Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Researching my Next Tesla Purchase - Need some feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to purchase a low mileage 2018-20 Model S that has a range of over 300 miles. I am the former owner of a 2015 MS P85D. Not sure if I would be happy with the standard S 100D or need a P100D or performance model.

here are a few of the vehicles I am looking at, would love to hear peoples opinion on pricing:

2018 S P100D 20,000 miles, Enhanced Autopilot 2.5, Price $58K Checking Range on a Full charge, 19 inch wheels
2018 S 100D 11,000 miles, AP 2.5, Price $51K, fully charge has a range of 324, 19 inch wheels
2019 S Performance 12,000 AP?, Price $68K, fully charged has a range of 332, balance of factory warranty till Nov. 23 21 inch wheels carbon turbine
2020 S Performance 16,000 Basic AP, Price $63K Fully charged range of 344, warranty till Nov 24, 19 inch wheels

Double check that the 2018s were built after March 2018 so they'll have MCU2. Otherwise I would check that they've had the retrofit. You'll probably want it.

The raven cars came out in mid 2019 and that brought more range, true 1 pedal driving, and active suspension. Those are all pretty significant upgrades.

EAP is a nice upgrade from basic AP. I find simple summon to be pretty useful to move my car back and forth in my garage when I clean it or back it out to get into my attic, but not everyone will value that. Being able to have it change lanes on the highway without disabling AP is also pretty nice. I don't think I would buy it for $6k, but it's a feature I'd look for and might spend a bit more on.

Also coming from a P85D, I couldn't go back to a standard S. That said, I am not sure if my next S will need to be a Plaid as the base car is already pretty quick.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
What is your budget?

I'm also in a 2015 P85D and will stay in this one until I decide to stay in the Tesla world permanently, at which point, I'm hoping to find a used Plaid with track package installed.

When I had my car in for service, I got a 2017 MS 100D and it was nowhere near as tight or as fast (violent) as my P85D. If you're anything like me, I don't know how you can step away from a performance model after owning one. Good luck!

I am not looking to break the bank, but looking for the right car at the right price. $50-$65 would be fine. I am beginning to think that I am narrowing in on a 2019 - 20 on the raven platform. Not sure I can be happy with the regular 100D. Thanks to all for sharing, still looking for a target price I should be paying in the current environment. Thanks to all for responding.

I am not looking to break the bank, but looking for the right car at the right price. $50-$65 would be fine. I am beginning to think that I am narrowing in on a 2019 - 20 on the raven platform. Not sure I can be happy with the regular 100D. Thanks to all for sharing, still looking for a target price I should be paying in the current environment. Thanks to all for responding.
I would just go for a performance 19-20 as well Just because you'll still definitely be under 65 and get a great deal. HOWEVER I truly believe a post march 2018 P100D would be a good buy(I have that now) one of the big reasons I would say it's a good buy is the cooled seats. Personal opinion but I think this is major. Something a lot of these performance 19-20 models don't have which is weird.

I would just go for a performance 19-20 as well Just because you'll still definitely be under 65 and get a great deal. HOWEVER I truly believe a post march 2018 P100D would be a good buy(I have that now) one of the big reasons I would say it's a good buy is the cooled seats. Personal opinion but I think this is major. Something a lot of these performance 19-20 models don't have which is weird.
What is your current range? The one I had identified came back at 267 on a full charge. Seems like a significant reduction.

What is your current range? The one I had identified came back at 267 on a full charge. Seems like a significant reduction.
287 down from 315. My current mileage is at 50k exactly. I just got the car approximately 2 months ago. 267 is pretty bad. I'm basically at a 9% reduction on a 5 year old car after 50k miles. I got plenty of range to go wherever I need to go daily. The only road trip I see in my future is my trip to DC in July :) should be easy only about 350 miles from NY

You are close enough you could probably find a 2021+ refreshed long range if you look. Far better option than any you are considering. A lot of upgrades and better range, awesome mid range acceleration, and personally think it is a better looking car with the flared haunches and staggered wheels.

Here is an example @ $64k and 20k miles.

Similar price and less mile (7k).

You get a better overall car, new body style and more warranty. Lot of options out there in this price range.

You are close enough you could probably find a 2021+ refreshed long range if you look. Far better option than any you are considering. A lot of upgrades and better range, awesome mid range acceleration, and personally think it is a better looking car with the flared haunches and staggered wheels.

You get a better overall car, new body style and more warranty. Lot of options out there in this price range.
Thanks for the feedback. Besides the body changes what are the other upgrades that are significant besides the range improvement?

Thanks for the feedback. Besides the body changes what are the other upgrades that are significant besides the range improvement?
This covers most of them by year. I don't think they cover the body changes but still a good resource.

Please note that neither of these 2 cars in the carfax links are Refresh 2021. Theyre both Raven series.

A "refreshed performance" car is a plaid.

There are 2020 performance cars starting at $67k from Tesla. You could probably nab a 2019 raven performance in the low-mid $60k range when they're available. LR 2019s start at $53k.

Buying from Tesla:
Pro: extra year / 10k miles of bumper to bumper warranty, easy to shop.
Con: Cannot see actual car before you buy, delivery charge can be steep - around $2k now.

Neither of these are a 2021+ refresh tho... these are the old body styles bro

$65 is the top end, not going into the $70's. appreciate the advice but need to find something that is going to be mid 60's at most that will have low miles and as many upgrades as possible. Still thinking Raven 19+ or 20 will be best. I think this is achievable?

Reactions: Carsly2