Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never yet had to re-boot the dash display, although I did try it once.

I do have to re-boot the 17" display fairly regularly... usually to get Slacker radio working again. One thing with the 17" re-boot is that the system comes up fairly quickly, but it can take 10 to 15 minutes for the 3G connection to come back. This is in a 4 or 5 bar reception area too. Everything will be working, but the signal strength indicator will be flicking from 0 bars to 5 bars and back again for some time, until it finally settles in at 4 or 5 bars and then the 3G indicator will come back on. What's with that?

Thanks for the Heads up! I get my MS on December 3rd and my wife will be driving it back and forth from the Suburbs to Toronto so I need to make sure she's prepared for these things.
Picked up a P85+ as a daily driver.
I'll be lucky to get to drive this in the evenings and weekends.

While driving the other day my touchscreen frooze & rebooted on its own :scared:

I was a couple of blocks from home so I called & reported the issue, they were going to look at my logs & contact me if they found anything serious.

I have over 8,000 miles since May and have never had to reboot. I did it the other day to get the time to update sooner, and just to do it!

Had to re-boot the 17" again this morning. Last time was yesterday. It seems to be something to do with the 3G connection. Slacker will stop and maps stop loading. Again, it took over 10 minutes for the 3G to come back and for Slacker and Maps to come back. Everything else is back up fairly quickly. I don't know if this is unusual or not.

Had to re-boot the 17" again this morning. Last time was yesterday. It seems to be something to do with the 3G connection. Slacker will stop and maps stop loading. Again, it took over 10 minutes for the 3G to come back and for Slacker and Maps to come back. Everything else is back up fairly quickly. I don't know if this is unusual or not.

It's normal - in my experience the 3G always takes a long time to come back up.

How was the current firmware you have loaded to the car? OTA? I have noticed that OTA updates have weird quirks(like 3G taking forever to come back), while SC laptop updates are flawless.

How was the current firmware you have loaded to the car? OTA? I have noticed that OTA updates have weird quirks(like 3G taking forever to come back), while SC laptop updates are flawless.

Well, I'm still on 4.5. All of my updates have been OTA, but I wonder what the difference could be between getting it OTA or at the SC by some sort of direct connection (I presume).

I've had to do the same and yup, it takes a long while to get 3G back. Annoying!

I'm hoping they release a 4G module soon and it'll fix these weird issues.

Look on the bright side, soon™ you'll have FW5.6 and you can just tether your phone in to get around the crappy 3G radio in the car...

Soon © Telsa Motors 2012

Look on the bright side, soon™ you'll have FW5.6 and you can just tether your phone in to get around the crappy 3G radio in the car...

Actually, the 3G has worked reasonably well for me. The maps load fine and Slacker plays great. Besides, I'm still using an iPhone 4 which only has 3G anyway!

I should probably know this, but is the tethering WiFi only, USB only or both WiFi and USB? I've found with my PC, USB tethering is a lot more reliable than WiFi or Bluetooth.

I should probably know this, but is the tethering WiFi only, USB only or both WiFi and USB? I've found with my PC, USB tethering is a lot more reliable than WiFi or Bluetooth.

Tethering typically refers to using a cell phone as a high-speed modem for a PC, connected by a USB cable.

Newer cell phones can also create a WiFi hotspot, which is a wireless network other devices such as computers, phones, tablets, and the Model S (with FW 5.6) can connect to. It works just like a home network but it is generated by your mobile phone rather than a home router or access point. The speed of the network is determined by the mobile network accessed by the phone.

The term Tethering can refer to either USB tethering or WiFi hotspot generation. I know the Model S can access a 4G LTE hotspot because I tested this with my phone during my recent test drive of a FW 5.6 car. Not sure about USB tethering though. Fortunately, I find the hotspot solution easier to setup with my phone anyway.

Both of these methods would allow the Model S access to the benefits of 4G LTE networks without changes the the car's internal hardware.

Did that help at all?

Last edited: