Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Wheels/Tires to Soften MYP Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi:
New member today! I have a MYP on order with delivery expected in late March, my first Tesla:). I am thinking about changing to smaller wheels and tires with more sidewall to improve the ride. I would be selling the factory tires/wheels.

Is there a recommended combination that, hopefully, provides about the same overall diameter?

There is a thread where people have swapped rear tire to front and put different size on rear 21” wheel. Pretty much everyone said it was a good improvement in comfort plus harder to curb the wheels. But 19” & 18” will theoretically offer even more improvements though don’t take curves at same speeds as when car has 21” .

That being said, my early 2022 MYP comfort got a bit better around the 5,000 mile mark. Perhaps wheels & suspension broke in or I just got accustomed to the ride. I might try the abi e mentioned 21” wheel changes when it comes time for new tires.

Reactions: cappy1
There is a thread where people have swapped rear tire to front and put different size on rear 21” wheel. Pretty much everyone said it was a good improvement in comfort plus harder to curb the wheels. But 19” & 18” will theoretically offer even more improvements though don’t take curves at same speeds as when car has 21” .

That being said, my early 2022 MYP comfort got a bit better around the 5,000 mile mark. Perhaps wheels & suspension broke in or I just got accustomed to the ride. I might try the abi e mentioned 21” wheel changes when it comes time for new tires.
Thanks, I saw that approach on a YouTube video by the Automotive Fanatic. He moved the rear 275/35/21 tires to the front and bought 295/35/21 tires for rear. This would be the least expensive approach and would have a negligible effect on the speedometer/odometer.

255/50r18 would be same 28" diameter as stock 19"/20"/21" front.
235/55r18 is close too at 28.2" diameter.
255/55r18 is a popular size (29" diameter) from the lifted thread. no rubbing.
245/60r18 is the limit (29.6" diameter) due to front knuckle. some modding of wheel well may be required to prevent rubbing. this is the size i use.

Reactions: cappy1
Hi:
New member today! I have a MYP on order with delivery expected in late March, my first Tesla:). I am thinking about changing to smaller wheels and tires with more sidewall to improve the ride. I would be selling the factory tires/wheels.

Is there a recommended combination that, hopefully, provides about the same overall diameter?
Have you test driven the latest Tesla Performance Model Y? Tesla has modified the suspension to be more compliant on bumps, expansion joints.

When you change from the staggered 21" wheels and tires that come with the Performance Model Y there are some benefits. Not having staggered front and rear wheels means you can rotate front to back when doing tire rotation. There are more tire choices if you change to a 19" wheel. You can also change to an 18" wheel (only a few 18" wheels such as the ones sold by TSportline will clear the brakes on the Performance Model Y), 18" tires may save you money when it is time to buy tires.

18" and 19" wheels and tires would weigh less; it has been documented that switching from the factory 21" wheels to the 19" Gemini wheels can improve efficiency by between 7% and 9%. Lower weight wheels are more efficient; this is especially true at higher speeds.

Engineering Explained - Why Big Wheels are a Bad Idea for Electric Vehicles

Range Loss with Different Size Wheels

Last edited:
255/50r18 would be same 28" diameter as stock 19"/20"/21" front.
235/55r18 is close too at 28.2" diameter.
255/55r18 is a popular size (29" diameter) from the lifted thread. no rubbing.
245/60r18 is the limit (29.6" diameter) due to front knuckle. some modding of wheel well may be required to prevent rubbing. this is the size i use.
Good input. Now I understand how the numbers work.

Guys! Drive the MYP before shelling out 4 grand for replacement tires and rims! The ride is firm, as it should be for a car that can reach a speed of 150 mph. It is not a buckboard by any means. On smooth roads, the ride is smooth and almost supple on the MYP with the staggered Michelins. Potholes, protruding manhole covers, and bumpy roads are not appreciated by this vehicle. But the tires don't burst like the MYP's with Pirellis.

Just drive the car first!

After 2500 miles here in IL I replaced the OEM ties/wheels with some 18s from TSportLine. It’s a while different vehicle. It’s faster, more efficient, are 15 pounds lighter, less glittery on typical roads, quieter I no longer fear pot holes/curbs, can rotate them and are cheaper to replace. On a DD driven on our crappy roads I couldn’t be happier.

Going down in wheel size will make a bigger difference than just swapping tires - but if you don't want to swap wheels, then you can look into getting tires that have a larger sidewall (the "B" number the AA/BB/21 tire sizes for Uberturbines).

Ideas for tires geared towards comfort, but may not all be available in the size(s) you're looking for:

• Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack
  • Vredstein Quatrac
  • Continental PureContact LS
  • Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 3 (or 2)
  • Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV
  • Michelin CrossClimate 2
Personally, I just ordered some 19" wheels from TSportline with Hankook Ion Evo tires. It's expensive AF (approximately $5,000, after all is said and done), so hopefully it's worth it.

You can offset some of the cost by selling your original Uberturbines.

Last edited:
KjO3AYV.jpg

Reactions: Noflash