Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing 5 month old Key Fob battery has improved my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joninmelbourne

Solid Black S60 new face
Jun 29, 2016
Melbourne
Just replaced my key fob battery after only 5 months after some errors happening with Summon and occasionally not having door handle extend immediately.

The battery replacement has made Summon more reliable with less error messages and the doors now open as soon as I walk up to the doors. Maybe the once a year recommendation to change key fob batteries is too long on the Tesla as the fob communicates with the car a lot creating a big drain on a tiny watch battery. I bought a pack of five for $4 off eBay so will change every 6 months from now on I reckon. Anybody have similar experiences? Cheers

Just replaced my key fob battery after only 5 months after some errors happening with Summon and occasionally not having door handle extend immediately.

The battery replacement has made Summon more reliable with less error messages and the doors now open as soon as I walk up to the doors. Maybe the once a year recommendation to change key fob batteries is too long on the Tesla as the fob communicates with the car a lot creating a big drain on a tiny watch battery. I bought a pack of five for $4 off eBay so will change every 6 months from now on I reckon. Anybody have similar experiences? Cheers
Same with me - I only use one fob. Might be OK for a year if the fobs are alternated.

I was thinking about this. I work with low power devices that do occasional transmission on schedule (pacemakers). To save battery these devices keep the radio off until the scheduled transmission time.

These fobs are essentially always running 24h, because they never know when you're going to be approaching your car. Must use battery quickly.

I'm going to replace mine. Hopefully will make boot unlock when approaching from behind.