Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen single failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With respect to brake pedal vs accel pedal for regen, I noticed on both my Hylander hybrid and Prius that going over even the smallest bumps would engage traction control and disengage regen and in my opinion it was quite the surprise to be stepping on the brake and feel it "release". I have 12k on the S so far and have yet to feel the regen release. That's driving over the same spots that had the effect on the Toyota's. I felt that Toyota's release calibration of regen was overly conservative. I am convinced that the "one foot" technique on the S is much more intuitive in that when your on the accelerator the expectation is "go" not stop, where as when your stepping on the brake pedal and the braking effort is reduced by loss of regen it feels like you have just blown a brake line. (Momentarily anyway).
The beauty of the S is its logs, no brainier, have Em pull it and check the real cause, no sense in supposition when the answer most likely lies in the logs.

Cant wait to hear what you find out.

Dave

That is a common thing in every traction control car I've ever driven. In my Prius, it's momentary (hundreds of milliseconds) but was a bit of a surprise the first time it happened to me. it's particularly annoying when you go over a series of bumps since it feels like the car is out of control. I don't like it but understand why it happens. Still, I think Toyota could have figured out how to make it smoother. Glad to hear Tesla figured it out.

No sense waiting for it to happen again: this is not normal behavior. Call it in.

^^^This. Just my 2 cents. Based on what you've reported, this just doesn't seem correct. I'll bet it's an easy fix. I've driven already in almost all conditions except the worst deep snow. Never had anything close to this happen. I'm familiar with the feeling that's been described in other regen vehicles. Drove the Prius for 6 years and it happened quite often. Never in the MS.
Please report any findings. Very curious.