Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone wrote back in March whether any of this will matter to anyone in 3 years? I will never get over paying $11k more for AWD LR than buying it now, and now you get EAP free and FSD for $5k more which equals the sale back in early March. It is not my style to forget that I bought early, paid more, than the late comers. Yes you could discount my $11k by the extra $3,500 in tax credit I got, but then there is the extra $3k that I would have to pay for EAP, so as to earn the privilege to pay another $5,500 for FSD. So I'll just keep the loss at $11k. That, as a consumer you don't forget. That mishandling of your most loyal of consumer base cannot be a good thing and will always be under the surface in forums such as this, in reviews present and future. Unfortunately it will forever stain, that's just the way it works. Hey, I don't make the rules, and don't see a need to cut anyone any slack. I contributed to this company's success with my purchase and now I am being told that $11k was a pure donation. I don't make such donations. I am not from that tax bracket. I'm still paying interest on my donation, my loan ends in 2024. That being said, I might have to sell something and buy another with FSD so I can try to make $$ as a taxi and recoup some of the loss.

I’m with you bro. I feel the same way. Same situation.

Reactions: Legen---dary
Someone wrote back in March whether any of this will matter to anyone in 3 years? I will never get over paying $11k more for AWD LR than buying it now, and now you get EAP free and FSD for $5k more which equals the sale back in early March. It is not my style to forget that I bought early, paid more, than the late comers. Yes you could discount my $11k by the extra $3,500 in tax credit I got, but then there is the extra $3k that I would have to pay for EAP, so as to earn the privilege to pay another $5,500 for FSD. So I'll just keep the loss at $11k. That, as a consumer you don't forget. That mishandling of your most loyal of consumer base cannot be a good thing and will always be under the surface in forums such as this, in reviews present and future. Unfortunately it will forever stain, that's just the way it works. Hey, I don't make the rules, and don't see a need to cut anyone any slack. I contributed to this company's success with my purchase and now I am being told that $11k was a pure donation. I don't make such donations. I am not from that tax bracket. I'm still paying interest on my donation, my loan ends in 2024. That being said, I might have to sell something and buy another with FSD so I can try to make $$ as a taxi and recoup some of the loss.

I can’t disagree. While I love my car and I am happy I have had the extra time with it I must admit I feel a little burned as well and my difference wasn’t even near 11k. I think what really disappointed me after all this is seeing SR orders being fulfilled with SR+ 3s. I realistically don’t need a longer range vehicle at this stage in my life and I would have been fine with an SR in terms of range BUT I purchased early due to them taking advantage of the feared loss of the full tax credit. I also was under the belief that the SR model wouldn’t have any of the luxuries of the other vehicles in the line up so I figured I would dive in, welp I couldn’t have been more wrong across the board. Now with this standard Autopilot BS I have just given up on comparing my purchase to now; a month from now I’m sure everything will be different again.

I think you made a miscalculation. I purchased a LR AWD in September '18, and then AP in the March sale, and the difference in price today is only $4,500. Most of that I made back in the tax credit. How did you calculate $11k?

• Informative
Reactions: omkar
Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019
All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

[ TEG mod edit: Editing first post to add this chart that 'Troy' created to explain all the new options ] :

a9ddabb3-50c2-4e82-82cc-77f9e30e8eb9-jpeg.382774
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how does the chart above apply to people who purchased used Teslas? Do we step into the shoes of the original owner and then apply these dates? I just purchased a used 2017 Model S (not from Tesla) that has a build date of 10/17 and I’m told by Tesla that it doesn’t have autopilot at all...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how does the chart above apply to people who purchased used Teslas? Do we step into the shoes of the original owner and then apply these dates? I just purchased a used 2017 Model S (not from Tesla) that has a build date of 10/17 and I’m told by Tesla that it doesn’t have autopilot at all...

If your car has nothing now then your only options are the 'new' AP (cheaper, far less features) and FSD (includes new AP plus all the old EAP features, plus all future features)