Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wouldn't auto-lock or switch off after exiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a look around the forum but couldn't find anyone else spotting this so thought I'd mention it.

I had an interesting experience last night when going to a pub with some friends for a pre-new-year get together in my new Model Y (had it about two weeks).
We've had a lot of rain recently and the pub was in a small village with narrow roads and little parking. Since the road was so narrow, I parked right up to a fence next to a field and that just happened to be on my driver's side. I'd already seen it was really muddy on my side when I drove up to the space, so I asked the other three occupants to get out before reversing into the space and tucking right up to the fence.

I then clambered carefully over the central console to get out of the passenger door, exited the car and walked down the road to meet my waiting friends before going into the pub. I was some way from the car at this point and had met up with other friends before going into the pub and I thought that I hadn't heard the customary short horn sound as the car locks itself. I had a glance back at the car, and the lights were still on and the wing mirrors hadn't retracted. Looked at the Tesla app and sure enough, the car was still unlocked. So I locked it with app, assuming it hadn't quite registered I was far away enough from the vehicle yet. All good.

But it wasn't. The car was now locked, but the lights were still on, the wing mirrors unfolded, and I noticed in the app that climate was still running and Spotify still playing. Hmmm.
Switched off the climate manually and paused Spotify. Fine.

Walked towards the pub, chatting with my friends. Just before going inside, had a look back again and the lights were still on. In the Tesla app, although I had paused Spotify, it was still showing in the app (didn't realise you could control that from the Tesla app as well... pretty cool).

Went into the pub, somewhat distracted thinking about the car and why it was behaving that way. Sat down for a few minutes wondering why my car hadn't shut itself down, and wondering whether there would be enough SoC when I returned to drive home (although was sure there would be since it was around 70+%).

Then it dawned on me. What if the Tesla still thought I was in the car as I hadn't exited from the driver's side? Giving my excuses, I went back out to the car (headlights were still on), opened the passenger door and got in, leant over to the driver's door from the inside and briefly opened it slightly, shut it, got out the passenger side again, shut that and walked away. After about 20 feet, the car horn did the familiar sound, the door mirrors retracted and the car was finally locked and switched off.

As an IT guy, I can't help but marvel at the logic flow of the Tesla software in that instance, assuming everyone else had got out but the driver was still in the car and therefore wanted to be entertained and kept warm. And then also wondering why it didn't lock when there was no keycard or phone key anywhere near the car, and thinking to myself that I would add logic to the software that checks if anyone is still in the car by using the seat sensors, despite there being no keycard or phone key present. Maybe that's already there, but there is no seat sensor on the driver's seat? (could be a cost/weight-saving requirement as one would assume there would always be a driver!)

Anyway, now I know. A pretty rare edge case I guess, but gives an insight into the workings of this fine vehicle.

The driver’s seat has a sensor.

After parking in my garage at night and want to turn off the headlights “the harder way,” I open the door then momentarily get off the seat. The lights go off as soon as it detects both those things and in that order.

The easier way is to just tap on the screen to turn off the lights.

If there’s no phone key detected, as soon as the driver leaves, the car shuts off even if any/all other seats are occupied.

Conversely, if the phone key is in the car, it stays on even if (it detects) the driver leaves. I have to do this when I do deliveries on the way to drop off my niece.

I know it doesn’t lock if there’s no one sitting in the car but the phone key is detected inside, but I don’t recall checking specifically if the rest of its systems are still on.

If there’s no phone key detected, as soon as the driver leaves, the car shuts off even if any/all other seats are occupied.

Conversely, if the phone key is in the car, it stays on even if (it detects) the driver leaves. I have to do this when I do deliveries on the way to drop off my niece.
Good to know. I did this the other day when my wife was in the car with me and I got out with my phone in my pocket to run a quick errand. I assumed it would lock / shut down with her in the car as I walked away so I went back and left my phone in the car with her. Does it actually lock, or just shut down in this scenario?