Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I think we probably have to walk away from the profit margin conspiracy theories. Its just too easy to disprove. FSD is 100% profit margin for them and they do not appear to be giving priority to FSD cars. Also in general, while there are some outliers they don't appear to be giving priority to newer orders over pre-refresh prices. The Plaid has priority over the LR. While I don't like it (and especially to the extent they appear to be taking it... I could see a 3 month difference, but not the 6-9 month difference) I sorta get it. For LR 6 seater has absolute priority because they aren't doing 5 and 7. I don't think that has to do with profit margin as I assume the profit margin on the 7 is better than the 6.

If you want to argue, to me the best argument's are:

1) Tesla knowingly sold cars to people (pre-refresh) which were no longer being manufactured, and a price they knew they wouldn't honor and with a delivery date they knew they could not honor.

2) Tesla "upgraded" a series of 5/7 preorders to 6 seater for an additional cost with a promise of delivery by end of the year, they did not meet this deadline in many cases and no longer appear to be taking this promise seriously, even though they will be taking peoples money

3) Through the X fiasco Tesla has repeatidly provided extremely optomistic to knowingly false delivery estimates to customers, and continue to do so.

4) Tesla has failed to proactively communicate with model X orders, and when the customer contact them little to know information is given.

5) Tesla currently has a large number of people who have been waiting over a year for a car that was promised to them in 2-3 months, and not as a pre-order but as part of a routine production build. In many cases right now the best Tesla is willing to do is "Maybe July". Pre-refresh people were promised to be in a priority queue and get the "first ones out" and clearly this is not the case. Clearly a year (and looking at 18 months) is not acceptable... does Tesla acknowledge this situation and are they doing anything specific to remedy it and when should these people expect their cars?

6) It is not clear Tesla is commited to the 5/7 seater LR configuration short, medium or long term. The expectation of most is they are kicking the can down the road hoping the "3 seat bench fairy" arrives before they burn through a reasonable number of 6 seater backlog, at which point they will force 5/7 seater customers to the 6 seat configuration. Is Tesla committed to full-filling 5/7 seat orders in the short term, and if so when should we expect them. If not, when will Tesla be informing customers they need to switch, and will they raise prices on the 5 seater people to "upgrade" to a configuration many find inferior.

No need for conspiracy theories on profit margin... the above are much more damning. Its not about profit, its about neglect.
Why can’t it be both?

Honestly, I think we probably have to walk away from the profit margin conspiracy theories. Its just too easy to disprove. FSD is 100% profit margin for them and they do not appear to be giving priority to FSD cars. Also in general, while there are some outliers they don't appear to be giving priority to newer orders over pre-refresh prices. The Plaid has priority over the LR. While I don't like it (and especially to the extent they appear to be taking it... I could see a 3 month difference, but not the 6-9 month difference) I sorta get it. For LR 6 seater has absolute priority because they aren't doing 5 and 7. I don't think that has to do with profit margin as I assume the profit margin on the 7 is better than the 6.

If you want to argue, to me the best argument's are:

1) Tesla knowingly sold cars to people (pre-refresh) which were no longer being manufactured, and a price they knew they wouldn't honor and with a delivery date they knew they could not honor.

2) Tesla "upgraded" a series of 5/7 preorders to 6 seater for an additional cost with a promise of delivery by end of the year, they did not meet this deadline in many cases and no longer appear to be taking this promise seriously, even though they will be taking peoples money

3) Through the X fiasco Tesla has repeatidly provided extremely optomistic to knowingly false delivery estimates to customers, and continue to do so.

4) Tesla has failed to proactively communicate with model X orders, and when the customer contact them little to know information is given.

5) Tesla currently has a large number of people who have been waiting over a year for a car that was promised to them in 2-3 months, and not as a pre-order but as part of a routine production build. In many cases right now the best Tesla is willing to do is "Maybe July". Pre-refresh people were promised to be in a priority queue and get the "first ones out" and clearly this is not the case. Clearly a year (and looking at 18 months) is not acceptable... does Tesla acknowledge this situation and are they doing anything specific to remedy it and when should these people expect their cars?

6) It is not clear Tesla is commited to the 5/7 seater LR configuration short, medium or long term. The expectation of most is they are kicking the can down the road hoping the "3 seat bench fairy" arrives before they burn through a reasonable number of 6 seater backlog, at which point they will force 5/7 seater customers to the 6 seat configuration. Is Tesla committed to full-filling 5/7 seat orders in the short term, and if so when should we expect them. If not, when will Tesla be informing customers they need to switch, and will they raise prices on the 5 seater people to "upgrade" to a configuration many find inferior.

No need for conspiracy theories on profit margin... the above are much more damning. Its not about profit, its about neglect.
I think it’s profit margin and all the points you’ve made. But in my particular situation the price of my car is $87,000 before taxes and fees. They’re currently selling the exact same car for $105,000. Every new order for a Plaid six seat configuration is being filled in weeks not years while my order lingers in a backlog. Why would you take limited supplies parts to make the cheap car while you can make a hell of a lot more money on new orders. It’s good customer service to do so…. But then again customer service is not Tesla strong suit.

Seeing many of the veteran posters here become vinners makes me optimistic!!! Who will be next?
Shoot, if I can get a VIN - anyone can!
Some interesting notes.
1 - I sent an email to John the guy who gave me “the call” back in October. I sent an email EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. For the past 2 weeks. (Did it help… who knows.)
2 - I got an unusual call (actually 2 calls and a text) from Tesla Trade In last week. I have never indicated that I want to do a trade in. When I answered the call, I let the guy know that I was “promised” delivery in late nov/dec if I upgraded from 7 to 6 seats and at this point, “with my delivery date at July, it seems a little like fraud.” - Yes I actually said those exact words.
3 - John replied to my email yesterday.
4 - Since I didn’t turn off the daily email send, John responded to my email today saying, “Hey look, your VIN has been assigned.”

I don’t know if this is all coincidence or not, but I just wanted to share the unusual communication with the community.

Now, I just need to figure out how to take delivery before I depart on a vacation. My EDD range is 2/28 - 3/4 and my departure date is 3/5. We don’t have much room for error here.

I think it’s profit margin and all the points you’ve made. But in my particular situation the price of my car is $87,000 before taxes and fees. They’re currently selling the exact same car for $105,000. Every new order for a Plaid six seat configuration is being filled in weeks not years while my order lingers in a backlog. Why would you take limited supplies parts to make the cheap car while you can make a hell of a lot more money on new orders. It’s good customer service to do so…. But then again customer service is not Tesla strong suit.
Plaids have always always gotten faster delivery, same with performance variants. The only time this wasn’t true was last fall when the plaid model X had some sort of delay so they delivered 6 seaters first.

The data (and VINs the past two weeks) don’t backup the idea that tesla is just delivering new expensive orders. We are seeing a ton of January and February and March 2021 6 seaters get VINs this month.

Reactions: BamaATL
If only you could go back and time and take that December 2020 X then trade it in for the refresh one once your order came through.
Wish I knew…
Imagine if you had taken the 2020... drive it all year then ordered a refresh MX Plaid Jan with a March delivery &sold the 2020 for $150K+ and made out like a bandit!
that would have been perfect

Still sitting here with a July EDD while watching my fellow January 2021 people getting their VINs, but wondering, whenever that date comes, is there anyone near Devon, PA that would be willing to come out and go over the checklist with me? I’m a lady, and I love cars, but I’ve been treated like a dumb woman by car people in the past multiple times. Nervous with hearing how often the phrase “within spec” is used.

Dropping off one of our Model 3s at the Austin SC and looks like two lucky people are getting their refreshed MX. One is a black LR and the other is a MSM but can’t tell trim because it’s inside the delivery prep area (employees only). View attachment 773694View attachment 773695
Neither one have the new headlights. I'd take the mf anyways.

Still sitting here with a July EDD while watching my fellow January 2021 people getting their VINs, but wondering, whenever that date comes, is there anyone near Devon, PA that would be willing to come out and go over the checklist with me? I’m a lady, and I love cars, but I’ve been treated like a dumb woman by car people in the past multiple times. Nervous with hearing how often the phrase “within spec” is used.
Take delivery in Houston and I’ll be your huckleberry. PA is kind of a far drive for me.