Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S/X yoke controls owners survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you even imagine an alternate universe where they released this with a normal wheel and people were posting surveys asking if owners would have preferred a yoke control that you had to "get used to" at all

You shouldn't have to get used to it. It's a steering wheel. The only reason to "get used to" a change like this would be if it had benefits over the status quo

For me the single worst part about the yoke is that it forces me to let go of the yoke when FSD is making turns, otherwise I end up disengaging. Yet that is perhaps the most important time to be in control, since it often messes up the turn. Then I try grab the weird rectangle thing that is not even centered and jiggling from side to side like a maniac. In my 2018 with a round wheel it is so much easier just to let the steering slide under my fingers and grab if needed. Way more relaxing!

Looks like the horrid buttons are here to stay, however a round wheel is a possibility. Anyone know the part number for Semi steering wheel :)

1661812361095.png

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Tesla ”fixed” a problem that didn’t exist for me. I had no trouble seeing the instrument cluster with the round wheel, and could see more of the touch screen without moving my head, which gets to the fundamental issue of the compelling reason for the horizontal vice vertical screen, which I won’t address here. The turn signal activation is different, but OK when only making one turn, but when having to make a quick switchback turn, activating the signals with the yoke turning requires eyes off the road or just not signaling. After 60+ years of using a turn signal stalk, I deem it superior. When rolling out of a turn it’s too easy to let go of the yoke, instead of controlling the rate as the top of the steeling wheel glides through one’s hand. I’ve needed the horn 3 times for a quick warning, my automatic response was to hit the center of the yoke (decades old reflex), and not cover the right half of the yoke or use the button my thumb doesn’t reach without significant hand movement. To break the habit I can practice lots of times on back roads where I disturb less people. The scroll wheels don’t have the vertical bump tall enough, which would make it easier to make a left/right selection. A/P selections are as easy using a stalk. I do find the flat bottom of the yoke more comfortable for resting my hand, than a traditional wheel, where my 4 fingers don’t fit typically. After 17 months of using the yoke, I’ve almost adapted, but prefer the steering wheel.

A number of weeks back the thumb tendon of my left hand started to hurt (unrelated to yoke, I think?). Then somehow I managed to really hurt it about 2 weeks back, after bumping it, so much that I could not move my thumb. This is when I started to hate the buttons more than ever. To indicate I needed to press the buttons with my finger, which was really awkward, since turning my wrist in that manner also hurt the tendon. I then switched to the 2018 S. So much better! I can indicate just by lifting or dropping my finger, or my whole arm. Makes me wonder how the yoke + buttons passed ADA requirements (are there any??). How do people without a left thumb indicate? FYI - At least two of my relatives are missing a thumb (don't ask ;-)).

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I picked up a 23 MSLR today.

I like the yoke so far.

I find that it’s intuitive and easy to navigate with.

It’s easier to keep AP from nagging compared to a wheel (always having to convince my other Teslas that yes, my hands ARE on the wheel!).

Turn signals are easy enough.

Screw the horn. That’s stupid.

I also found AP engagement to be counter intuitive. I kept trying to push the illuminated icon and not the wheel button. All of the other illuminated icons are capacitive - but not this one. I thought it was broke until I dove into the manual.

I also found AP engagement to be counter intuitive. I kept trying to push the illuminated icon and not the wheel button. All of the other illuminated icons are capacitive - but not this one. I thought it was broke until I dove into the manual.
I find the AP engagement to be a pain using the wheel. I.e. single tap for TACC and double tap for AP. So much so that I changed it to be single tap to engage AP, however there are times I just want TACC, but can't get it now :-(

Reactions: MikeKFE
I never use TACC TBH so I don’t mind it. But I can see it being annoying if you do.
There are certain roads where AP and FSD mess up lane selection, e.g. lane split, extra wide lanes, etc. In my 2018 I just turn the steering wheel to turn where I want, and the TACC stays engaged, I then re-activate AP after the lane correction. However with the setting for single tap AP on MSLR turning the wheel disengages everything!

Reactions: MikeKFE
There are certain roads where AP and FSD mess up lane selection, e.g. lane split, extra wide lanes, etc. In my 2018 I just turn the steering wheel to turn where I want, and the TACC stays engaged, I then re-activate AP after the lane correction. However with the setting for single tap AP on MSLR turning the wheel disengages everything!
On a related note, FSD disengagement on turns with yoke is higher, because trying the control the yoke during an FSD turn is near impossible. I normally just let it go, however sometimes it gets way to close to other cars for comfort, so I try hold it without disengaging, and fail. Never have this issue with round wheel on 2018, just let it slip under my fingers and grip if needed.

On a related note, FSD disengagement on turns with yoke is higher, because trying the control the yoke during an FSD turn is near impossible. I normally just let it go, however sometimes it gets way to close to other cars for comfort, so I try hold it without disengaging, and fail. Never have this issue with round wheel on 2018, just let it slip under my fingers and grip if needed.
We have FSD on our pre refresh 2021 X. No chance I’m paying for that on the new S. Total waste for what we’ve gotten out of it.

• Funny
Reactions: Mark II
We have FSD on our pre refresh 2021 X. No chance I’m paying for that on the new S. Total waste for what we’ve gotten out of it.
Lol, the main reason I got a Tesla in the first place is because I was intrigued by FSD. Now that I have driven one for 4 years I could never go back to an ICE car. I agree FSD has not lived up to the hype. I also predict other car makers will catch up with Tesla as far as FSD goes, and surpass it. There was a post a while back about how Tesla auto-park compares to other cars. Tesla fails miserably. They should have nailed it by now.

My 2022 is a lease, mainly because I was skeptical about the yoke. When it expires in ~2 years I will be taking a hard look at other EVs, especially if the yoke and buttons continue to be the only option for MS. With superchargers opening to other EVs, and FSD continuing to disappoint, I don't see a compelling reason to stick with Tesla. Other EVs are advancing faster than Tesla right now, and may overtake in terms of price, functionality, comfort, range, etc.

Lol, the main reason I got a Tesla in the first place is because I was intrigued by FSD. Now that I have driven one for 4 years I could never go back to an ICE car. I agree FSD has not lived up to the hype. I also predict other car makers will catch up with Tesla as far as FSD goes, and surpass it. There was a post a while back about how Tesla auto-park compares to other cars. Tesla fails miserably. They should have nailed it by now.

My 2022 is a lease, mainly because I was skeptical about the yoke. When it expires in ~2 years I will be taking a hard look at other EVs, especially if the yoke and buttons continue to be the only option for MS. With superchargers opening to other EVs, and FSD continuing to disappoint, I don't see a compelling reason to stick with Tesla. Other EVs are advancing faster than Tesla right now, and may overtake in terms of price, functionality, comfort, range, etc.
FWIW, we test drove a BMW iX 2 weeks ago because my wife was thinking about upgrading our X.

It was a MASSIVE disappointment. Felt junky. Very plasticy. 1822 buttons and that stupid iDrive dial.

I find the AP engagement to be a pain using the wheel. I.e. single tap for TACC and double tap for AP. So much so that I changed it to be single tap to engage AP, however there are times I just want TACC, but can't get it now :-(
When my AP disengages because I take over the steering, TACC stays on until I brake. If you set single tap for AP and only want TACC, can't you disengage via the yoke and then be in TACC mode?

I picked up a 23 MSLR today.

I like the yoke so far.

I find that it’s intuitive and easy to navigate with.

It’s easier to keep AP from nagging compared to a wheel (always having to convince my other Teslas that yes, my hands ARE on the wheel!).

Turn signals are easy enough.

Screw the horn. That’s stupid.

I’m guessing (betting) in testing Tesla was nervous about customers activating AP/FSD by mistake, so relegated the function to clicking the wheel. It’s clear Tesla’s software was half baked at car release given the haptic buttons on the S used to respond like an iPhone screen, but that was changed in a software update to remove the light-touch ability and to introduce auto signaling off using the cameras etc.

Other EVs are advancing faster than Tesla right now, and may overtake
That's a statement that applies to everything in the market place. There will always be a number one and those chasing number one. Every day the race continues ... something new is just around the corner. It's like a PC or phone, it's old as soon as you buy it. Consumers support this because we want the latest and greatest. There are more than one thread about delaying purchases to get the new headlights, taillights and even new hinges. ♥️

Lots of complaints about the horn button. A lot of cars over the years have had "horn buttons". A few years of Honda NSX and S2000's among others. Heaven help you if you ride a motorcycle. I owned one car where the horn button was on the dash. Of course I'm a really really old guy. 🤣

Some Fords in the 90s had the horn on the turn indicator stalk, others had horn rings. Some GMC and AMC cars had an option to have horn built into the ring of the wheel for a quick squeeze to honk.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056