Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replika R187 wheels causing issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try to make this short..

So everything was going fine with my car until i Installed my existing winter tires on my new Replika R187 wheels. After installing, I noticed my front left side was making a weird knocking sound when making sharp turns (especially in roundabouts or when reversing out of a driveway). The garage who installed them said my car had an issue and I needed to bring it to Tesla, so I did. After checking my car Tesla said it was perfectly fine and they weren't able to reproduce the sound. I therefore gave a ride to one of the workers and he immediately noticed the sound and after verifying he concluded my front left wheel was touching the car knuckle when doing sharp turns. He switched it with the back tire and it didn't fix the issue. He suggested returning them.

Now before buying the wheels I made sure to do a lot of research and concluded no one had any issues with them. Tomorrow I am going to put a summer tire with the OEM wheels to see if it still makes the sound. If it doesn't, something is wront with the R187 wheels, but if it does, perhaps when installing my winter tires they messed up something?

Has anyone experienced somethiny similar with these wheels? Any experts that could enlighten me on what could be done? Here's a picture where you see the dent that the wheels made on the knuckle.
I fail to understand why people want to install after market rims! The stock Tesla ones are gorgeous!

I fail to understand why people want to install after market rims! The stock Tesla ones are gorgeous!

It's easy and I don't know why people don't understand why these rims are an excellent option.

When I was looking for rims for my MS Tesla was the first place I called (Vancouver SC to be specific). They could not get me a price for just rims and I was. It going to buy their winter rim package as I am a Nokian person for my winters. Given this I was forced to look at other options and these were a perfect choice as they fit the car perfect.

I really don't understand why people who have probably never even seen these wheels think they are cheap or if a poor quality. They are cheap, in that that are less than $200 a wheel, but that is all. They are very well made and meet the globally recognized standards for rims. Thus, please point to something specific about the rims that is causing you and others to think they are something other. Does Tesla make their own rims? I suspect that they do not and that they likely outsource the production of the rims to a company just like the one that makes these rims with likely the same specifications.

These rims look just like the Tesla grey turbine 21" wheels but in 19" instead, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If the spacers fix my issue I will be very happy to have these. It'll keep my OEM wheels safe from Winter

Is China any different than any where else is kind of my point!

Yes, the good stuff is excellent, and the crap is utter. You don't get utter crap from a supplier here.

We've ordered parts from a Chinese supplier, and found that half of them had defects. It was still cheaper than getting them from a North American supplier if we threw out half of them, so we did. Later we found a more reliable supplier and we're getting good quality parts at a great price.

A friend of mine ordered lenses from China for his business. Got a sample and it was fine. Paid for and received the production parts and they were hilariously awful. They wouldn't take them back.

We still get the vast majority of our parts made in the US and Canada, but for certain items it's far less expensive to get them from China if we can find a good supplier.

Bizarrely some North American suppliers have raised their prices 5X and basically forced us to go to China. We were sticking with them at 2X China pricing, because the extra shipping costs and hassle wasn't worth it, but at 10X China pricing it's absurd. There's no difference in quality... I think the North American supplier is just selling to customers who are buying small quantities, or can't be bothered tracking down overseas suppliers, or who think that the expensive ones are better quality (they aren't).

Yes, the good stuff is excellent, and the crap is utter. You don't get utter crap from a supplier here.

We've ordered parts from a Chinese supplier, and found that half of them had defects. It was still cheaper than getting them from a North American supplier if we threw out half of them, so we did. Later we found a more reliable supplier and we're getting good quality parts at a great price.

A friend of mine ordered lenses from China for his business. Got a sample and it was fine. Paid for and received the production parts and they were hilariously awful. They wouldn't take them back.

We still get the vast majority of our parts made in the US and Canada, but for certain items it's far less expensive to get them from China if we can find a good supplier.

Bizarrely some North American suppliers have raised their prices 5X and basically forced us to go to China. We were sticking with them at 2X China pricing, because the extra shipping costs and hassle wasn't worth it, but at 10X China pricing it's absurd. There's no difference in quality... I think the North American supplier is just selling to customers who are buying small quantities, or can't be bothered tracking down overseas suppliers, or who think that the expensive ones are better quality (they aren't).
Interesting, what's your business and what do you order from China? How difficult was it to contact the suppliers due to language barriers?

Interesting, what's your business and what do you order from China? How difficult was it to contact the suppliers due to language barriers?

We make low-light cameras for scientific applications. Right now we mainly order optics (windows and filters) and certain specialty components from China. Occasionally we have ordered cast aluminum parts for larger orders.

Companies that we deal with communicate in English, mostly by email. The main challenge has been finding good companies to work with. In some cases simply paying them has been surprisingly difficult; in one case their bank rejects wire transfers for whatever incomprehensible reason... we ended up using PayPal.

We only get a small percentage of our parts from China. It makes much more sense, for example, to get our machined parts locally or from US suppliers. There's a lot more back-and-forth communications involved and lead times are important, so language and time zones matter. Lead time and shipping costs negate any possible cost advantage.

We make low-light cameras for scientific applications. Right now we mainly order optics (windows and filters) and certain specialty components from China. Occasionally we have ordered cast aluminum parts for larger orders.

Companies that we deal with communicate in English, mostly by email. The main challenge has been finding good companies to work with. In some cases simply paying them has been surprisingly difficult; in one case their bank rejects wire transfers for whatever incomprehensible reason... we ended up using PayPal.

We only get a small percentage of our parts from China. It makes much more sense, for example, to get our machined parts locally or from US suppliers. There's a lot more back-and-forth communications involved and lead times are important, so language and time zones matter. Lead time and shipping costs negate any possible cost advantage.
Awesome. Maybe sometime soon you'll be able to use bitcoin. Much less expensive to transfer and is done much quicker.

Awesome. Maybe sometime soon you'll be able to use bitcoin. Much less expensive to transfer and is done much quicker.

The price of bitcoin is too volatile. Maybe some other cryptocurrency. Certainly something needs to be done to get rid of the ridiculous wire transfer fees, which can be $30 - $50 - $80 depending on the country, the other end's bank, and the possible need for intermediary banks.

My guess is that if the rim is the stock width the offset is wrong for the application. The inside edge of the rim is frequently the first contact point if the offset is wrong. Spacers may very well solve this but the thickness of each spacer shortens the wheel stud the same amount. It's critical to make sure you have enough thread left using spacers to fully engage the lug nuts.