Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remember to check auto-lock feature.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I experienced this problem today. I've been checking on my car with the mobile app, while I'm on a road trip, with an eye on the lock state. Earlier today (while I was supercharging, actually), the car was locked, according to the mobile app, and I think the only way it could have gotten that way was to auto-lock. Then tonight, I decided to check on a whim, while my car is parked at my hotel, and it's unlocked! So somehow the setting must have changed itself even without a software update. I haven't been back to the car, yet, to actually check the setting, but rather I just locked it via the app.

Don't forget about this from the manual:

"Note: If all doors are closed and you double- click the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until the next time you use the key to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage."

"Note: If all doors are closed and you double- click the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until the next time you use the key to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage."

Does this protocol seem counterintuitive to anyone else? It's probable that I've unwittingly left the car unlocked at times because of it. It's way too easy to overlook a single sentence in a user manual that changes regularly; a better protocol would be that IF unlocked with the fob THEN walk-away locking is suspended until EITHER the next time the car is driven, OR it's locked with the fob. I often use the fob to lock and unlock the doors to demonstrate the car's retractable door handles, but I never lock the car with the fob in my daily driving routine.

Aha, so it's not software update maybe? This is pretty arcane operating info I should know. Wonder how many times I've done this?

Wow! RTFM! I did not know that, and have probably been caught out by it more than once (but with no losses, thank goodness!).

Anyway, I now am getting in the habit of always locking the car with the fob when I park on the street, just to be sure.

Wow! RTFM! I did not know that, and have probably been caught out by it more than once (but with no losses, thank goodness!).

Anyway, I now am getting in the habit of always locking the car with the fob when I park on the street, just to be sure.

Actually, it seems as if it is more like re-RTFM at every release to check for changes, since release notes don't seem to have everything. Or, was this in release notes at some point?

Aha, so it's not software update maybe? This is pretty arcane operating info I should know. Wonder how many times I've done this?
I think there was still a problem with the software update. In the mentioned feature (I also did not know this) the walk away locking is "temporarily suspended". For me, I started noticing that the car wasn't locked on different occasions for a period of time and initially assumed it was various occurences or things that I had done (or not done) that accounted for the car not being locked. It took a while before I thought to check the Control/Setting and found that the feature had been turned off. Since I've turned it back on I haven't had any more unexplained unlock occurrences.

That's probably what happened to me, now that you mention it. I didn't know about this feature. I don't think I like it.

That's probably what happened to me, now that you mention it. I didn't know about this feature. I don't think I like it.
I knew about this feature. Problem I had with it is that if I open the car once while it is in my garage, the feature disables and auto locks, which kills the whole purpose of leaving it unlocked in my garage. Wish this feature could be geofenced like the home link and scheduled charging because I would love to leave auto locking on for anywhere else.

I find the interval between starting to walk away and actual locking to be too long, so I always use the fob to manually lock. Always keep the car locked in the garage as well. I'm more concerned about the number of reports of control settings that seem to get reset or altered during updates.

So I assume the police were not willing to take fingerprints from your touchscreen for just a Break and Enter?

Oh no, they were. But Seattle PD use a magnetic dusting powder that the officer said could effect my electronics.

Since my original post, I realized that after my recent trip to Banff (see my separate thread), I had left my passport in the center console. That's now gone, too, Bas**rds. They say god protects children and stupid people.

Glad I'm an atheist. :wink:

I knew about this feature. Problem I had with it is that if I open the car once while it is in my garage, the feature disables and auto locks, which kills the whole purpose of leaving it unlocked in my garage. Wish this feature could be geofenced like the home link and scheduled charging because I would love to leave auto locking on for anywhere else.

The original issue that was brought up in this thread wouldn't be solved with this solution... the car would still have been unlocked in his garage then.