Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Camera (pre-2.5)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry in advance for digging up an old thread. Looking at installing a backup camera and this is by far the most informational thread. I had a question on running the wires. I was able to follow the detail pictures jordanthompson posted to get it under the car. How do you run the wires after it get's the wheel? Furthermore, are there passage to run the wires up to the tail lights between the trunk space and rear grill area? Want to be informed before I start tearing the car apart. Thanks in advance!

Sorry in advance for digging up an old thread. Looking at installing a backup camera and this is by far the most informational thread. I had a question on running the wires. I was able to follow the detail pictures jordanthompson posted to get it under the car. How do you run the wires after it get's the wheel? Furthermore, are there passage to run the wires up to the tail lights between the trunk space and rear grill area? Want to be informed before I start tearing the car apart. Thanks in advance!
Saw my name and of course HAD to respond ;-)
What do you mean by "How do you run the wires after it get's the wheel"
There is no passage, but there is space. You will need to remove one of the brake light assemblies, as I remember.

ahh I see, I do see a lot of empty spaces under the car between the side of the aluminum bar and the rear wheel. Basically just run the wires neatly through the nooks and cranny and securing them to the side of the battery all the way to the rear? looks like it will run past the suspensions. no issues of it getting caught by the suspension?

ahh I see, I do see a lot of empty spaces under the car between the side of the aluminum bar and the rear wheel. Basically just run the wires neatly through the nooks and cranny and securing them to the side of the battery all the way to the rear? looks like it will run past the suspensions. no issues of it getting caught by the suspension?
You'll want to use a fish to take advantage of as much of the cavities and channels as possible. As I recall, the only place where the wire was laying around was between the camera and the channel to the front compartment (nowhere near any moving parts.)

Reactions: drewski
Take the rear fender liner out and you'll see all sorts of wire bundles you can zip tie it onto.

Reactions: drewski
LIke jordonthompson I ran the video wire in the door sill, but used the passenger side and did it at the same time as when I ran the JdeMO harness.

I dropped the entire middle underpanel, but you might be OK with just the right side.

IMG_20200101_145423.jpg

My wire fishing thing (technical term) is a coil / curved which made it a major PITA because of whatever else is going on in there. I eventually suceeded going from the base of the waterfall backwards and then reaching into the cavity up to my elbow to grab it as it was starting to go up the B-Pillar . . .

IMG_20200101_154515.jpg

I went over the wheel well and then back down by the motor fan. Taking the wheel & liner off probably would have made this part easier, but I had the car on ramps for the JdeMO so persevered! The red pigtail you see on the video cable is for the Reverse signal.

IMG_20200201_154449.jpg

Getting the video wire to the radio wasn't too bad through the dash. I went from A-Pillar to the radio area as the reverse direction kept going to the front corner where I couldn't get a hold of the wire fishing thing.

IMG_20200201_151543.jpg

As mentioned, the Tesla install for the JVC radio uses a custom harness. That single green wire is the Speed Sensor input. That connector is where the Video In and Reverse Signal also go.

IMG_20200201_151647.jpg

Luckily the prior owner included a sack of JVC manuals and wiring so I didn't need to acquire this or insert new pins and wires into the stock connector!

IMG_20200201_161528.jpg

A bit of splicing with T-Splice for the Speed Sensor and two butt connectors for the reverse - I have 2 butt connectors because there's a 4.7V 1W Zener diode in between them. If anyone needs a Zener, let me know . . . I got a back of 10 . . . :rolleyes:

IMG_20200201_183522.jpg

At the passenger (right) taillight, the Tesla instructions say tap the Brown wire for Reverse. It's actually Green / Brown - there's two wires I used in the tap - red is for the power to the camera and green (turquoise with flash?) is for reverse signal and connected to the red pigtail in the earlier picture. I tapped into the black wire for Ground.

I had no hemostat like JT and couldn't get a hold the fender washers with my needle nosed pliers as hcsharp had recommended in a taillight thread so lost two washers to the bumper abyss . . . one on removal and one on reassembly.

IMG_20200201_162430.jpg

Here's a picture. I haven't mounted the camera yet, so you get a lot of dirty CF diffuser. Here's a link to a short video showing operation with pressing of Reverse! :D

Hope this helps others who want to try this.

Now I need a 7" screen radio!! :eek:

Last edited: