Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you qualify for the full tax credit, the true winners of the Tesla lottery are those who purchased a red Model 3 before the paint price increased from $1k to $2.5k and didn’t buy EAP. This group will be ahead of those who buy a new Model 3 post Feb 28 price drop of the same configuration w/ AP & FSD.
I'm one of those lottery winners it seems. \o/
Despite being happy at my own circumstance, I do agree that those who bought FSD ahead of time, especially under the guise of saving money vs buying it later, have really been misled by Tesla. I hope Tesla does something for you guys beyond this beta testing nonsense.

Reactions: C141medic
This would be great for me if accurate. 2019 and delivery, EAP added prior to end of Feb. Free FSD

If I confirmed my order Jan 15/19 and took delivery Feb 15/19 and didn't order EAP, I now get basic AP for free???

I realize it's nothing official, but that flow chart would indicate 3s delivered in 2019 before price changes get AP for free. Where is this info coming from?

Got my car M3 AWD a week before the price change, running a trial of auto pilot but no EAP or FSD purchased with car. Where does it say officially I qualify for the basic AP for free? Why is this chart believed to be true?

Folks that already paid $5k for Enhanced AP on their Model 3s NEED FSD added just like the folks who bought Model 3s on the SAME DAY in 2018 that can buy AP/FSD today for $5k. Its the right thing to do, plain and simple.

Please call, e-mail and tweet Tesla. They will listen, they always do when they hear from enough of us.

Reactions: MattUNI
Folks that already paid $5k for Enhanced AP on their Model 3s NEED FSD added just like the folks who bought Model 3s on the SAME DAY in 2018 that can buy AP/FSD today for $5k. Its the right thing to do, plain and simple.

Please call, e-mail and tweet Tesla. They will listen, they always do when they hear from enough of us.

If that is done, what should people who spent $8K for EAP+FSD in 2018 receive? A $3K refund?

Also, if every single person who ever purchased EAP gets FSD for free, that means Tesla will be installing HW3 computers for every one of those customers. The equipment and labor costs would go through the roof.

I'm not saying things are fair... but a solution that doesn't involve massive cash outlays and service center hours from Tesla would probably be ideal.

Last edited:
I cannot find anywhere, either on my app or in my Tesla online page where to purchase the EAP. Where is it? Or do I just wait a month?

EAP is no longer available. The feature set of EAP has now been split between AP and FSD. You'll need to wait a little bit while Tesla updates their site to reflect all of these changes before you can pull the trigger and purchase one (or both) of them.

For people who bought EAP earlier and think they should pay nothing for FSD, did you not get value in having the EAP for the last xxx months?

I got minimal use out of EAP. Except for one road trip EAP was more of a hassle than just driving on my own due to very limited location where I could use it - I was using it just to help train the autopilot. (i.e. guaranteed 3 times where I have to take over the autopilot during 15 min drive plus sometimes during lane changes). Definitely not worth the difference but I could deal with that as with all the sharp price drops. I have not got any value out of FSD though - it has not even been delivered to me and the price change isn't going to benefit me even though the product is still not delivered. As far as I see it they wanted to appease the majority of the crowd for the price drops while at the same time getting more cash in. But they have handled it very badly - the negative impression from screwing the most supporting customers far outweighs the good (spoonful of tar in a barrel of honey).

They could have done it much better. The worst part is that other EAP for the FSD crowd - that is just an insult on top of them paying the most. Even if they do not want to do any refunds (M3P anyone?) they could have added something that benefits the customer more than themselves - the old trick with free supercharging and/or free cellular for the life of the car, for example... Stuff from the referral program... Credit toward purchases/upgrades... Extra warranty... I'm sure there're many more ways to make majority satisfied...

Ask the question another way: If you bought your car in say October 2018, and your choice was buy EAP and FSD now for 7k or wait until March 2019 and save 2k and get it for 5k, how many of you would have passed up the opportunity to shell out 2k more to enjoy it for 6 months?

If that is the only difference than that's easy - I would have waited.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
You know, I keep reading all these "Tesla ripped me off, yada, yada, yada" posts and I'm really trying hard to resist the "entitlement" argument. You saw the price AT THE TIME and you paid it. But, now you, think you're entitled to a refund or some special treatment? I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy something for X price, I'm not going to bitch about it later if it's cheaper. Anyone that's actually been in any kind of trading situation should know, the price is the price. That's not the price tomorrow or yesterday, that's the price you AGREED TO when you bought. Grow up!

I agreed to pay the price Tesla was asking for on EAP/FSD..... Tesla agreed (in writing which still is listed on their website - $7,000 upgrade if added after delivery) that if I bought it now, it would be less than if I bought it later...

It is later and and now it is less than I bought if for...

Guess Tesla didn't hold up to their agreement.

No?

If Tesla had re-worded it to "buy now because the price could be more later", then I would have no issue with the price change...

I am not looking for a refund..... But, as a loyal Tesla customer, I want to be treated as allot of other new Tesla owners (who have been given refunds due to price changes or have been given upgrades).

Free SC / Extended warranty / Early Access.... Something that doesn't hit the company hard now... Something that can be absorbed over a period of time...

Last edited:
July 2018 delivery here with $5k EAP, just chiming in. I'm pretty bitter about the situation as well, and am a TSLA holder and was planning on purchasing a Model Y for my mother.

Sad to say, but I don't think I'll be purchasing another Tesla purely because of this situation, at least not new. Not trying to get anyone to agree with me or trying to convince others to see it my way, just speaking out to show up as a metric. I'm still a Tesla believer, but I don't like money getting taken out of my pocket especially when I'm rooting for that same company.

I'll wait it out and snag a good deal on the secondary market. Never again.

July 2018 delivery here with $5k EAP, just chiming in. I'm pretty bitter about the situation as well, and am a TSLA holder and was planning on purchasing a Model Y for my mother.

Sad to say, but I don't think I'll be purchasing another Tesla purely because of this situation, at least not new. Not trying to get anyone to agree with me or trying to convince others to see it my way, just speaking out to show up as a metric. I'm still a Tesla believer, but I don't like money getting taken out of my pocket especially when I'm rooting for that same company.

I'll wait it out and snag a good deal on the secondary market. Never again.

I completely agree with your statement 100%. (And with a June 2018 EAP delivery am in the same boat). Shareholder and waiting to buy model Y to replace our other vehicle. Not a chance I'd place a first day order on a Model Y now. And like you, I'm not trying to convince others to feel the same way. If you're happy with the situation I'm happy for you.

I did send Tesla a message today stating this same opinion and asked for a follow up. We'll see if they reply.

So, I bought my car in 11/18 with no EAP. The just-announced $2000 Autopilot upgrade seems very reasonably priced and I don't think I'll miss the features that were once on EAP.

My plan is to go for it once it's available next month (my account still has the price at $4,000). Moreover, while I had never planned on getting FSD, now it seems to be reasonably priced and intriguing (not for the former EAP features but because of the hardware upgrade unlocking lots of future possibilities I would otherwise miss). If it's still $3,000 for FSD in 6 months, I'll probably go for that too. Anyone else similarly situated/thinking about it this way?

If you want to take a lesson from this - do not buy FSD until you are happy with what you get for that price at the time of purchase. If you rely on promised future you seemingly will only screw yourself :(

Sorry if this is answered in the previous 20 pages of this thread, but mine still says $3,000. Am I supposed to pay that and wait for the $1k refund, or is that supposed to change to $2k eventually?

I bought first production long range RWD, took delivery in March 2018, VIN in the 7,000 range if that matters.

I completely agree with your statement 100%. (And with a June 2018 EAP delivery am in the same boat). Shareholder and waiting to buy model Y to replace our other vehicle. Not a chance I'd place a first day order on a Model Y now. And like you, I'm not trying to convince others to feel the same way. If you're happy with the situation I'm happy for you.

I did send Tesla a message today stating this same opinion and asked for a follow up. We'll see if they reply.

I didn't want to add to the inundation that is the customer service debacle right now, but that's a good idea. My voice needs to be heard, even if it falls on deaf ears.

Sorry if this is answered in the previous 20 pages of this thread, but mine still says $3,000. Am I supposed to pay that and wait for the $1k refund, or is that supposed to change to $2k eventually?

I bought first production long range RWD, took delivery in March 2018, VIN in the 7,000 range if that matters.

It has been suggested to wait until next month if you don't want to worry about a refund. The pricing updates should be reflected by then.