Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] My P85 has developed the milling noise and Tesla won't fix it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the milling noise since August. Since my car was due for annual maintenance in September, I thought I'll ask them to check it out during that. However, the first appointment available was at the end of October (last Friday) so that is when I got the service. I told them about the milling noise, they said they will look at it. But when I picked up the car, there wasn't any word about that on the service record / invoice I got. When I asked about it, I was told it was fine nothing to concern myself about. But I have the feeling they just brushed me off and simply did not want to deal with it. I can hear a noise even if the car is just rolling ahead very slowly using creep mode.

I am not happy, but I do not know what is the best action at this point. Should I try to escalate it, insist on another service appointment to have it checked ?

No. CR statistics were over optimistic at first, since with time they are reaching the same conclusion as TrueDelta. Or put another way: CR stats' evolution may show a quick degradation of the Model S that was first shown by the most disgruntled Model S owners who reported their problems to TrueDelta. You made me reconsider: maybe I should wait a couple more years before concluding anything about the reliability of Tesla cars.
TrueDelta suffers from what is called "self-selection bias" in the statistics world. Any form of selection bias, including self-selection bias, increases the likelihood the sample is not random, nor representative of the population. A random, representative sample is required to draw accurate results. CR's method is better at producing a random, representative sample. (FWIW, I think the fact that CR survey noted an increase in drive system repairs in early, but fairly new (<3yr old) cars is troubling, but hopefully Tesla's new drive unit's are more durable and reliable)

I had the milling noise since August. Since my car was due for annual maintenance in September, I thought I'll ask them to check it out during that. However, the first appointment available was at the end of October (last Friday) so that is when I got the service. I told them about the milling noise, they said they will look at it. But when I picked up the car, there wasn't any word about that on the service record / invoice I got. When I asked about it, I was told it was fine nothing to concern myself about. But I have the feeling they just brushed me off and simply did not want to deal with it. I can hear a noise even if the car is just rolling ahead very slowly using creep mode.

I am not happy, but I do not know what is the best action at this point. Should I try to escalate it, insist on another service appointment to have it checked ?
It's a design flaw. It appears to lead to a wear issue where it gets worse and worse and eventually breaks the drivetrain. Your drivetrain *WILL* need replacement. Not immediately, but eventually.

Arguably it's better to wait because Tesla is revising the drivetrain as we speak. Whenever you do get a replacement, demand the newest design. But get it done before your warranty runs out; start pushing hard on it at least a year before your warranty ends, to make sure that you get it done.

My car's in the Orlando SC now for what I think might be this issue. I was told they recorded it and the engineers said it was within it's proper threshold. The fact that just seemed to show up one day after 18k miles is incredibly disconcerting.

Basically whenever I hit the accelerator there's a weird buzz on top of the normal whirl of the motor. I hadn't heard about it being referred to as a "cicada" sound until just now searching around on the forums, but that really might be the best way to describe it.

The noise drives me ****ing crazy. Even my 3 and 4 year old kids ask about it.

...Yay.

I made another recording of this sound, only this time with the mic placed outside next to the charging port.

It would help to have an omnidirectional mic with a larger pickup range, but I think I captured it better than in my previous video. This sound never really bothered me but once I opened the sunroof while driving in a parking garage, then I really started to get annoyed. Now I can't get it out of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

An update on my case: I took my car to the service centre last Monday (July 18th), asked them to diagnose the noise in addition to fixing the front-passenger door-handle that stopped working. Got back my car Wednesday morning, they said the noise was recorded and sent to engineering in California along with all telemetrics to figure out how they can fix it (whether it can be shimmed or needs replacement drive unit). They should get back to me with a solution in a few weeks.

I made another recording of this sound, only this time with the mic placed outside next to the charging port.

It would help to have an omnidirectional mic with a larger pickup range, but I think I captured it better than in my previous video. This sound never really bothered me but once I opened the sunroof while driving in a parking garage, then I really started to get annoyed. Now I can't get it out of my head.

Holy hell, that sounds like pitted bearings due to electrolysis inside the drive unit.

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
An update on my case: I took my car to the service centre last Monday (July 18th), asked them to diagnose the noise in addition to fixing the front-passenger door-handle that stopped working. Got back my car Wednesday morning, they said the noise was recorded and sent to engineering in California along with all telemetrics to figure out how they can fix it (whether it can be shimmed or needs replacement drive unit). They should get back to me with a solution in a few weeks.

If you've had this problem since last August, you are a very, very patient person.

I hope they fix the problem this time.

My car's in the Orlando SC now for what I think might be this issue. I was told they recorded it and the engineers said it was within it's proper threshold. The fact that just seemed to show up one day after 18k miles is incredibly disconcerting.

Basically whenever I hit the accelerator there's a weird buzz on top of the normal whirl of the motor. I hadn't heard about it being referred to as a "cicada" sound until just now searching around on the forums, but that really might be the best way to describe it.

The noise drives me ****ing crazy. Even my 3 and 4 year old kids ask about it.

...Yay.

Any updates on getting Tesla to fix the problem?

Final update: The drive unit was replaced on my car last week, now it is nice and quiet. The replacement was made under warranty at no cost to me, so I am happy.

Reactions: davidc18
Sounds exactly like my experience. Which version of the drive unit did they install? Mine got the "-Q" iteration, which seems to be the magic number.

Based on the Service Invoice, I got a -Q unit too:

ASY,P- TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+ (1025276-00-Q)

ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1

And, was it a NEW or REMAN unit?

How do I find out that ? I copied above the line from the service invoice, it does not seem to mention either keyword.