Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Receiving updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not able to receive updates. It involves my connection to my router. I show 3 bars reception. When I search ,my router shows up. If I go to the router and enter the password it connects. On the line that shows my router there is a dim icon of a lock along with an icon I suppose is an antenna.
It shows that I have update 2020.36.11 available for update. The update at the top of the screen turns red when I click it.
I had successfully updated a couple months ago.

I am not able to receive updates. It involves my connection to my router. I show 3 bars reception. When I search ,my router shows up. If I go to the router and enter the password it connects. On the line that shows my router there is a dim icon of a lock along with an icon I suppose is an antenna.
It shows that I have update 2020.36.11 available for update. The update at the top of the screen turns red when I click it.
When you go to the software section of the menu, what does it say?

Can you please post a photo to show what you mean by "the update at the top of the screen turns red"?

Updates are stagger pushed out to the fleet in batches. You can also open a service appointment and have them push an update to the car.

I wouldn't suggest scheduling a service appt unless there is something wrong w/ the car or it is seriously out of date (2-3 months).

The WiFi symbol should be black if it is full strength, grey if low strength or not connected. When you touch the WiFi symbol it should show a check mark next to the SSID if it is connected.

How far away are you from the access point? How many walls in between? Do you have 2.4 & 5ghz wifi?

It involves my connection to my router.
Every update I have received in 14 months of ownership has been via my phone hotspot
  1. I get notice that an update is available
  2. Before my commute to or from work, I put the car in drive, turn on WiFi (it automatically turns off WiFi when you out your car in gear) and connect to the my hotspot
  3. All but two downloads (one being a maps update) download during my 25 minute drive - even if it doesn't complete, it picks up and completes on the next drive.
  4. Installs while parked (no connection necessary for installation once Dl is complete)

Reactions: lUtriaNt