Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reel doesn’t always work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a retractable outdoor electrical cord with 4 outlets on a reel. When I first bought it, I was working out of town and this setup worked nicely.

Since then, I’ve tried two different locations and although the reel showed it had power, my Tesla says there is no power. I immediately switched to my basic yellow extension cord and the car started charging and showed I was pulling 9/12A at 109V, for 5km/h.

Any idea why my reel doesn’t work at some locations?

Mariano

Does the reel show power by way of a light at the end? If so, it may have a voltage connection but the outlet(s) do not. If you have a basic outlet tester like this:

it can show you any problems that might have occurred. Also, does your reel extension work at all at any place?

Last edited:
Does the reel show power by way of a light at the end? If so, it may have a voltage connection but the outlet(s) do not. If you have a basic outlet tester like this:

it can show you any problems that might have occurred. Also, does your reel extension work at all at any place?

I took a closer look and the thermal safety switch had been tripped after my buddy used my reel to charge his plug-in hybrid.

I reset it and the reel worked. In fact, I was out of town last week and I used my reel to charge my car around the clock for 3 days and there was no issue.

Very strange.

Mariano