Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented 85kw for 3 days during Super Bowl.. Opting NOT to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the disconnect can be summed up like this:

KDIceBergSlim drives extensively on weekends, and doesn't want to worry about plugging the car in to charge on Saturday night.

Other Tesla Motor Club members find it unlikely that KDIceBergSlim is driving the equivalent of around the entire valley several times in a single day, and believe that he could viably charge the car at home every night and have range on Sunday for another six hours of valley driving.

Does that seem fair? If so, one can bridge the gap. I personally believe that KDIceBergSlim, on purchasing a Tesla, would discover that charging it at home at night would lend far more range than he can use on a regular basis, even with several bouts of fine dining, five or six malls, and half a dozen grocery store stops on a Saturday. Perhaps I'm in error.

Rented? Hey; I just have ONE question.

Where can I rent a Model S for 3 days, for a reasonable price?

I tried search, but there's 17 pages on here and it's mostly debating the situation...

I'm saving my pennies for an X, but wouldn't mind also renting a S for a few days to see if it's really what I hope it will be.

Just want to know where to rent! White flag! lol.

KDice: Since you didn't have 240V home charging and had to treat charging the same as filling-up with gas, let's put this in perspective. Let's say you had a gas pump at home and the gas were $0.66 per gallon. Or, you can drive ten minutes away to a gas station (SuperCharger) and get free gas, but had to wait in line for 20-minutes for the free gas? What would you do? Would you fill-up at home for 66-cents a gallon or would you take 40 minutes out of your day to get free gas? I presume most would choose filling at home. I know I would, especially if I drove 300 miles per day like you do. That 5 or 6 hours of driving would make me want to get home.

Given OP's last post that went to snippiness, I think its clear that our attempt at discussing the car logically and rationally with him has and will always be futile. I think it's best if we stop trying to reason with him and move on.

It's like that episode of Parks & Rec where Leslie Knope tries to get that one mean voter to like her by buying him drinks, going bowling with him, etc. By the end, he still hates her. Similarly, there are people in this world who will clutch to their FUD in the face of any facts or other people's experiences. It's tempting to want to "help" these people but if their mind is closed, no amount of good intentions will matter.

This has been highly entertaining however, and I'm thankful TMC is filled with so many knowledgeable people! If nothing else, perhaps some lurkers have learned something.

I believe the disconnect can be summed up like this:

KDIceBergSlim drives extensively on weekends, and doesn't want to worry about plugging the car in to charge on Saturday night.

Other Tesla Motor Club members find it unlikely that KDIceBergSlim is driving the equivalent of around the entire valley several times in a single day, and believe that he could viably charge the car at home every night and have range on Sunday for another six hours of valley driving.

Does that seem fair? If so, one can bridge the gap. I personally believe that KDIceBergSlim, on purchasing a Tesla, would discover that charging it at home at night would lend far more range than he can use on a regular basis, even with several bouts of fine dining, five or six malls, and half a dozen grocery store stops on a Saturday. Perhaps I'm in error.

You're absolutely right. He might do all that. The problem is, his arguments have been extremely limp because he won't (or refuses, or doesn't feel he should, whatever... take your pick) explain that. A statement which has been asked multiple times by other members still remains a mystery... "How many miles do you typically drive on these big weekends?"

I said it two days ago..
Good Lord... He doesn't want one. He doesn't want to hear the rebuttals to his reasoning. He doesn't want to answer specifics about his daily usage (daily mileage - including dining shopping etc.). He doesn't want to use the wife's car on the occasion the S doesn't work for him (totally his choice - I get it). He wants the S to work for him 100% of the time. I think this one's been beaten to death. Time to move on.

He just wants to 100% replace the Altima with a 400 mile pack electric car. Anything less than that is unacceptable to him. And that is certainly his right.

Yes, his original post and his many responses remind me of some of the comments I often see anywhere there is ever a story about a Tesla on the internet. There are almost always comments along the lines of "Talk to me when the Tesla has a 500 mile range, can charge in 10 minutes, and costs $20K", or "An EV will never work for me because I drive 600 miles a day".

This whole thread has been an entertaining example of stubbornness... :)

Last edited:
120V and there are blink chargers in my area, as well as a Supercharger in Buckeye (31 miles away, straight shot off the freeway)

I am not against the Supercharger or even using the 240V Charger at Scottsdale Fashion square which is 10 miles away..

I also just spoke to a Sales Rep at the Tesla Brea Mall.. He said that Tesla even recommends only charging up to 60%-80%, so I keep getting some validation of what my overall knowledge is of this car. He did say you can charge 100%, but again.. they do recommend the latter.

Unfortunately during your 3 day rental, you were not able to experience the Model S as an owner would. A Model S owner would have 240 miles of range every morning, because he charges overnight, typically from a 240V outlet in his garage, or in his driveway. Most owners do not need to make plans to charge the car at public stations. For example, there are dozens of Level 2 charging stations within a 15 mile radius of my home, but I couldn't tell you where they all are, because I have no need to use them. However, if I am going on a road trip (over 200 miles), I generally know where the first supercharger station is in each direction.

As for the Blink chargers, the whole idea of paying money to charge really slowly is unappealing.

The OP seems to think he knows more about a Tesla Model S than a large group of actual, well-informed, long-term Tesla Model S owners. He refuses to be educated on the many incorrect statements he has made about range, charging, "batteries being bricked", and how the Tesla battery warranty actually works.

My guess is that he is relatively young, probably cannot get financed for a Model S due to his income and lack of credit history, and would have to stretch financially to afford the payments if he was approved for financing. Rather than admit this to himself, he decides to make a bunch of straw man arguments about how the car would not work for him on a Tesla enthusiasts forum, thereby generating 16 pages of comments (so far). I am sure he is enjoying the attention...

^^ this!

- - - Updated - - -

Am I allowed to quote the OP's post that went to snippiness? I would simply like to present it again so that others can see this person's last communication. The OP's choice of words in the below post might offer us some closure on the topic...

Lol.. Like I really need attention from some people on the Internet.. As far as I'm concern y'all can " Delete the thread "

What a bunch a clowns..

I get's all the attention I need from my fiancé.. Please believe me.. Don't worry bout me and mines or my money.. Get your own..

my apologies to the forum and the mods if I'm not allowed to do this (quote a snippiness).

Rented? Hey; I just have ONE question.

Where can I rent a Model S for 3 days, for a reasonable price?

I tried search, but there's 17 pages on here and it's mostly debating the situation...

I'm saving my pennies for an X, but wouldn't mind also renting a S for a few days to see if it's really what I hope it will be.

Just want to know where to rent! White flag! lol.

How does zero dollars sound? I took the local store's P85D on an overnight as an extended test drive. I think the person before me had it all weekend. You might try your local store first.

120V and there are blink chargers in my area, as well as a Supercharger in Buckeye (31 miles away, straight shot off the freeway)

I am not against the Supercharger or even using the 240V Charger at Scottsdale Fashion square which is 10 miles away..

I also just spoke to a Sales Rep at the Tesla Brea Mall.. He said that Tesla even recommends only charging up to 60%-80%, so I keep getting some validation of what my overall knowledge is of this car. He did say you can charge 100%, but again.. they do recommend the latter.

Sounds to me like the "daily range" on the charge limit slider - which I think is 60-90%, btw. I personally charge to 80% but that's because that gives me 200 miles of range in the morning - equivalent to 1/2 a tank of gas. I never drive more than 1/3 a tank of gas per day unless I road-trip so that's plenty for me. If I thought I needed the extra range, I'd charge to 90% every day and not worry.

I would say that if you drove the car for three days and didn't fall in love with it, it's not for you. The S gives you Ferrari-class performance with BMW-7 series comfort and practicality. Nothing else on the market can do that, not even the M-series and AMG-tuned cars.

You don't seem to care about that or about the high performance aspect of the Model S in general. Nor do you seem to put a high value on driving electric.

So yes, you should get a different car.

OP, range should not scare you. I have a P85D and a 140 mile (round trip) daily commute is cold a$$ Wisconsin. The temp today was -3 F. I charge to about 80% and range has not been an issue, even with this cold. I am sure the S85D will be waaaay more efficient.

Let this thread die. OP already called us a bunch of names and the mod sent the post to snippiness. OP was not sincere in having a discussion, just pushing his single, uneducated viewpoint. When he came back to insult the same owners who were trying to educate him was when I realized he was nothing but a tool.

I've been renting my Tesla out here and there in Seattle through a website. I've noticed that as a rental, there are some current limitations, the biggest being charging.

As an owner, I have no issue with charging, but that's because I am able to charge at home every night in a hassle free manner. If you're an out-of-towner, you may not be sleeping at a place that can facilitate charging. This gives the impression that owning the car is a lot more of a hassle then it really is. You have to treat it like a lower-range gas car, which really takes the fun out of it. Generally, people rent the car because they want to drive around a decent number of miles to get their money worth (I charge over $200 a day for my P85). Then there's the issue of long expensive repairs if anything happens to it. Finally, you have to worry about people returning it with enough range for me to get home.

When I get my Chademo adapter, this will become a lot easier. There are very few places to charge at 80 amps in Seattle.

Unfortunately, your assessment completely ignores the 2 serious issues of global warming/particulate pollution and international terrorism, much of which is indirectly financed by Big Oil. Also your comments regarding range are complete daft given that the vast majority of car owners only do an average of 40-odd miles a day! I'll be keeping my EV, thanks very much!