Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Tie Rod ends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could drill in at a convenient angle, thread the hole and insert a zerk fitting. To once again hear: "Honey, did you get the car greased?"
--
You could do that. Not a bad idea, or you could get a grease needle. You don't even have to poke a hole in the rubber boot with the needle. You can slip it under the boot seal on the threaded shaft of the new tie rod end.

The parts arrived at the end of last week so I spent the weekend installing them. Just for fun I cut the old one open and it was damp and full of rust.
View attachment 88784

You'll notice the long sharp needle with a grease fitting on one end. No, I won't be shooting up lithium [grease], although it might help some of my joints on damp days. That's actually the only way to grease the inner toe links (pictured). You don't insert it through the rubber boot by poking a hole in it. You push it in between each rubber seal and the metal. It takes four hands and makes quite a mess.

If you do this it helps to measure your whole tie rod length before you start so you don't have to do a rear alignment when you're done. I measured the distance from each tie rod end to the rod where the jamb nut butts up against it using calipers.

Only one side was bad but my car is handling much better now. It's especially noticeable on highways or any time you're going fast.

My Toe links are bust on both sides now, and since trying to get parts from Tesla is pretty much useless I want to find alternatives.
Looking at the pictures and part number it really does look like this will be a prefect match?

Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Bushes & Bearings - Rear Toe Link Inner Spherical Joint

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
There is an access hole in the subframe. See below:
IMG_6735.jpg

Had to give up installing the parts myself since there was so much rust, and I got sick.

The front wheel bearings that I ordered did not fit unfortunately, so I had to order new ones from Tesla. The ones I tried was these ones.
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Bushes & Bearings - S2 & VX220 Wheel Bearing

There was several parts that did fit though. So now all there are installed:
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Bushes & Bearings - VX220 Outer Rear Toe Link Ball Joint (Tapered)
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Geometry - Toe Link Rod (OEM Spec)
(inner links removed from the site right now?)
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Suspension - Ball Joint

But, the garage said that the ant rollbar drop links needs to replaced. Does anyone know if that is an interchangeable Lotus part?
For instance these?
https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/67/1129/anti-roll-bar-drop-link/