Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refrigerant low" error code Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2018 X 75D.

After installing mud flaps today I got an error code for low refrigerant and a few other codes (see pic).
Tried hard reset with no luck.

Is this a coincidence or could I pinch some AC line with a screw ? Not sure how is it possible since the screws went into plastic trim.

Thanks in advance!
1000028475.jpg

The first thing you will have to do is replace the damaged hose or pipe. Then you will likely need to replace the desiccant bag and evacuate the system with a vacuum pump before recharging the system.
Yep, I messed up. The AC line runs inside side skirt trim on the floor. That's where I put a screw underneath.
I'll try patching the aluminum line with jb-weld.
I hope it's accessible by removing the side skirt.
1000028915.jpg
1000028916.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
I used JB-WELD to seal a small screw home in the thick pipe and will try to refill with a can of refrigerant tomorrow.
I would guess that might introduce contamination that could cause a premature compressor failure. At a minimum you need to rent a vacuum pump to evacuate the system before trying to fill it. And since the system has been open, and exposed, for days you should replace the desiccant pack as well.

In any case I wouldn't expect that patch to last long, if at all.

Upvote 0
Black is low pressure, brown is high
Depending on equipment u have u use either low side (cans from the store) or both (professional AC machine)
Ports are different size so u won't be able to mess it up
Having refilled AC systems “by hand” I’d spend the money to have a shop pull vacuum, recharge, and add oil all at once. You can do it with gauged and a scale but it’s kinda annoying.

Hopefully that any metal from the puncture were blown out from the pressurized lines. Compressors and valves don’t play well with contaminants and the Tesla compressor is an expensive part!

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
I think by trying to do a do it yourself repair you are going to create a potentially more expensive issue.

An AC system needs to be pristine inside. You have a mixture of refrigerant and oil in the system circulating between the condenser, evaporator, pump, and hoses. To fix it correctly the hole needs to be plugged by welding or the hose replaced (my preferred option). Then the system needs to be cleaned and evacuated to get rid of any contamination (water or air) in the system to a negative pressure. Only then can new refrigerant be added.

IMHO this is type of repair is best left to someone with the correct equipment. Failure to do this correctly could cause costly damage to the HVAC system in the vehicle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a quick update:
I did refill the AC with refrigerant in a can after using JB weld to close a pin hole from the mudflap screw.
The error code disappeared.
I used the AC on hot setting and it works.
I mostly use a ptc heater with the AC off in cold weather.
When weather gets warmer I'm going to stop by a shop to evacuate and refill the system.

Happy holidays everyone!

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0