Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports FPX Coilovers for Model 3 & Y - RE-STOCKED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RedwoodMotors

Global Vendor
May 27, 2019
Fremont, CA

Update June 17, 2023 -​

We have a HUGE RE-STOCK of our best selling Redwood Motorsports coil over kits. See post #39 for full details below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Motorsports is proud to introduce our new line of FPX Coilover Suspension for the Model 3 & Model Y!

An affordable option for those looking to maximize performance, ride quality, and price. Building on the success of our FP-Spec based suspension line, we produced this custom suspension system from the ground up, with the intention of bringing race-inspired engineering to the broader consumer market, utilizing our collective years of engineering expertise in suspension design and manufacturing.

One of the goals for this custom shock architecture was creating an internal cartridge design that allowed us the flexibility to maximize comfort for Grand Touring applications, as well as the range to valve for performance applications. In this design process for our Grand Touring variants, we derived a proprietary valving philosophy which we call “Cloud-Spec”. We have benchmarked our custom valving against all leading “comfort” coilovers, and have surpassed every one by a significant margin in terms of ride quality and plushness. For performance applications we have been equally as impressed with the results on track, as well as street use cases. We have dedicated valving curves for each spring rate and use case - similar to our FP-Spec line of shocks. Every set of shocks are valved - to order - in our in house valving lab (Fremont, California), across the street from the Tesla Factory!

Designing a shock dedicated for either street or performance use is relatively simple. However, from an engineering perspective, creating a single damper that is effective in both arenas is significantly more challenging. For the end-user, the result is a suspension that provides maximum grip in the corners, yet a firm-but-supple ride quality on the street.

Those who have driven this setup have commented that the Redwood Motorsports Performance Sport kit is surprisingly more comfortable than stock, yet offers a fantastic amount of grip and compliance on and off track. Our GT customers have noted that this is *the most* comfortable suspension they have ridden on in any Tesla Model 3 or Y, hands down.

You may notice that many components are shared between our FP-Spec line of products. This is not a coincidence. The years of R&D that went into our FP-Spec Long-Stroke suspension kits was used as a starting point for our FPX line. Utilizing many of those same components our new FPX suspension line offers amazing performance, and ride quality, at a competitive price point.

Hardware includes a steel monotube shock body which allows us to reduce cost. We spec a industry-leading Nickel-chromium plating that is extremely durable in harsh environments. Matching gray 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum (mil-spec anodized in hard gray), and signature FPX Red springs (Swift Springs optional) compliment the entire shock package. High quality seals, shims, and pistons used throughout, as well as Amsoil shock oil, in conjunction with our proprietary custom valving.

We have built our FPX kits to utilize our Long-Stroke designs as standard, giving our FPX line of shocks an amazing advantage at a fantastic value.

WARRANTY - 2 years unlimited miles. Rebuilds can be performed in house if needed in the future.

Features:
  • 6061 Aluminum Hard Anodized Upper and Lower Mounts - Same as used in our FP Spec kits!
  • 6061 Aluminum Hard Anodized Spring Perches, Lock Rings, and Adapters
  • “CloudSpec” or “Performance” Valving Curves - Hand valved and dynoed in Fremont, CA
  • Signature FPX Red Springs - Swift Springs optional
  • Dual Digressive Valving
  • Custom Designed 7075 Aluminum Pistons
  • Optimized Valving Ports - Radialized Ports Reduce Fluid Capitation at high speed
  • Single Dual Adjustable Compression/Rebound Adjustment 24 Settings
  • Amsoil High Temp Shock Oil
**INTERNATIONAL ORDERS**
Please contact us for shipping quotation with your full address to [email protected]

Please allow 2-3 weeks for new orders.
For a limited time, Swift Springs will be included FREE of charge for initial release!

Check out the product page here!

https://redwoodmotorsports.com/collections/model-3/products/model-3-fpx-coilovers-engineered-by-redwood-motorsports-%E2%84%A2

RWFRX01_1.jpgfpx4.jpgModel3FPXRemoteAdjusters2.jpgIMG_3043.jpgUntitleddesign.png

Attachments

• fpx2.jpg
    fpx2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 843
  • Model3FPXRemoteAdjusters.jpg
    Model3FPXRemoteAdjusters.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 811
  • Untitleddesign2.png
    Untitleddesign2.png
    311.9 KB · Views: 790
  • Untitleddesign4.png
    Untitleddesign4.png
    386.2 KB · Views: 797
  • Untitleddesign3.png
    Untitleddesign3.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
I had an unexpected opportunity to ride in an early version of the FPX GT coilovers, over a bumpy couple blocks that I know well. I was told the dampers were set close to full soft. The Model 3 in question was on stock 18" aero wheels, I didn't check tire size but I assume either 235/45 or 245/45.

The FPX GT ride was butter smooth. Much smoother than stock. Smoother than our air suspension Model S. It really showed the comfortable tuning. As a passenger it still felt dampened properly, from a pure ride perspective. We went over speed bumps and weird shapes dips and other typical bad road stuff. At the very soft setting it didn't feel sporty, but it sure rode well. I'm told firmer settings bring out the sportiness much more. (Talking GT kit. I didn't experience FPX Performance Sport.)

For background my wife and I have an M3P with Redwood Performance Sport Öhlins DFV, and a Model S P85 on its original air suspension (with ~ 150k miles on it...), both on 245/45 tires currently.

I haven't experienced the Redwood GT Öhlins DFV, but here's my understanding of what's similar and what's different.

First, I was told these things are all similar or the same:
  • spring rates
  • overall valving profile
  • all the Redwood custom hardware built around the damper - these are the same parts my Performance Sport Öhlins DFV is built around and it is absolute top notch stuff. I mean look at those forks...
  • Very easy, fast damper adjustment front and back. No tools or lifting the car. Inverted rear dampers for easy access to their adjuster, as long as you have mobility to lie down next to the car.
What's different is of course the damper itself. It's a good quality damper, but it's not Öhlins. By using the same spring rates and valving profile as the Öhlins DFV GT kit the basic ride quality is very similar. And this damper is adjustable too so you can firm it up for sharper handling when you want.

However, as I understand it, this damper isn't capable of achieving the same ride/handling balance or the same level of cat-like absorbtion and reflexes when hitting rough stuff hard and fast as the Öhlins DFV. I don't think any cheaper damper is... that's why Öhlins cost what they do. (Well that and the Swedish gold bling 😉.) As you firm up this one it will trade off ride quality more than the Öhlins version. And it won't have quite the same level of reflexes in how it handles fast driving over large bumps/irregularities. The way Öhlins takes those in and keeps the car supremely settled, without feeling the slightest bit thrown off, is unparalleled in my experience. (This is true for my Redwood Performance Sport Öhlins DFV, and the Polestar 2 Performance with OEM Öhlins DFV that I test drove twice, which inspired me to get the Redwood Öhlins for our M3P.)

So which to get? Well if you want the best ride/handling balance you can buy, I think that will be the Öhlins versions (FP-Spec). These FPX versions will still be a serious upgrade in both regards over stock Model 3 suspension though. If you're not wanting to spend as much then pick whether you're focused more on ride upgrade (go GT) or handling upgrade (go Performance Sport) and get FPX.

There is also the Öhlins R&T kit to consider. I've been told by many who have it the R&T for Model 3 is very firm though, in both damping (especially compression) and spring rates. If you're concerned about ride quality then any of these Redwood kits, even in Performance Sport trim, will be a better choice.

Just my 2c / thought process. There weren't so many coilovers out for this car when I was shopping! It's nice to have a plethora of good options but does make choosing more difficult. If I lived in/near MD I'd gladly give you a test drive in my car. "A test drive is worth a thousand words" is how the saying goes right? 🙂 I'll probably be visiting MD soon but most likely without a car.

Also between Performance Sport vs GT I think if you're a more sedate and sane driver, or you only rarely get a chance to really drive your car hard and fast, then GT kit will probably be more to your liking. You'll get that real nice ride, and can crank up the dampers for way better than stock handling at the same time when opportunity allows.

However if you get to shred up fun twisty roads regularly, or do track days or autocross or such, Performance Sport is completely worth it and it's totally daily driver friendly.

Also if you want your Model 3 to really feel like a proper sports sedan, firm and sporty but not excessive (not trying to be a racecar), Performance Sport is what you want, with the dampers set in the firmer half of the adjustment range.

I'm solidly in the "I want a sports sedan" category, very glad I went Performance Sport, but it's all personal preference. As a reference point halfway stiff on the Performance Sport Öhlins dampers (16 of 32 clicks) has been a goldilocks setting for me and my wife. She has spoken very highly of its ride and handling in that setting when taking it for long drives including twisty back roads. When driving lots in the city on those settings she once complained it felt not all that different from stock 😅 (in that situation - slow casual urban driving). Which is true and kind of the point. If most of your driving is like that probably GT makes more sense.

On my own I sometimes go firmer, e.g. 11 of 32 clicks. My wife doesn't like that setting but that's okay, adjusting takes 1-2 mins and the 16 clicks setting she seems to like is nice too.

How do these compare to the Redwood Ohlins kits?
So if we're talking about comfort, the Redwood Motorsports Ohlins DFV (Grand Touring version) are the ultimate kits that offer comfort. The FPX (Grand Touring version) will offer very similar results for comfort but for a much cheaper cost. The unfortunate thing with the Redwood Motorsports Ohlins kits is that they are out of stock and backordered till April, whereas the FPX kit is only a 3 week wait.

So if we're talking about comfort, the Redwood Motorsports Ohlins DFV (Grand Touring version) are the ultimate kits that offer comfort. The FPX (Grand Touring version) will offer very similar results for comfort but for a much cheaper cost. The unfortunate thing with the Redwood Motorsports Ohlins kits is that they are out of stock and backordered till April, whereas the FPX kit is only a 3 week wait.
Is there any differences in road noise in the cabin? I have the model Y LR.

Good to see more options at this price point. Besides the backorder element. Can you explain what was the thought process behind introducing another range set of coilovers into the market? Was it the reduced price point due to non-Ohlins parts? What am I giving up between the two for that reduction in cost? Reliability? Prestige? Quality? A softer damper curve? Spring rates?

Looking for Grand Touring at my wifes car and but maybe I am more confused. I see the MPP business model with the non-adjustable vs adjustables price points. Help me see the difference between the FPX line and the DFV line. Is this the “Comfort” line vs the “Sports” line?

Last edited:
Is there any differences in road noise in the cabin? I have the model Y LR.
Hey James, there is no differences in road noise inside the cabin, possibily a bit lower but suspension really affects the feel of the car more so than trying to reduce cabin noise. That said, there may be a slight improvement but I don't want to tell you that it is a silver bullet that will reduce noises. On the comfort front, we are confident that the GT kit with cloud spec valving is the most comfortable kit out there.

On the comfort front, we are confident that the GT kit with cloud spec valving is the most comfortable kit out there.
You mean besides the DFV comfort kit you sell?, can you talk about how close this new FTX cloud spec kit gets to the DFV comfort kit, have you changed out any stock model Y dampers lately? the newer ones being labeled as the comfort suspension, how would either of these kits (the FTX cloud spec or the Ohlins GT) compare for comfort and handling from stock, finally and I know this is a lot of questions but how much extra travel can I get over the stock suspension? not interested in lowering at all just looking for the most suspension travel set up and most comfortable while still hoping to improve handling, thanks.

Last edited:
You mean besides the DFV comfort kit you sell?, can you talk about how close this new FTX cloud spec kit gets to the DFV comfort kit, have you changed out any stock model Y dampers lately? the newer ones being labeled as the comfort suspension, how would either of these kits (the FTX cloud spec or the Ohlins GT) compare for comfort and handling from stock, finally and I know this is a lot of questions but how much extra travel can I get over the stock suspension? not interested in lowering at all just looking for the most suspension travel set up and most comfortable while still hoping to improve handling, thanks.
If you are still undecided by early/mid-April I am awaiting delivery of the Redwood Ohlins GT kit. Be happy to give you a ride as I am in Orange County but don't blame me for the financials if you decide to proceed with your own purchase.

The bar is set very high for the GT kit as I am moving off of Universal Air Suspension (Air Ride) which rides absurdly comfortable.

If you are still undecided by early/mid-April I am awaiting delivery of the Redwood Ohlins GT kit. Be happy to give you a ride as I am in Orange County but don't blame me for the financials if you decide to proceed with your own purchase.

The bar is set very high for the GT kit as I am moving off of Universal Air Suspension (Air Ride) which rides absurdly comfortable.
The air ride is not great for handling I'm guessing?

The air ride is not great for handling I'm guessing?
Actually on the contrary it handles very well and accomplishes both spirited, daily days and even long 4 hour drives.

As this progresses towards my partners daily driver they don’t want to mess with it.

I’d compare it to a BMW 5 series comfort when setting to 8 clicks from softest, any softer the car gets too numb. Crank it down to 5 clicks from stiff and it handles extremely well but hurts the spine.

On a side note I am selling the air ride for both 3/Y. Otherwise I’ll throw it on the future Y.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GreenCoffee
The Ohlin's I had on a BMW in the past really could stiffen up a lot for the track. More than other coiovers I have had before. Really a big range. My complaint was on my BMW, I wanted to dial the compression dampening down for daily but wanted more rebound dampening and the Ohlin's DFV can only adjust both together. While they were good, I not sure they were worth the costs to me. I'm considering these but ideally would like a set I could adjust compression and rebound separately.

The Ohlin's I had on a BMW in the past really could stiffen up a lot for the track. More than other coiovers I have had before. Really a big range. My complaint was on my BMW, I wanted to dial the compression dampening down for daily but wanted more rebound dampening and the Ohlin's DFV can only adjust both together. While they were good, I not sure they were worth the costs to me. I'm considering these but ideally would like a set I could adjust compression and rebound separately.
I agree there. I had the opportunity to drive the new polestar 2 with the Öhlins set to comfort and I will admit it rode pretty stiff for a Volvo (assuming there is still any ties with each other) felt similar to the M340i BMW I almost cross shopped back then before my M3P.

I look forward to how Redwoods GT is retuned for comfort. I’ve tried MPP Comforts and they were a great medium of performance / comfort. Maybe MPP Comfort Adjustable is within your scope?

did you get your Ohlins GT kit installed?