life, my belief has been that if I can physically do it, then I will learn and do it myself: construction, landscape, electric, plumbing (I HATE plumbing), gas lines, all auto work except the most difficult (I have done every oil change since I was sixteen, without exception, and used to rotate my tires myself [a total PIA]), whatever it took. It has allowed me to live at a much higher standard of living than almost all I know who make a similar income. And it's been really fun! I know all this stuff because of it!

But on Miss Tess, no compromises. I'll only use the best people to care for her, though I will ALWAYS be the ONLY person to wash her, as with every other car. It's a spiritual thing for me. Sooo enjoyable to do.

What a cool way to live life. Trying new things is harder but probably learn a lot and fun at times too all while saving a lot of money.