Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC2 with 2023 Model 3 flaky charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the UMC2 from of our totaled 018 Model 3 to charge our new 2023 Model 3 acts very different. I charged the 2018 Model 3 at least 20 times on the same 120V outlet and it always charged at 12A do not recall the voltage. Using the exact same charging setup with the 2023 Model 3 it immediately drops to 8 or 9 amps with a voltage of around 109V; likewise, stops charging at random intervals instead of charging for more than a day like it did with the 2018 I get a message on the center screen that the car detected to much voltage drop and to check the wiring. It appears the new car is more conservative when it comes to safety, anyone else notice this?

I charged on many subpar 120V outlets over the almost five years of ownership and sometimes using a 100ft 12G extension cord and never remember the charging sessions stopping. It would drop the current level but not stop charging. i will be performing more tests but it appears something is definitely different on the car side.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention my Tesla Wall Connector charges the car with no errors at 240V 32A.
Thanks for the reply. More conservative would have been a better word. Something could have changed on this particular outlet but it has never stopped charging during a charging session on any outlet over the past three years on our 2018; however, It would ramp down the current. The UMC2 is also five years old, could be that as well.