Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

repair pushed in parking sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an early 2016 90D with the nose-cone...

What are the options for repairing the mount point for parking sensors? The sensor's there, and works fine but it's kinda loose in the mounting and will sometimes get pushed into the cavity behind the bumper. It's the sensor next to the nose cone, but not on the nose cone; I can shove my hand behind the sensor without pulling the bumper off.

Is it viable to smear some epoxy or hot glue into the space between the bumper and the sensor and hold it in place until it sets? Should I pull the bumper off and see if I can plastic-weld a more robust repair in place? How much would a body shop charge to repair this?

Not sure if this answers your question, but if you log into Tesla Parts using your account and navigate to the sensors for your car, there are DECOUPLING RETAINER RING FOR SENSORS, and retainers to connect the sensor normally to the rear part of the bumper. You can then order the parts through the app, and specify other, parts only, unless you want them to also install it. They should respond with the estimate.

You can reattach the sensor as the bracket have got loose. It’s better to get the bumper off as if you do not clean the surrounding then the fix is temporary. If you have worked with cars then it’s not that complicated to remove the bumper, as the sensor is in easily reachable place then you do not need to take it totally off, just move it a bit to get it done. Place some block underneath to support the bumper. Here is one photo of rear sensor, I have fixed both. Similar bracket is around front sensor.

DE431395-70AB-44B7-B098-CE4DC5DFA436.jpeg