Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. You can't walk alone for half a year? That's totally insane!! Best of luck in your recovery.

Half a year is the minimal someone has been able to walk after surgery. Some take a year or more. And some never recover fully and are crippled now. What lucky hand of cards I've been dealt with in life, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Many of us would be happy to check in on you...

where re is your hospital located?

I checked the locations that you guys reported in the profiles and none of you are near where I am.

Half a year is the minimal someone has been able to walk after surgery. Some take a year or more. And some never recover fully and are crippled now. What lucky hand of cards I've been dealt with in life, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

I checked the locations that you guys reported in the profiles and none of you are near where I am.

Magical things can happen if people knew where you are :)

Especially for people who enjoy driving their cars. Over long distances. For free. :)

I emailed Allen within and outside of this forum and each time he responded quickly and personally. You, sir, are a model of customer service and a rare example of dedication to your craft. Kudos to you, and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

The problem is that this is a public forum, and I don't want to post my exact location due to issues like blackmailing (which has happened to me before). Just talking to me through this forum is already helping me from being bored while confined to a hospital bed. If anyone really wants to help me, the girl who I've set up a college fund for (see tip jar in my post signatures) might be paying me a visit this summer before she goes back to college in NY in August. If you guys want to help me, help her. Seeing her happy makes me happy. The look on her face was priceless when I showed her all the donation emails and gave her the thousands of dollars you guys donated to her. And I have all of you guys to thank for that memorable moment. She was especially ecstatic when a fellow veterinarian donated money to her college fund. She said that it felt like someone was passing down the torch.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen,
I've bought a lot of apple products over the years, but could never see the purpose of the apple watch.
You gave it purpose; I bought it and it arrived today.
Thank you.

Congrats on your new watch. I find the Apple Watch to be convenient. It's not a necessity, but it's very convenient to not have to fish for my phone out of my pockets each time that I get a message or want to check the status of something.

Sorry to sound so brash, but this is getting redicuous. I'm an electrical engineer patent attorney dealing with this stuff professionally for 30 plus years, and this is the first time I am stuck.

Oh dear Lord.

In 30 years, this is the first time you've been stuck? That seems highly unlikely given the history of DOS Windows 95, windows ME!!!, MacOS, IOS, Android. Hell, even my cable box gives me fits sometimes.

You should chill - your investment in the app is minimal. Your expections for this level of personalized support from a dude in a hospital bed is absolutely crazy. Oh wait, you're an attorney...

Donated to the college fund few weeks ago.

FYI -
iPhone 6 IOS 8.4
Firmware 6.2(2.4.245) Energy Saving ON Always Connected ON

Breadcrumbs worked, no problem. Tapped on pins, tapped on bubbles, no problem, no crash.

FYI rego: bubble clicking causes no crash. I'm on 5s running iOs 8.4.

Breadcrumbs works well. Car is always connected.

Thanks for the info. This info will help me figure out what's causing the crash.

P. S. I had my friend come and go check my car settings. Energy Savings was turned On. The breadcrumb tracking still worked with Energy Savings on. Also my car with Always Connected check on only draws a .4 A current:

View attachment 86094

I didn't realize until these posts that your app can show the actual vampire draw on the battery. That is way cool and is an additional feature I really appreciate. So, I immediately opened up my Remote S app to see what my car is currently drawing. At first, no data was there, but then realized I needed to go to the settings screen to turn that feature on. Thought I would note that here in case anyone was having trouble finding it. I sure hope you keep this in future versions as you make adjustments in the data you show based on earlier comments here.
You, sir, are a model of customer service and a rare example of dedication to your craft. Kudos to you, and wishes for a speedy recovery.
++1. I have no doubt that if you did list your location here, quite quickly a convoy of Tesla owners would be coming to see you. That is what I think I love most about this community. But, I also understand why you wouldn't want to do so as it makes you vulnerable to those with less than great intentions. The one thing though you can take as an absolute - you have a fan base here like no other! :)

- - - Updated - - -

No matter what I do, I can not get the breadcrumb feature to work.

Any chance that the problem here is that you did not allow the Remote S app to access Location services? I would think this would block the app from being able to display breadcrumbs. Easy to check that it is on by going to the settings screen for the app. Quickest way to that screen is by holding down for several seconds on the part of the Remote S screen in the bottom window where it shows Ideal miles. Obviously, an alternative is to go into the iOS Settings screen and then navigating to the Remote S app's settings screen there. The toggle switch is at the very top of that screen.

I didn't realize until these posts that your app can show the actual vampire draw on the battery. That is way cool and is an additional feature I really appreciate. So, I immediately opened up my Remote S app to see what my car is currently drawing. At first, no data was there, but then realized I needed to go to the settings screen to turn that feature on. Thought I would note that here in case anyone was having trouble finding it. I sure hope you keep this in future versions as you make adjustments in the data you show based on earlier comments here.

Really? Where? I assume you mean in the settings when you hit the Remote S title at the top? If so, I'm not seeing that option in there.

++1. I have no doubt that if you did list your location here, quite quickly a convoy of Tesla owners would be coming to see you. That is what I think I love most about this community. But, I also understand why you wouldn't want to do so as it makes you vulnerable to those with less than great intentions. The one thing though you can take as an absolute - you have a fan base here like no other! :)

Any chance that the problem here is that you did not allow the Remote S app to access Location services? I would think this would block the app from being able to display breadcrumbs. Easy to check that it is on by going to the settings screen for the app. Quickest way to that screen is by holding down for several seconds on the part of the Remote S screen in the bottom window where it shows Ideal miles. Obviously, an alternative is to go into the iOS Settings screen and then navigating to the Remote S app's settings screen there. The toggle switch is at the very top of that screen.

And I appreciate the support that you guys give me. Last night, I walked four more laps in a row around the hallways. I could have walked more but I was afraid of disturbing all the sleeping patients with my walking and chatting with the nurse who followed me around. All the nurses were stunned to see me walking so much and with such ease. They all nicknamed me "superstar". It's good to know that hard work and dedication in my work also translate well into dedication and hard work in my surgical recovery. They were also equally shocked to see me sitting in my bed with my legs folded in "Indian style". Most patients struggle to even bend their knees by 90 degrees, and here I was folding them in 150 degrees. If you guys haven't figured it out by now, both my femurs are broken.

Locations services is not required for breadcrumb tracking to work. It's only for show the user location and not car location. The reason he didn't get it to work is because for some reason, his particular model S does not report its location unless Energy Savings is turned off and Always connected is turned on. Then he also said that it worked fine on his iPad but doesn't work on his iPhone. Meanwhile, nobody else reported problems with breadcrumb tracking.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? Where? I assume you mean in the settings when you hit the Remote S title at the top? If so, I'm not seeing that option in there.
No, press and hold Ideal Range for two seconds or so to access it. Or tap on the switch cars icon and there's a cogwheel button to get to it. or just use the iPhone settings app and scroll down until you see Remote S

Allen, without knowing the exact details of your condition, I have to say that is indeed completely extraordinary, walking already after such a major op.
Keep up the hard work, but know your limits.
Recovery is akin to snakes and ladders, keep climbing the ladders but overdo it and you'll catch one of the snakes!
All the best to you.

That is exactly what happened to me as well, somewhere in the upgrade from v1 to v2. Not sure if I missed one of the pop-up access for access, but initially I didn't get the breadcrumbs to work. When I tapped on an underlying map, it did show the pop-up again. Once enabled, it worked straight away.

Perhaps as a suggestion for a next release: When you turn the breadcrumbs on, the app should check if the user has allowed acces to the GPS

@allen: two broken femurs and folding your knees at 150 degrees hurts, just thinking about it!

That is exactly what happened to me as well, somewhere in the upgrade from v1 to v2. Not sure if I missed one of the pop-up access for access, but initially I didn't get the breadcrumbs to work. When I tapped on an underlying map, it did show the pop-up again. Once enabled, it worked straight away.

Perhaps as a suggestion for a next release: When you turn the breadcrumbs on, the app should check if the user has allowed acces to the GPS

@allen: two broken femurs and folding your knees at 150 degrees hurts, just thinking about it!

Strange. Location services shouldn't be required to get breadcrumb tracking to work. Try turning it off again and seeing if it still works. This is a tough bug to figure out, because it appears to affect only a few people. It should also be noted that breadcrumb tracking only works when the car is actually driving. It will not place multiple pins in the same location if the GPS coordinates reported by Tesla is the same. A part of me is wondering if Swegman was actually trying to use breadcrumb tracking while driving or just left the car sitting there.

They told me that I have an extraordinarily high pain tolerance. I feel pain, but I also know that pain is a mental state. I just tune it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I also forgot to mention that the other possible reason why breadcrumb tracking didn't work is because Tesla sometimes throttles the server when too many users are connected to it. It's possible that since everyone tried to use the app at the same time after the Version 2.0 release, Tesla servers might have blocked access to certain users temporarily. This is not something that I have control over. And it's more of Tesla's servers' fault for not being able to handle this many users.

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention that the other possible reason why breadcrumb tracking didn't work is because Tesla sometimes throttles the server when too many users are connected to it. It's possible that since everyone tried to use the app at the same time after the Version 2.0 release, Tesla servers might have blocked access to certain users temporarily. This is not something that I have control over. And it's more of Tesla's servers' fault for not being able to handle this many users.

This is one aspect of your software that I would urge caution with. Because as we've already seen, Tesla can be unpredictable.

I saw where you already said you were going to change the defaults in version 3.0 to hit the servers less frequently. I think that's a great idea.

Tesla almost certainly isn't going to increase their server capacity to allow a third-party app to work better, even if it is a third-party app that many of their customers love. I think they are much more likely to choose to throttle more aggressively, or, as MarcG pointed out, take even more drastic action that none of us want to see them take.

Until you are able to actually change the defaults, etc. in version 3.0, you might want to consider strongly suggesting to your user-base here that we all reduce our polling frequencies on our own. In a perfect world Tesla would only take throttling action against individual accounts, based on that account's usage of the servers. But we know this isn't a perfect world. I honestly think the best thing for everyone, and for the future of Remote S very well may be for all of us to be hitting the servers less. One of the first settings I changed in the app on my wife's phone was that one.

It's your call, of course, Allen. I'm just offering my opinion, (which is partially based on having followed the Visible Tesla thread for quite a while, and seeing what Tesla was doing with respect to throttling.)

This is one aspect of your software that I would urge caution with. Because as we've already seen, Tesla can be unpredictable.

I saw where you already said you were going to change the defaults in version 3.0 to hit the servers less frequently. I think that's a great idea.

Tesla almost certainly isn't going to increase their server capacity to allow a third-party app to work better, even if it is a third-party app that many of their customers love. I think they are much more likely to choose to throttle more aggressively, or, as MarcG pointed out, take even more drastic action that none of us want to see them take.

Until you are able to actually change the defaults, etc. in version 3.0, you might want to consider strongly suggesting to your user-base here that we all reduce our polling frequencies on our own. In a perfect world Tesla would only take throttling action against individual accounts, based on that account's usage of the servers. But we know this isn't a perfect world. I honestly think the best thing for everyone, and for the future of Remote S very well may be for all of us to be hitting the servers less. One of the first settings I changed in the app on my wife's phone was that one.

It's your call, of course, Allen. I'm just offering my opinion, (which is partially based on having followed the Visible Tesla thread for quite a while, and seeing what Tesla was doing with respect to throttling.)

I will mimic VisibleTesla's refresh rates in version 3.0. Do you know what it is by any chance? I heard that it was different depending on whether the car is driving or not or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.