Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Cal Hov Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen any posting on this, but I'm interested in getting another used Model S and I've seen several nice ones on Tesla site for sale that have come from California.
Unfortunately they have those awful HOV Stickers on the bumper and rear side panels. :(
Does anyone know how easy these are to remove? Has anyone had good response getting them off the car?
I'd hate to put good money in a nice car only to have scratches, scuffs or whatever, after removing the stickers.

I removed mine from the lower dark plastic of the 2012 Tesla. A 1200 watt hair dryer worked well placed near the surface. Heat the easiest corner you find to start the removal. Start with 10 seconds at your start point then move the hot air away from your hand as you start to pick at the corner with a fingernail. Continue to lift the sticker slowly while heating the remaining sticker that is attached. Be careful, the heat of the dryer is uncomfortable as you lift the sticker, so don't heat your hand. Overheating or scraping is unnecessary.

After the sticker was removed, I had about one half dozen or so VOID pieces that were removed with a small portion of paper towel and Goo Gone. Use your fingernail with the moistened paper towel to gently remove remaining VOIDs. Once finished, clean the area with water or a gentle water based soapy solution to remove the Goo Gone.

Not that I want to gloat :D but knowing this day would come I had installed mine on a clear, peelable backing and just lifted a corner with a razor blade, pulled and they were gone. A little wipe with a towel and you could never tell they were there.

Of course I ran the risk of someone doing that procedure on me to steal my stickers, but I relied on herd mentality where they probably thought they were stuck on just like everybody else's stickers.

Not that I want to gloat :D but knowing this day would come I had installed mine on a clear, peelable backing and just lifted a corner with a razor blade, pulled and they were gone. A little wipe with a towel and you could never tell they were there.

Of course I ran the risk of someone doing that procedure on me to steal my stickers, but I relied on herd mentality where they probably thought they were stuck on just like everybody else's stickers.

I learned from my mistake of putting them directly on the car. This time around, I purchased @skylargray clean-cling films which work great !!!