Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ever get embarrassed by how many green bars you've collected, I can offer plenty of advice on how to reduce them three at a time.

Yeah, and I can show you how to add 6 bars at a time while making a mockery of the reputation system.

But seriously, the reputation points system was just something we inherited here with the forum software used to make this site. I think many of the mods never really took it that seriously, and may have even talked about trying to find a way to disable it because it is possibly more trouble than it is worth.

Yes, this thread is amusing... I do think reputation points have value... if they are not devalued by begging and gratuitous granting!

Maybe (certainly not always), rep points per 1,000 posts OUGHT to reflect overall value of contribution, as judged by other members. So, if you've got higher proportion of posts to rep points, it means you just love to post - and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, I feel I already have spend more time than I should on this forum for almost 3 years (can't help it!), and find it hard to even get to 1,000. While some are flying past that in months. If you've got high proportion of rep points vs. posts, it's an indicator you probably give a lot of thought to posts (please note, that does not mean LONG posts!!!), and people find them useful. Most of us are in between.

Yeah, and I can show you how to add 6 bars at a time while making a mockery of the reputation system.

But seriously, the reputation points system was just something we inherited here with the forum software used to make this site. I think many of the mods never really took it that seriously, and may have even talked about trying to find a way to disable it because it is possibly more trouble than it is worth.
How/why are your reputation points sorted into two shorter rows instead of one long row like Bonnie?

*edit--never mind, I see it's a trick of putting them in the avatar...sneaky bastard!

Well thanks everyone for all the points. I really really wasn't fishing for points but turns out it was a pretty successful venture as I now have 3 stripes. Not entirely sure I earned them but I doubt I'll feel any guilt come next week when I'm really throwing my weight around on the forum. Guess I should start spreading some of my points around to deserving members, starting with those who gave me some. :)

IMG_2646.jpg

Well thanks everyone for all the points. I really really wasn't fishing for points but turns out it was a pretty successful venture as I now have 3 stripes. Not entirely sure I earned them but I doubt I'll feel any guilt come next week when I'm really throwing my weight around on the forum. Guess I should start spreading some of my points around to deserving members, starting with those who gave me some. :)

Exactly what they should NOT be used for. :scared:
You begging and then gratuitously rewarding the people who gave you treats is exactly the behavior that makes them worthless.

Well because of reading this thread, I now know what reputation is. I didn't know what the green bars meant (not that I cared much). But I just started clicking things on the screen until I found something that said reputation.

I haven't been able to figure this out at all. Must be dumb. I got a few reputation comments and looked, but could not find them anywhere. Probably right in front of me. I'm not all that concerned about points, etc. But I am concerned if somebody is not liking what I write. I try to be a positive contributor. Any hints would be wonderful.

Thanks!

I haven't been able to figure this out at all. Must be dumb. I got a few reputation comments and looked, but could not find them anywhere. Probably right in front of me. I'm not all that concerned about points, etc. But I am concerned if somebody is not liking what I write. I try to be a positive contributor. Any hints would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Click "settings" at the top of the page and you'll see the last few points you've received, and the last few you've given.

Or use this link: Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Give points to this post if you found it informative! :)

But I am concerned if somebody is not liking what I write. I try to be a positive contributor. Any hints would be wonderful. Thanks!

Trust me, you'll know when you've written something outside the parameters (literally or *interpretatively*) of the forum rules and have thusly been docked by a moderator. (Only Mods can give negative rep now. Used to be that all forum members could, but that was changed a while ago.)

I suspect from this post alone that you're far too nice of an individual to ever need to worry about negative rep.

Exactly what they should NOT be used for. :scared:
You begging and then gratuitously rewarding the people who gave you treats is exactly the behavior that makes them worthless.

Not sure if you're serious. I by no means was really begging for points. In the big scheme of my life reputation points will not be the measure of my success or failure (thank god). To be honest as I had 57 points and 1000 posts I assumed that maybe it was broken. A couple of people then pointed out that you need 100 to get a second bar. I definitely wasn't serious about just giving points to people who gave me some. I can't even tell who some of them are. That was another joke.
Can anyone dock tomas some reputation points for me? (also a joke)

- - - Updated - - -

Haha - well, thank you for the points, it was a bit of a joke. But I'll take 'em. Enjoy!
You sir are already a point magnet. If I'm not mistaken, you patrol the electrical based threads and provide great advice. I've been the recipient of some of this advice and if I'm not mistaken also given you points.