Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] My P85 has developed the milling noise and Tesla won't fix it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is making the noise too.. I hate it .... and saying it's acceptable isn't acceptable to me... added to the glue melting around the touchscreen (bubbles) and the vanity mirrors falling off... I won't buy the P100 as I had planned... when my engineer friends ask me "how is the Tesla doing" I have to tell them the truth.. not what I expected from a $112K car.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Mine is making the noise too.. I hate it .... and saying it's acceptable isn't acceptable to me... added to the glue melting around the touchscreen (bubbles) and the vanity mirrors falling off... I won't buy the P100 as I had planned... when my engineer friends ask me "how is the Tesla doing" I have to tell them the truth.. not what I expected from a $112K car.

Tesla just replaced the bubbling screen on a coworkers car that was long out of warranty(2012 with 98K miles). He doesn't have the extended warranty so it didn't even cost him the $200 it would have had he had that.

Mine is making the noise too.. I hate it .... and saying it's acceptable isn't acceptable to me...
No, it's not acceptable. If you've taken it up to the Service Manager and there's another Service Center in range, I'd try going there. I took mine in when the noise was barely perceptible but I knew what it was from the posts here. Drove it around the Service Center with the tech and he said he couldn't really hear anything. I said both to him and in an email to the Service Rep, "this is the milling noise, we both know how this is going to end up; with a drive unit replacement". In spite of the tech not hearing a problem, they put a microphone on it and sent the recording to Palo Alto. They kept it overnight and the drive unit was replaced the next day.

Unintentionally bumping this. Does anyone have a recording of what a 'normal' front DU on a D car should sound like? I have noticed that my D front DU is sounding unusually loud these days - a higher pitched electronic noise. As this is the only D car I have driven, I don't have a good baseline to work from. The existing milling recordings don't sound that that pronounced to me which is what is worrying me.

I do not drive a car. I cannot stand the noise. I will buy one when I am absolutely sure it is silent in the long run, and with at least the autonomy of a Model S.
I got the same issue. Buzzing noise at the low speed and heavy gas engine like noise at 70-75 miles an hours. Just bout a CPO TESLA MODESL S 2013 and noticed that on my first day. What happened with 70 point inspection????

Got my P90D a week ago and this is the sound it makes cruising. I was certain this was the milling noise but the SC told me it was normal. Does everyone’s car sound like this? Unfortunately I’ve only been in one other Tesla and didn’t pay attention.

As a D model you will have slightly more motor whine up front than in a RWD, however the whine seems to be a bit excessive in your video.

Is this at a all speeds? Most have a slight whine during initial acceleration only. Also keep in mind with radio off, no fan etc, you will hear every single creak, road bump etc. Moreso than an ice car as there is no engine noise hiding all the rest.

Milling is far worst and sounds like a all 4 of your car wheel bearings are kaput at the same time.
What you have is standard motor whine.