Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noting here my displeasure with this stupid trunk latching too.. 2015 Model S 90D. I have owned it since 2020. Had the latch and actuator replaced in Jan 2023 and figured I would be done for awhile. Now early 2024 and same problem returned again. That black plug pulling in and out to make it finally release and let me close it proper is nice temporarily. Tesla mobile quoted me $220 or so for the repair. Putting it off till next month will have them fix it. Technically they can usually just replace 1 of the 2 components if they wanted to for helping save yah money but they usually prefer just to go in and replace both it seems.

There must be a major design flaw for us to see all these failures in this thread. Such an amazing car when it fully works but going from my 2007 Ford mustang I kept till 2020 and maybe having 2-3 repairs on it over the years at a super small cost to a Tesla with door handles, trunk latches, mcu, battery heating elements, hv harness components all needing repairs over a short 3 1/2 years has been super frustrating and typically not very cheap cost fixes.

Noting here my displeasure with this stupid trunk latching too.. 2015 Model S 90D. I have owned it since 2020. Had the latch and actuator replaced in Jan 2023 and figured I would be done for awhile. Now early 2024 and same problem returned again. That black plug pulling in and out to make it finally release and let me close it proper is nice temporarily. Tesla mobile quoted me $220 or so for the repair. Putting it off till next month will have them fix it. Technically they can usually just replace 1 of the 2 components if they wanted to for helping save yah money but they usually prefer just to go in and replace both it seems.

There must be a major design flaw for us to see all these failures in this thread. Such an amazing car when it fully works but going from my 2007 Ford mustang I kept till 2020 and maybe having 2-3 repairs on it over the years at a super small cost to a Tesla with door handles, trunk latches, mcu, battery heating elements, hv harness components all needing repairs over a short 3 1/2 years has been super frustrating and typically not very cheap cost fixes.
A year? Maybe the hatch is no longer aligned due to aging hinges and the strut pressure? The cinch can't deal with the friction?
I won't be replacing mine.

Update:

Even though my last repair for same effort was like a year and 2 months ago he put it in as warrantied repair since it was still so close to the annual parts warranty year rule for repairs. I usually dunk on Tesla but today that tech at least did it right. I just hope the thing doesn't brick again in another years time :/ .

+1 to Tesla and this mobile tech this go round.

• Love
Reactions: KalJoMoS and bmah