Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking - regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorns video certainly shows it shuffling the regen around to wherever it thinks is best depending on grip. You can see each motors torque with the scanmytesla recording, sometimes its entirely the front motor doing the regen, sometimes the rear, and sometimes a split.
4:53 in particular shows it on snow moving the regen towards the front as there's not enough grip at the rear
Yes, it seems to be working in conjunction with the torque vectoring to keep the car as stable as possible. If all the regen was done on the rear motor it wouldn't be as good in some situations. I did similar testing to Bjorn on a dry airfield and in those conditions it was consistently a 25/75 split. I also tried it on a skid pan but don't have the data to hand for that test. The main thing is that whatever you try and do to the car to unsettle it, 99 times out of 100 it can sort it out for you with a combination of regen and braking.

• Love
Reactions: 98dizzard
Quite surprised at some of the comments on this thread...it took me all of 5 mins of a test drive to get the jist of one pedal driving. So simple

Generally you don’t need to lift completely off the accelerator unless coming to a complete stop. If you’re struggling try practicing ‘pulse and gliding’ by giving it a firm push then gliding by balancing the throttle so nothing is showing on the regen/power bar

Agree there are very subtle nuances to the pedal travel and relationship between green, black/white and dead-centre. You just have to take 5 minutes on a couple of occasions (flat, hilly, busy, empty roads) - to figure out how your foot feels in relation to the display.

Then over time you just feel the position and don’t need to glance to the display as much.

It’s a very competent / efficient system once you have played with it a bit. Then just floor it for sh1ts and giggles.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Moderator comment - post moved from "Regenerative Breaking unavailable"

Hi

when I get into the car it often shoes me a message that the regenerative breaking is temporarily unavailable. My Leaf did that when the battery was nearly full but with the Model 3 I get that when the charge is at 50%. Is that normal?

i find it strange that your driving behaviour (how you break) has to adjust during your drive. I would prefer a consistent behaviour when I take my foot off the pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator comment - post moved from "Regenerative Breaking unavailable"

Hi

when I get into the car it often shoes me a message that the regenerative breaking is temporarily unavailable. My Leaf did that when the battery was nearly full but with the Model 3 I get that when the charge is at 50%. Is that normal?

i find it strange that your driving behaviour (how you break) has to adjust during your drive. I would prefer a consistent behaviour when I take my foot off the pedal.

Low regen is a feature of a cold battery. I find it can take 50 miles to get full regen at this time of year if the car has not been pre-conditioned before departure.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I find it interesting that my i3 didn't have this issue. It was one of the few areas where it was cleverer than the Tesla: if it couldn't do regen (usually because the battery was completely full, rather than cold), it would apply the brakes when you lifted your foot off the accelerator.

It did it pretty seamlessly, too; I was barely aware of it. And it meant you didn't have to change the way you drove based on the temperature: that was a surprise to me when I switched to a M3.

when I get into the car it often shoes me a message that the regenerative breaking is temporarily unavailable.

Noticing the same more and more - presumably as the weather gets colder. On a quick couple of miles run to the shops and back, I have no regen braking at all but on my motorway run it's returned by the time I pull off at the exit 15 miles later.
PS - various cameras don't work though meaning, it would appear, Navigate with Autopilot is pretty much useless at this time of year