Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor wifi reception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! My 2019 M3 has always had issues connecting to my wifi network but its always worked (albeit with just one or two bars) when parked closest possible to the house with the right rear mirror (where I understand the antenna is) facing the house. Strangely enough my other stuff like iPhone shows full strength a hundred or so feet away and works just fine even farther, both 2.4 and 5 GHz.
For the latest FSD update however it took some 30 hrs to download.... Going from no reception to very slow (couple kb/s) to 200 kb/s.

Any ideas anyone please? I can't easily permanently move the router closer to the car but could I guess buy a long ethernet cable and just move it when an update is available...

Thanks

Bo

I have this in the garage:

Screenshot_20231012-093504.png

It’s just not great. I have an access point (AP) mounted in my garage directly above our MYLR. Despite that, I had to crank the 5GHz band power up higher than any other AP in our home to get a solid, stable connection. It needed a medium-high transmit power when I usually spec medium-low.

I also had to give the car its own SSID only broadcasting from the garage AP. Our MYLR refuses to connect to a WPA3 network and tends to prefer weak, distant APs instead of the one shouting straight at it.

Only our Nintendo Switch has a worse Wi-Fi implementation.

I'm following this discussion as we don't have an easy wifi option and used to use our son's but then he moved his Access Point so we resorted to either the local Tesla service centre (which is a waste of my time sitting there) or a hotspot off my phone but I only have a 5GB plan and didn't want to wait to the end of the month to figure out if I could download 2023.27.6.

After 9 attempts to assorted weak APs my son had, we finally connected yesterday and then it took over an hour to download so we sort-of outstayed our welcome (the toddler didn't think so but his mom might have!)

Understanding the limitations and tech requirements really help. Simply learning where the antenna is in the car helped a lot when we first started trying download options. At my son's it is better to park on the road than in the driveway, for example.

Thanks all! I bought a well reviewed Netgear WiFi extender… spent hours but can’t get it to work. It will not sense my WiFi.
Basically I give up.
Just don’t see why the antenna in my iPhone which could be maximum 4 inches long can receive a perfect signal when the one in my M3 behind the right rear view mirror, presumably of much the same size, in the same spot, hardly gets anything…

Thanks all! I bought a well reviewed Netgear WiFi extender… spent hours but can’t get it to work. It will not sense my WiFi.
Basically I give up.
Just don’t see why the antenna in my iPhone which could be maximum 4 inches long can receive a perfect signal when the one in my M3 behind the right rear view mirror, presumably of much the same size, in the same spot, hardly gets anything…
Is your Iphone also from 2019?

Well settled for a low tech solution, a 50 ft Ethernet cable! Whenever the next update is available I’ll move the router to the next room over in a window about five ft from the car. Checking it I now see 4 bars on the WiFi indicator and at least judging by loading up Netflix in the car it’s fast.

Basically I give up.
The phones probably use an optimized chip based antenna, while most other devices use more conventional antennas. The phone also likely has more updated wireless connectivity chips, which allows they to squeeze out more speed. When you are making a couple hundred million devices per year, there are optimizations and updates you can afford to make that other lower volume devices simply can't.