Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Ford Doubles Production Target for F-150 Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford has doubled its production target for the all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup, according to a report from Reuters.

The first electric version of the nation’s top-selling truck is expected to start deliveries next year. According to the report, demand for the Lighting has been so strong that Ford has decided to pump $850 million in production efforts.

Ford is now aiming to produce 80,000 electric F-150s in 2024, an increase from 40,000, according to the report. 

The company is planning to build 15,000 next year, 55,000 in 2023, and up to 160,000 units of a second-generation 2025 Lightning.

Ford unveiled the vehicle in May. The truck will have two separate liquid-cooled batteries, the 230-mile standard and the 300-mile extended range. Ford says the F-150 Lightning targets 563 horsepower, 775 lb.-ft. of “near-instantaneous” torque and a 0-60 mph time in the mid-4-second range. Ford is targeting a maximum 2,000 pounds of payload in the standard-range model with 18-inch wheels, and a maximum 10,000 pounds of available towing capacity on XLT and Lariat trucks with the extended-range battery and Max Trailer Tow Package.

The F-150 Lighting is part of a pack of electric pickups coming to market soon, including the Tesla Cybertruck, GMC Hummer, and the Rivian R1T.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect Ford will sell all they can make.
- Won't make enough to meet demand - example: Tesla can't make enough
- Dealers are the wild card - buyer beware is the usual advice
- will Ford ask for bail-out ? I suspect so bail out 1 or 2 in next decade?
- batteries the usual limiting factor - even for Tesla (now silicon chips too)

CyberTruck NOT a work truck like many F-150s - interesting to watch sales.

Reactions: WhiteWi
15k for year 1 production AFTER doubling oh my.

Even 80k a year (2024?) is lousy. 200k total roughly on the current platform before they shift in 2025.

Ford just dont have the cell supply to do better.

And this is costing them an additional $850 million.

Reactions: EinSV
I suspect Ford will sell all they can make.
- Won't make enough to meet demand - example: Tesla can't make enough
- Dealers are the wild card - buyer beware is the usual advice
- will Ford ask for bail-out ? I suspect so bail out 1 or 2 in next decade?
- batteries the usual limiting factor - even for Tesla (now silicon chips too)

CyberTruck NOT a work truck like many F-150s - interesting to watch sales.

I doubt Ford will ask for a Bail out

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
230 mi / 300 mi range and it’s going to tow 10,000 lbs ?!?!?!!

will it’s towing range at that weight be more than a few miles lol ? They can’t be serious.
My guess is people that tow are going to be seriously disappointed in the F-150 Lightnings initial range in real life. In a few years when they get bigger batteries and more efficient motors, the range will go up. These might be F-250/350 EV trucks.

But, based on what I see, 99% of the time F-150s are used as people haulers. They are used to take the kids to school, commute to work, etc. And then once or twice a year, pick up some gravel or mulch. For that the range is fine and the F-150 will help a lot of people realize just how much better EVs are as their daily vehicles.

230 mi / 300 mi range and it’s going to tow 10,000 lbs ?!?!?!!

will it’s towing range at that weight be more than a few miles lol ? They can’t be serious.
Supposedly, the ranges that Ford are quoting is with 1,000 lbs of cargo, But I'll believe it when I see it.

My guess is people that tow are going to be seriously disappointed in the F-150 Lightnings initial range in real life. In a few years when they get bigger batteries and more efficient motors, the range will go up. These might be F-250/350 EV trucks.

But, based on what I see, 99% of the time F-150s are used as people haulers. They are used to take the kids to school, commute to work, etc. And then once or twice a year, pick up some gravel or mulch. For that the range is fine and the F-150 will help a lot of people realize just how much better EVs are as their daily vehicles.
definitely not what ive seen F150 used for and definitely not what id use f150 for. With a EPA (?? bs) range of 230 its real world range would be maybe 175, 150 maybe in winter. Towing you can divide by 3 summer and 4 winter. This becomes worthless for towing.

if you dont want to tow in it they wouldnt advertise 10K# tow rating. You would also not want a pickup if you werent towing or using the bed, you would buy an SUV.

Im missing something about this vehicle, they are ramping up production but the range is not usable for the utlility purpose of this vehicle, and its whole purpose is utility. Makes no sense to me..

Reactions: FLRifleman
I'd buy it, especially if the Cybertruck only comes with a yoke. Would fit my needs perfectly. We need to haul something around town in a truck bed multiple times per year, and this would be perfect for that. But then, I don't care about long range travel or towing. It would sit parked often. My people movers are my S and 3. I would need it for stuff like bucket loads of mulch, gravel, a pallet of pavers, furniture, and loads of junk headed for the dump.

Here's a list of things I borrowed a pickup for just in the last year:
* Multiple trips to the dump with trash concrete (from demo of patio).
* Multiple trips to dump with random bulky trash.
* Towing an auger to/from rental site.
* Hauling a cement mixer.
* Hauling bucket load of coarse gravel (2 loads)

And upcoming soon (< 6 months):
* Hauling bucket load of mulch.
* Hauling bucket load of pebble gravel.

We currently share an old F-150 among family (90's era). A new electric F-150 would be a perfect replacement for it to share among family.

Last edited:
not sure if you have space but for it but for local towing runs why not just get a small utlilty trailer ? Any telsa or (ICE car for that matter) + a harbor freight 4/8 is perfect for local towing < 100 miles. its actually much better for hauling all that stuff and much more, but you gotta be able to store that trailer somewhere...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I should add, bed size is important to me. I haven't really looked, but if the electric F-150 has a short bed, that would be a huge downside that would likely stop me from purchasing. It needs to be offered with at least a standard size bed. I'd happily give up back seats for it if need be. I'm going to hazard a guess that it will only be offered with a short bed. So maybe I'll look at Rivian or whatever it's called?

Last edited:
I should add, bed size is important to me. I haven't really looked, but if the electric F-150 has a short bed, that would be a huge downside that would likely stop me from purchasing. It needs to be offered with at least a standard size bed. I'd happily give up back seats for it if need be. I'm going to hazard a guess that it will only be offered with a short bed. So maybe I'll look at Rivian or whatever it's called?
The bed for the 2022 version is 5.5 feet. This is for the 4-door, 5 passenger SuperCrew version.

That is more than enough for the Xmas tree, pavers, or bags of mulch and gravel I would put in the back. If I need to haul plywood I will leave the gate down.

• Helpful
definitely not what ive seen F150 used for and definitely not what id use f150 for. With a EPA (?? bs) range of 230 its real world range would be maybe 175, 150 maybe in winter. Towing you can divide by 3 summer and 4 winter. This becomes worthless for towing.

if you dont want to tow in it they wouldnt advertise 10K# tow rating. You would also not want a pickup if you werent towing or using the bed, you would buy an SUV.

Im missing something about this vehicle, they are ramping up production but the range is not usable for the utlility purpose of this vehicle, and its whole purpose is utility. Makes no sense to me..

It makes perfect sense. Why would you get a Truck over an SUV? Comfort and utility.

I don't have stats but driving around here, it is very rare to see an 8' bed any more. I have had a ton of work done at the house over the last 5 years from a pool to HVAC to a kitchen remodel and nearly everyone was rolling in crew cabs w/ short beds. They all had those racks that let them carry lumber/pipe/ladders over the cab. I asked a few and they said it was more important to be able to haul the whole crew to the site and back (so they ensure everyone makes it on time together, don't lolly gag at lunch, etc) than to have an 8' bed. I assume at some point that Ford will offer all configurations in the Lightning but the writing is on the wall for the 8' bed....

• Helpful